This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
OdeToJoy

Share      Unread post

Politics: Progressive

Buffalo » 09 Mar 2022, 8:24 pm » wrote: But do you know suffering?  Have you really experienced it first hand?
You bet.  I was a divorced mother raising 3 young daughters. I spent most of my life chasing down my deadbeat ex husband for child support. I, at times, was a recipient of food banks; and later on a volunteer. I worked 2 full time jobs to pay college tuition for my daughters.  Plus I did overtime.  Some weeks I worked almost 100 hours.

I worked 40 grueling years to provide a future for my daughters and myself.

I did it all by myself.

Do you think I understand suffering?

1 Nomination

Cannonpointer Mar 09, 2022

Go to original post on Mar 09, 2022 6:36pm
Go to nomination on Mar 09, 2022 8:42pm
Last edited by OdeToJoy on 16 Mar 2022, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Annoyed Liberall awarded winner

FOS

Share      Unread post

Politics: Fascist

I think it might help people understand who is male or female if we do a crash course on what biological sex actually is and why it came about. 

First of all it is not limited to humans. Many life forms do have a biological sex. And all of them have 2 sexes, like humans. 

Asexual reproduction worked fine for billions of years...and still works for rather simple organisms. 

But asexual reproduction has a downside: it is basically a clone. Therefore a species will change extremely slowly with a sexual reproduction which may be a good thing if it's survival strategy is simple and not much hurt by changes in circumstance...but is bad as a species becomes more complex and tries to exist in a particular ecological niche that is subject to change. 

The arms race therefore that initiated between predator and prey in the history of life resulted in the Cambrian explosion and also made greater genetic diversity imperative. 

Biological sex evolved as a way to provide this. Despite making reproduction more difficult...it does introduce a massive amount of genetic diversity...because the lifeform receives half the DNA from one parent and half from the other. 

The closer 2 parents are to each other genetically the closer the reproduction is to cloning. It also results in 'inbreeding depression' thay leftists love to accuse white people of. But there is also the opposite issue called 'outbreeding depression' which is that if the parents are very different genetically than any fine tuning their genes may have had is lost when they reproduce and their offspring is not particularly adapted to anything at all. 

it is very difficult to imagine why a third sex would ever be introduced because that wouldnonly make reproduction even more difficult while providing no extra amount of genetic diversity...it would still be a question of how genetically close the 3 sexes are... 

therefore even if we found some alien life form that also engaged I sexual reproduction logically we could assume they only have 2 sexes. A third sex would have no reason to evolve because it has no advantage. 

1 Nomination

Cannonpointer Apr 03, 2022

Go to original post on Apr 04, 2022 2:44pm
Go to nomination on Apr 04, 2022 4:49pm
Last edited by FOS on 06 Apr 2022, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skans

Share      Unread post

Politics: Republican

@Vegas  and @Blackvegetable , it's time to square off and see who can solve this first.  Everyone else, please refrain from posting any hints or answers...at least till this evening.
A A B C E H A C B A C D E E
C E
H I
B M
F J
K R

1 Nomination

Cannonpointer Apr 07, 2022

Go to original post on Apr 08, 2022 7:42am
Go to nomination on Apr 08, 2022 2:48pm
Last edited by Skans on 11 Apr 2022, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeWashington

Share      Unread post

Politics: Revolutionary

BeerPopcorn
Last edited by GeorgeWashington on 15 Apr 2022, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeWashington

Share      Unread post

Politics: Revolutionary

BeerPopcorn
Last edited by GeorgeWashington on 21 Apr 2022, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taipan

Share      Unread post

Politics: Libertarian

1.  Ukraine is a neighbor of Europe.......& European Union NATO.
2.  If Ukraine is under attack from Communist Aggression, then E.U. NATO is threatened.
3.  If E.U. NATO has a problem, then the 3 nations on 'this side of the pond' should show up tall, strong,
     & proud, as loyal friends & Allies, of E.U. NATO and assist them with that problem.
4.  "United we stand......divided we fall".   
     "We will hang together.....or we will most assuredly hang.....separately".  Ben Franklin, 1776.
     "There is strength in unity".   Gen. Custer who divided his big force into 3 smaller ones.
5.  Ukraine is an agriculture nation that produces major amounts of wheat, corn, & soybean.  They
     export.  They are a major breadbasket for Europe.   There will be no harvest this year. 
     Global food prices will rise.   The poor will suffer.
6.  The unprovoked Communist Russian Bear viciously attacked their peaceful neighbor.
      Just like Hitler attacked Poland in 1939.     This is the exact opposite of Christian behavior in both
      cases.   No one should support violent Communist Aggression.   Everyone across the Earth should
      stand up against it.     Just like we stood against the Nazi Domination of Europe in WW II.
7.   NATO should fund Ukraine w/ everything Ukraine is asking for.   E.U. NATO should pay 66%
     & be the leaders of this conflict.       Let's drive the Russian Bear.......back into his den.
8.  The 3 nations on this side of the Atlantic should be strong assistants to our friends & pay 33%.
      Which 3 nations?    The U.S., Canada, & Tejas.     And the nation of Tejas is stronger than the
      nation of Ukraine.        And Ukraine can hang tooth & nail w/  the Russian War Machine.
9.  Germany, Britain, France, Poland, & all the other are gearing up right now for major conflict
     w/ the Bear.
10.Germany has about 50 of our F-35 Lightning II's.   The best fighter jets on the planet.   
     Air superiority......anywhere, anytime.
11. "Peace......through superior firepower".
12.  "Walk softly......& carry a big stick".               President Teddy Roosevelt, 1900.
13.  "To find Peace......one must prepare for War".     Sun-Tzu, 500 B.C.
14.  "A coward dies a 1000 times,.........but the brave man only once".     William Shakespeare.
15.  Austin, TX to Moscow........."Don't start no ****,...& there won't be none".

@Cannonpointer  
@Jinn Martini  
@FOS  
@righteous  

https://youtu.be/AGRUd4IIna8

1 Nomination

Skans Apr 20, 2022

Go to original post on Apr 20, 2022 1:59pm
Go to nomination on Apr 21, 2022 10:58am
Last edited by Taipan on 21 Apr 2022, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Politics: Insurrectionist

WhistleSNAP
Neo » 26 Apr 2022, 6:45 am » wrote: He's obviously not anti large government but he has a history of being pro speech. Even speech that might hurt a feeling or two. I don't see him as a savior for the first ammendment but perhaps he can reverse the direction Twitter has taken over the past 6 years.
In the immediate circumstance, I have no argument against your position. I'm asking about Musk's role in our society in a larger context, and I am arguing that he is a mightly leaky vessel for the right to be loading with the precious cargo of its aspirations for a more just society. He's a money boy - part of the problem, not part of the solution. 

It seems to me that today's conservative is quickly evolving to be a post-Reagan conservative. This notion that one fellow has a "right" to hundreds of billions because he "earned" them seems to be waning in the conservative world view. At least, I hope it is. At some point, people need to grow up and acknowledge that no one person is providing more value than the country of Lichtenstein or the country of Bulgaria - not in the world of ratonal adults.

There are 211 countries on the planet. Only the top 11 produce in the trillions. All of the rest, save Turks and Caicos, produce in the billions (T&C produces in the hundreds of millions). The top 53 produce above 200 billion. That means that Elon Musk's net worth is above the annual production of 158 nation states. Arguably, quite a number more. I am only placing his net worth at 200 billion - and as I understand it, the number is considerably higher. So the question arises: I this incredible (pre-Reagan unthinkable) disparity a product of a just system, or the product of pillage? And if it is the product of pillage, is Elon Musk not then by definition a pillager? And if he is a pillager, how, then, ought we to look at him as a friend of the working man - a person whose interests converge with those of working families?

The Democrats represented working families under FDR - right through to Clinton. Then they found their "third way." And they abandoned their base, becoming friends of wall street. They scooched the Republicans and shared a bench for a bit. And now, the Republicans have been scooched mightily - to the point that democrats are getting a great deal more wall street money than Republicans. And so it behooves the Republican party to make a choice. It is my hope that the Republican party will follow the lead of folks like DeSantis and Perry, and begin responding to the needs and interests of working families - the abandoned base of the Democrat party. And to do that effectively, they need to be internally consistent in their thinking - not serving two masters. I believe that the Elon Musk phenomenon is the very embodiment of the psychological predicment in which the Republican party finds itself. And you can see the schizophrenia of today's Republican writ large in this issue. Musk is "our" Soros - so he's a good guy. Soros is "their" Musk - so he's a bad guy.

Musk and Soros are two of a kind - that is my argument in a nutshell. Neither is a friend of working families.

1 Nomination

SJConspirator Apr 25, 2022

Go to original post on Apr 26, 2022 8:25am

Go to nomination on Apr 26, 2022 4:05pm
Last edited by Cannonpointer on 29 Apr 2022, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.