Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma is enlightening

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
5 posts
NeoConvict

Unread post

Politics: Conservative

Roll Out
Tech executives, engineers, and PhDs explain how social media is driving the increasing polarization that we are seeing around the globe. People are living in their own self created and AI tailored echo chamber of curated misinformation, disinformation, and propaganda. Everyone on the right believes this is a phenomenon of the left. Those on the left believe the opposite. The truth is we are all being manipulated. Give it a watch, I found it pretty compelling and they put some effort into making it deliberately apolitical. 

"I WOULD RATHER HAVE QUESTIONS THAT CANNOT BE ANSWERED...
THAN TO HAVE ANSWERS THAT CANNOT BE QUESTIONED"

SJConspirator

Unread post

Politics: Green

NeoConvict » 16 Sep 2020, 8:01 am » wrote: Tech executives, engineers, and PhDs explain how social media is driving the increasing polarization that we are seeing around the globe. People are living in their own self created and AI tailored echo chamber of curated misinformation, disinformation, and propaganda. Everyone on the right believes this is a phenomenon of the left. Those on the left believe the opposite. The truth is we are all being manipulated. Give it a watch, I found it pretty compelling and they put some effort into making it deliberately apolitical.

sounds cool.  I will watch it
The equal right of all men to the use of land is as clear as their equal right to breathe the air - it is a right proclaimed by the very fact of their existence. Henry George

NeoConvict

Unread post

Roll Out
SJConspirator » 16 Sep 2020, 8:52 am » wrote: sounds cool.  I will watch it
Really demonstrates how everyone is living in a self curated echo chamber when using social media or search engines. Helped explain why people seem to be operating on completely different sets of facts, myself included. 

SJConspirator

Unread post

Politics: Green

NeoConvict » 16 Sep 2020, 10:12 am » wrote: Really demonstrates how everyone is living in a self curated echo chamber when using social media or search engines. Helped explain why people seem to be operating on completely different sets of facts, myself included.

whats crazy about that is facts still exist, it just is harder to find them now.  People lie with statistics, journalism is basically dead and people dont want to discover truths that contradict their already held convictions.  Im sure even I am guilty of it, seeking to have my biases confirmed.

I hate it when I feel something should be true, and its not.  I keep googling for some confirmation of what I think "feels" true.
The equal right of all men to the use of land is as clear as their equal right to breathe the air - it is a right proclaimed by the very fact of their existence. Henry George

NeoConvict

Unread post

Roll Out
SJConspirator » 16 Sep 2020, 11:47 am » wrote: whats crazy about that is facts still exist, it just is harder to find them now.  People lie with statistics, journalism is basically dead and people dont want to discover truths that contradict their already held convictions.  Im sure even I am guilty of it, seeking to have my biases confirmed.

I hate it when I feel something should be true, and its not.  I keep googling for some confirmation of what I think "feels" true.
Agree. Hate it even worse when I cite something that I have heard repeated by a talking head or journalist only to have the point proven false. I try to avoid that but unbiased information is becoming hard to discern from opinions stated as fact. That and the ubiquitous use of strawmen arguments.