This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Politics: Insurrectionist

WhistleSNAP
Famagusta » 29 Mar 2020 4:41 am » wrote:
He said that every time he ate a Madeleine, it evoked childhood memories.

A sort of deja vu. He was transported back to that moment.
Ah.

I have made an effort for many years to avoid nostalgia - though tastes and smells will trigger it routinely. I have had to invent methods to avoid allowing it to seduce me - nostalgia overfeeds us (a mostly false memory of) the past while starving our experience of the present. :)

I would prefer to be one with the madeleine, here and now. Enjoying yesteryear's madeleine is, for me, finished and filed business.

I will eat from a different colored plate and drink from a different style of mug depending on my mood - I am not a one mug man. I have quite literally made the decision of what apartment complex to move into based on the color of the flowers near the pool. I like very much to be in the present, and I strive to surround myself with beauty and luxury - an easy matter cheaply seen to, living in this land and in this century. Then, I consider a hot shower a luxury - a comfortable mattress a luxury. I genuinely do abide in a state of gratitude and appreciation for my surroundings. I live in a house with a pool - that is also a wonderful luxury. There lives in the house - and about the house - a certain cat. I cannot remember her name, but I pet her every day, as she is both a luxury and luxuriant. I speak very passable feline, so we converse - I in clicks and purrs, she in proffered dead birds. We both know what the other means.

I must purchase some madeleines, now, the next time I shop. :LOL:
Tax dollars are like people. The farther from home, the worse they behave.

When your map disputes the territory, your map is wrong - not the territory.
There is no retreating FROM a home - only to
"Invisible Hands" pick pockets
Humanity's law of the jungle is survival of the tribe

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Nostalgia is a crime against past and present
You cannot betray me, only yourself, to me

Famagusta

Share      Unread post

Politics: Libertarian

Cannonpointer » 29 Mar 2020 4:55 am » wrote: Ah.

I have made an effort for many years to avoid nostalgia - though tastes and smells will trigger it routinely. I have had to invent methods to avoid allowing it to seduce me - nostalgia overfeeds us (a mostly false memory of) the past while starving our experience of the present. :)

I would prefer to be one with the madeleine, here and now. Enjoying yesteryear's madeleine is, for me, finished and filed business.

I will eat from a different colored plate and drink from a different style of mug depending on my mood - I am not a one mug man. I have quite literally made the decision of what apartment complex to move into based on the color of the flowers near the pool. I like very much to be in the present, and I strive to surround myself with beauty and luxury - an easy matter cheaply seen to, living in this land and in this century. Then, I consider a hot shower a luxury - a comfortable mattress a luxury. I genuinely do abide in a state of gratitude and appreciation for my surroundings. I live in a house with a pool - that is also a wonderful luxury. There lives in the house - and about the house - a certain cat. I cannot remember her name, but I pet her every day, as she is both a luxury and luxuriant. I speak very passable feline, so we converse - I in clicks and purrs, she in proffered dead birds. We both know what the other means.

I must purchase some madeleines, now, the next time I shop. :LOL:
It's not so much about nostalgia. One can summon that up at any time, and wallow in it.

The deja vu thing is a physical manifestation, something triggered in the brain.

I get one sometimes by the smell of fresh coffee in the mornings.

Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man

WhistleSNAP
Famagusta » 29 Mar 2020 5:03 am » wrote:
It's not so much about nostalgia. One can summon that up at any time, and wallow in it.

The deja vu thing is a physical manifestation, something triggered in the brain.

Indeed, I agree emphatically.

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Politics: Theocratic

Famagusta » 29 Mar 2020 5:03 am » wrote:

Sense of smell is an extremely strong mental stimulus.

Omni Magazine did an extensive article on it 20 years ago. That was a great magazine.

It's a wonder that I dismiss aroma therapy as crap. Maybe I've never been presented with the right stink. ;)

Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

Famagusta

Share      Unread post

Politics: Libertarian

deezer shoove » 29 Mar 2020 8:34 am » wrote:
Sense of smell is an extremely strong mental stimulus.

Omni Magazine did an extensive article on it 20 years ago. That was a great magazine.

It's a wonder that I dismiss aroma therapy as crap. Maybe I've never been presented with the right stink. ;)
Maybe you've never looked for it. :geek:

That aside, America has a smell. As soon as I leave the plane.

I always go to one of those bath shops in the mall, to bring back some kind of spray, to remind me.

But the best of all, for me, is the South of France. A land of the senses.

nuckin futz

Share      Unread post

Politics: Independent

Cannonpointer » 29 Mar 2020 5:21 am » wrote: Indeed, I agree emphatically.
Don't you love the smell of burning napalm and flesh in the morning, Colonel Kurtz?

Slavery is the fiction that people are property
Corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people

Hat_Creek

Share      Unread post

Rock » 26 Mar 2020 7:03 pm » wrote:There's just too much **** going down. I'm considering checking out.

Perhaps you set your expectations too high.

I expect less whenever I'm here.

If I don't get it, then I deliver it myself.

SJConspirator

Share      Unread post

Politics: Green

Cannonpointer » 27 Mar 2020 7:05 pm » wrote: That's the bulk of it - pining for what is not takes us out of the present moment, robbing us of its absolute perfection. That is why the aphorism actually reads, "Nostalgia is a crime against the past and the present." I hadda check my siggy, which one cannot do while typing a post.

The saddest element of the crime is that during the making of the memories now pined for, the nostalgia perpetrator will inevitably be found to have been pining away for some OTHER past (now past perfect if memory and grammar do not deceive). Waiting years to enjoy the present while perpetually denying the current present... wait... ****.

I sound kind of like omh...

****. Is this it? Is it over for me? :omg:

The past is gone but something might be found to take its place

https://youtu.be/9Zan2BqlAmA
The equal right of all men to the use of land is as clear as their equal right to breathe the air - it is a right proclaimed by the very fact of their existence. Henry George

crimsongulf

Share      Unread post

Politics: Capitalist

AbitaBeer
I get nostalgic for the smell of two-stroke motors.
THANKS SALLY

PersistenceofBullSh

Share      Unread post

Cannonpointer » 29 Mar 2020 5:21 am » wrote: Indeed, I agree emphatically.
What about physical nostalgia. Mom's wedding ring. Pictures. Old love letters. Just want your nostalgia view on physical objects.

This is so easy without all the noise.
Last note to myself. I did everything by the book.5/22/20

Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man

WhistleSNAP
PersistenceofMemory » 29 Mar 2020 5:53 pm » wrote: What about physical nostalgia. Mom's wedding ring. Pictures. Old love letters. Just want your nostalgia view on physical objects.

This is so easy without all the noise.
A portrait of my grandmother that I commissioned in 1977 hangs on my wall wherever I hang my hat (and yes, I have hats - not caps).

My sainted mother's photo is within arm's reach on my dresser.

I distinguish between adoration and nostalgia - and I genuinely adore my mother and my grandmother. They were the best of the best, and their portraits are now my talismans.

Cedar

Share      Unread post

Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Politics: Classical Liberal