What Time is it?

Started by Spirit of Molly

Post questions, issues or suggestions regarding LiberalForum.net.

1 replies to this topic Sticky this thread

Posted by Spirit of Molly
  307 28 Dec 2013, 1:15 am

Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 307.05

This will be my last whine for a bit. The quote tags use a url scheme, which is kind of handy, in that one could, when quoting a cite, just put the url to the cite site in the head of the quote. The problem is that it puts in a time stamp based on the poster's local time (I see posts where the quote shows a newer time than the quoting post), which gets kind of confusing. Other forum usually use an index code to identify the quoted post (like "quote=username;597140228"), but that would break the url scheme that holds such promise (for people who can figure out how to use it). This looks like a challenging issue to fix – date/time stamps are usually encoded in a 32 or 64 bit int or FP-double, perhaps setup could use a coding like that, outside the link field, so that quote times might be more universal to everyone.

Thanks for looking into this.
The Internet: faster than the speed of thought – Oscar Wilde

Posted by GeorgeWashington
  -20,519 13 Feb 2014, 12:43 am

GeorgeWashington User avatar

Revolutionary Revolutionary political affiliation
Politics: Revolutionary
Money: -20,518.95

Spirit of Molly » 28 Dec 2013 12:15 am wrote:
This will be my last whine for a bit. The quote tags use a url scheme, which is kind of handy, in that one could, when quoting a cite, just put the url to the cite site in the head of the quote. The problem is that it puts in a time stamp based on the poster's local time (I see posts where the quote shows a newer time than the quoting post), which gets kind of confusing. Other forum usually use an index code to identify the quoted post (like "quote=username;597140228"), but that would break the url scheme that holds such promise (for people who can figure out how to use it). This looks like a challenging issue to fix – date/time stamps are usually encoded in a 32 or 64 bit int or FP-double, perhaps setup could use a coding like that, outside the link field, so that quote times might be more universal to everyone.

Thanks for looking into this.

The only way to manage this would be to track quotes independent of the post. In theory, I have an idea of how this would be accommodated, but it would require a table for quote references which would add more overhead when displaying a thread. Also, nested quotes may make implementation a bit tricky. When I come across the source to ipb I'll take a look at how they handle it.

Return to Site Announcements, Questions, Issues or Suggestions