If the poor are so hungry why are they so fat?

Started by TheNightStalker

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules

PreviousNext
78 replies to this topic Sticky this thread

User avatar
Posted by Hannibal
  29 09 Jan 2014, 9:23 pm

Hannibal User avatar
Telephone Bossman

Posts: 798
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 28.92



Log in or register to remove this ad..
TheNightStalker » 09 Jan 2014 4:46 pm wrote:


Hannibal and Momma Jones taking a ride.



That's you Idea of a retort ? Faggot say whaaaaaaat ? :huh:
Image
0
Log in or register to remove this ad..

TheNightStalker's Photo
Posted by TheNightStalker
  120 09 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm


Posts: 598
Location: Balls deep in Dano's girlfriend
Libertarian Libertarian political affiliation
Politics: Libertarian
Gender: Male
Money: 120.00

Hannibal » 09 Jan 2014 8:23 pm wrote:
TheNightStalker » 09 Jan 2014 4:46 pm wrote:


Hannibal and Momma Jones taking a ride.



That's you Idea of a retort ? Faggot say whaaaaaaat ? :huh:


Yes that's all I had at the time. Sorry
0

User avatar
Posted by Hannibal
  29 09 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm

Hannibal User avatar
Telephone Bossman

Posts: 798
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 28.92



TheNightStalker » 09 Jan 2014 8:27 pm wrote:

Yes that's all I had at the time. Sorry


Well in that case, in the interest of fairness, I concede. :mrgreen:
0

SallyForth's Photo
Posted by SallyForth
  2,586 10 Jan 2014, 12:57 am

SallyForth      
     

Posts: 2,202
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 2,585.99

golfboy » 09 Jan 2014 8:50 am wrote:
"Bad" foods and "good" foods exist in EVERY store in EVERY neighborhood.
These people eat the "Bad" foods because they are too lazy to expend the effort to actually cook a healthy meal.


I've read up on it. Whole foods are less likely -- and more expensive -- to exist in inner-city markets.
I would very much like to see a credible source cited for that 2nd sentence.
0

Southern indep's Photo
Posted by Southern indep
  12,211 10 Jan 2014, 3:52 am

Southern indep INVICTA REX
INVICTA REX

Posts: 7,684
Location: Somewhere near by
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: Independent
Gender: Male
Money: 12,211.43

SallyForth » 09 Jan 2014 8:41 am wrote:

They're fat not because of how much they eat but the fact that they eat processed, fast-acting carbohydrates in breads, cereals, fruit juices and soft drinks as opposed to eating whole foods like corn, beans, fruits, leafy greens and other slow-acting carbohydrates.

Fast-acting 'bad' carbs in processed foods turn to sugar almost instantly; the body cannot use all this instant energy and stores it as fat. Whole foods do not turn into those sugars and are not stored as fat. If you're poor and live in inner cities, your access to whole foods is limited, and what is available is usually more expensive than what suburbanites can buy at their supermarkets. Food stores in poor areas usually charge more for everything they sell because they know their customers don't have enough money to go elsewhere; they're trapped.


When bad stuff is what is in the stores where you live, what are you going to do?

I have never been in a grocery store with out a produce section or one that did not sell wheat bread....
Good job on taking personal responsibility away from fat people
:clap:
0

Southern indep's Photo
Posted by Southern indep
  12,211 10 Jan 2014, 3:54 am

Southern indep INVICTA REX
INVICTA REX

Posts: 7,684
Location: Somewhere near by
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: Independent
Gender: Male
Money: 12,211.43

SallyForth » 09 Jan 2014 11:57 pm wrote:

I've read up on it. Whole foods are less likely -- and more expensive -- to exist in inner-city markets.
I would very much like to see a credible source cited for that 2nd sentence.


Btw consumers decide on what a markets sells ....
0

User avatar
Posted by Hannibal
  29 10 Jan 2014, 4:51 am

Hannibal User avatar
Telephone Bossman

Posts: 798
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 28.92



Southern indep » 10 Jan 2014 2:54 am wrote:

Btw consumers decide on what a markets sells ....


Of course with the exception of more efficient cars, or lighter smaller cheaper cars and light bulbs. Don't gimme that market decides shit either, our country is full of Banks and Auto makers that should be no longer. Capitalism is for the poor, the wealthy and powerful prefer socialism. Your free market romanticism matches your economic class exactly as intended. :geek:
0

User avatar
Posted by deezer shoove
  11,944 10 Jan 2014, 8:49 am

deezer shoove Bangalore Torpedo
User avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 10,426
Location: 2nd in line (human centipede). Light warm breeze very near anus.
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Gender: Other
Money: 11,943.84



Hannibal » 10 Jan 2014 3:51 am wrote:
Southern indep » 10 Jan 2014 2:54 am wrote:

Btw consumers decide on what a markets sells ....


Of course with the exception of more efficient cars, or lighter smaller cheaper cars and light bulbs. Don't gimme that market decides shit either, our country is full of Banks and Auto makers that should be no longer. Capitalism is for the poor, the wealthy and powerful prefer socialism. Your free market romanticism matches your economic class exactly as intended. :geek:
Sure are a lot of wealthy and powerful here. Everyone knows what they are like, what they do, etc. So out of touch are you elites that you argue about poor fucks that are fat.

Fat people eat shit that isn't healthy and then they don't do anything about it. Rich or poor, how much difference is there? Which store they buy the Twinkies from?
0

User avatar
Posted by Rebel
  7,089 10 Jan 2014, 9:27 am

Rebel Working Class Philosopher
User avatar
      
      

Posts: 5,774
Socialist Socialist political affiliation
Politics: Socialist
Money: 7,088.79



TheNightStalker » 08 Jan 2014 7:20 pm wrote:
I see these fat fucks waddling around the grocery store with their fat fucking kids and paying for it with an EBT card. So why are libs always crying about poverty and kids going hungry? What BULLSHIT. Fucken liars.

Of course, you're far too stupid to understand the correlation between obesity and malnutrition, you fucking moron.
0

SallyForth's Photo
Posted by SallyForth
  2,586 10 Jan 2014, 9:33 am

SallyForth      
     

Posts: 2,202
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 2,585.99

Southern indep » 10 Jan 2014 2:52 am wrote:
I have never been in a grocery store with out a produce section or one that did not sell wheat bread....
Good job on taking personal responsibility away from fat people
:clap:


Take it up with people who've actually studied it.


Limited resources and lack of access to healthy, affordable foods.
Low-income neighborhoods frequently lack full-service grocery stores and farmers’ markets where residents can buy a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products (Beaulac et al., 2009; Larson et al., 2009). Instead, residents – especially those without reliable transportation – may be limited to shopping at small neighborhood convenience and corner stores, where fresh produce and low-fat items are limited, if available at all. One of the most comprehensive reviews of U.S. studies examining neighborhood disparities in food access found that neighborhood residents with better access to supermarkets and limited access to convenience stores tend to have healthier diets and reduced risk for obesity (Larson et al., 2009).


When available, healthy food is often more expensive, whereas refined grains, added sugars, and fats are generally inexpensive and readily available in low-income communities (Drewnowski, 2010; Drewnowski et al., 2007; Drewnowski & Specter, 2004; Monsivais & Drewnowski, 2007; Monsivais & Drewnowski, 2009). Households with limited resources to buy enough food often try to stretch their food budgets by purchasing cheap, energy-dense foods that are filling – that is, they try to maximize their calories per dollar in order to stave off hunger (Basiotis & Lino, 2002; DiSantis et al., 2013; Drewnowski & Specter, 2004; Drewnowski, 2009). While less expensive, energy-dense foods typically have lower nutritional quality and, because of overconsumption of calories, have been linked to obesity (Hartline-Grafton et al., 2009; Howarth et al., 2006; Kant & Graubard, 2005).


When available, healthy food – especially fresh produce – is often of poorer quality in lower income neighborhoods, which diminishes the appeal of these items to buyers (Andreyeva et al., 2008; Zenk et al., 2006).

Low-income communities have greater availability of fast food restaurants, especially near schools (Fleischhacker et al., 2011; Larson et al., 2009; Simon et al., 2008). These restaurants serve many energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods at relatively low prices. Fast food consumption is associated with a diet high in calories and low in nutrients, and frequent consumption may lead to weight gain (Bowman & Vinyard, 2004; Pereira et al., 2005).

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and- ... o-obesity/

Wheat bread turns to sugar the instant it hits your gut, and gets turned into fat in the bloodstream. Fast-acting carbs like that are quite fattening.
Last edited by SallyForth on 10 Jan 2014, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
0

User avatar
Posted by Rebel
  7,089 10 Jan 2014, 9:34 am

Rebel Working Class Philosopher
User avatar
      
      

Posts: 5,774
Socialist Socialist political affiliation
Politics: Socialist
Money: 7,088.79



golfboy » 09 Jan 2014 8:50 am wrote:
SallyForth » 09 Jan 2014 8:41 am wrote:

They're fat not because of how much they eat but the fact that they eat processed, fast-acting carbohydrates in breads, cereals, fruit juices and soft drinks as opposed to eating whole foods like corn, beans, fruits, leafy greens and other slow-acting carbohydrates.

Fast-acting 'bad' carbs in processed foods turn to sugar almost instantly; the body cannot use all this instant energy and stores it as fat. Whole foods do not turn into those sugars and are not stored as fat. If you're poor and live in inner cities, your access to whole foods is limited, and what is available is usually more expensive than what suburbanites can buy at their supermarkets. Food stores in poor areas usually charge more for everything they sell because they know their customers don't have enough money to go elsewhere; they're trapped.


When bad stuff is what is in the stores where you live, what are you going to do?

"Bad" foods and "good" foods exist in EVERY store in EVERY neighborhood.
These people eat the "Bad" foods because they are too lazy to expend the effort to actually cook a healthy meal.

Well, you're wrong again, as usual. When people who are forced to feed a family on a very limited budget cannot afford to buy the kinds of foods Sally described and keep dinner on the table for a month. Of course, if you had even just a few functioning brain cells, you might be able to figure out the obvious for yourself.
0

Southern indep's Photo
Posted by Southern indep
  12,211 10 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

Southern indep INVICTA REX
INVICTA REX

Posts: 7,684
Location: Somewhere near by
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: Independent
Gender: Male
Money: 12,211.43

Hannibal » 10 Jan 2014 3:51 am wrote:

Of course with the exception of more efficient cars, or lighter smaller cheaper cars and light bulbs. Don't gimme that market decides shit either, our country is full of Banks and Auto makers that should be no longer. Capitalism is for the poor, the wealthy and powerful prefer socialism. Your free market romanticism matches your economic class exactly as intended. :geek:

So does your market not carry wheat bread or produce?
0

Southern indep's Photo
Posted by Southern indep
  12,211 10 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

Southern indep INVICTA REX
INVICTA REX

Posts: 7,684
Location: Somewhere near by
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: Independent
Gender: Male
Money: 12,211.43

Rebel » 10 Jan 2014 8:34 am wrote:
Well, you're wrong again, as usual. When people who are forced to feed a family on a very limited budget cannot afford to buy the kinds of foods Sally described and keep dinner on the table for a month. Of course, if you had even just a few functioning brain cells, you might be able to figure out the obvious for yourself.


So five hundred dollars a month on a ebt card isn't enough to feed a family of three nutritional meals?

Stfu and go outside....
0

User avatar
Posted by Technocrat
  28,707 10 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm

Technocrat Alexander Fuckin' Hamilton
User avatar
      
      

Posts: 13,071
Location: New Jersey
Socialist Socialist political affiliation
Politics: Socialist
Gender: Male
Money: 28,707.49



It probably has to do with the relationship between education and poverty. It is not that they don't have access, but that they don't have the education to understand what foods to eat. You can live pretty cheaply without resorting to fast foods or processed foods, because those are actually MORE expensive than good foods. You can get a bag of rice and vegetables very cheaply.

There are also a lot of poor skinny people. If you are very fat and poor, it is probably a decision-making problem or lack of knowledge. They either don't realize the processed foods are more expensive, worse for you or they lack the cooking skills to prepare the other foods.


It's just not cost effective to feed your family on processed foods or fast foods, given a low budget.
0

Southern indep's Photo
Posted by Southern indep
  12,211 10 Jan 2014, 1:11 pm

Southern indep INVICTA REX
INVICTA REX

Posts: 7,684
Location: Somewhere near by
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: Independent
Gender: Male
Money: 12,211.43

Now, 83 federal welfare programs combined represent the largest federal expenditure. In 2011 alone, $1.028 trillion was spent on welfare payments.

Read more: http://benswann.com/welfare-recipients- ... z2q1JyhJyb
0

User avatar
Posted by Technocrat
  28,707 10 Jan 2014, 1:24 pm

Technocrat Alexander Fuckin' Hamilton
User avatar
      
      

Posts: 13,071
Location: New Jersey
Socialist Socialist political affiliation
Politics: Socialist
Gender: Male
Money: 28,707.49



That is the job of the state. To take care of its citizens. Rather it be spent on welfare than something else.
0

User avatar
Posted by Hannibal
  29 10 Jan 2014, 1:34 pm

Hannibal User avatar
Telephone Bossman

Posts: 798
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 28.92



deezer shoove » 10 Jan 2014 7:49 am wrote:
Sure are a lot of wealthy and powerful here. Everyone knows what they are like, what they do, etc. So out of touch are you elites that you argue about poor fucks that are fat.

Fat people eat shit that isn't healthy and then they don't do anything about it. Rich or poor, how much difference is there? Which store they buy the Twinkies from?


I am not wealthy, I am not programed either. :ninja:
0

Southern indep's Photo
Posted by Southern indep
  12,211 10 Jan 2014, 1:53 pm

Southern indep INVICTA REX
INVICTA REX

Posts: 7,684
Location: Somewhere near by
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: Independent
Gender: Male
Money: 12,211.43

SallyForth » 10 Jan 2014 8:33 am wrote:

Take it up with people who've actually studied it.


Limited resources and lack of access to healthy, affordable foods.
Low-income neighborhoods frequently lack full-service grocery stores and farmers’ markets where residents can buy a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products (Beaulac et al., 2009; Larson et al., 2009). Instead, residents – especially those without reliable transportation – may be limited to shopping at small neighborhood convenience and corner stores, where fresh produce and low-fat items are limited, if available at all. One of the most comprehensive reviews of U.S. studies examining neighborhood disparities in food access found that neighborhood residents with better access to supermarkets and limited access to convenience stores tend to have healthier diets and reduced risk for obesity (Larson et al., 2009).


When available, healthy food is often more expensive, whereas refined grains, added sugars, and fats are generally inexpensive and readily available in low-income communities (Drewnowski, 2010; Drewnowski et al., 2007; Drewnowski & Specter, 2004; Monsivais & Drewnowski, 2007; Monsivais & Drewnowski, 2009). Households with limited resources to buy enough food often try to stretch their food budgets by purchasing cheap, energy-dense foods that are filling – that is, they try to maximize their calories per dollar in order to stave off hunger (Basiotis & Lino, 2002; DiSantis et al., 2013; Drewnowski & Specter, 2004; Drewnowski, 2009). While less expensive, energy-dense foods typically have lower nutritional quality and, because of overconsumption of calories, have been linked to obesity (Hartline-Grafton et al., 2009; Howarth et al., 2006; Kant & Graubard, 2005).


When available, healthy food – especially fresh produce – is often of poorer quality in lower income neighborhoods, which diminishes the appeal of these items to buyers (Andreyeva et al., 2008; Zenk et al., 2006).

Low-income communities have greater availability of fast food restaurants, especially near schools (Fleischhacker et al., 2011; Larson et al., 2009; Simon et al., 2008). These restaurants serve many energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods at relatively low prices. Fast food consumption is associated with a diet high in calories and low in nutrients, and frequent consumption may lead to weight gain (Bowman & Vinyard, 2004; Pereira et al., 2005).

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and- ... o-obesity/

Wheat bread turns to sugar the instant it hits your gut, and gets turned into fat in the bloodstream. Fast-acting carbs like that are quite fattening.


Sugar dumpling....
I'm a maintenance mechanic in federally subsidized housing....(project maintenance man)
I don't have to read a study on people living off the guberment Teat ....
I know some work and need the help and I also know guberment handouts is a way of life for some...


Besides that, you don't think a supermarket that sells flour And cooking oil doesn't sell produce and whole wheat bread??

:rofl:

Besides around here welfare recipient's can call a cab to The store on the taxpayer dime...
0

GOP SS's Photo
Posted by GOP SS
  781 10 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

GOP SS    
   

Posts: 729
Location: ZOG JOG FEMA Region V
Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Gender: Male
Money: 781.26


User avatar
Posted by Technocrat
  28,707 10 Jan 2014, 2:26 pm

Technocrat Alexander Fuckin' Hamilton
User avatar
      
      

Posts: 13,071
Location: New Jersey
Socialist Socialist political affiliation
Politics: Socialist
Gender: Male
Money: 28,707.49



What they ought to do is eliminate the entire welfare system and provide everyone with a type of check for basic living. Similar to that proposed by Milton Friedman. Not only would this eliminate a lot of government waste in bureaucracy, it would be more streamlined and still provide the social safety net. At the same time, the department of health and human services should offer bonus subsidies for healthful living purchases.
0


PreviousNext

Return to No Holds Barred Political Forum

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

Who has visited this topic