The future of American labor

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
158 posts
User avatar
SJConspirator

Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,517
Politics: Green

Ever since NAFTA, we have been basically a service economy that outsourced the production of goods to Mexico.  These days it’s a miracle if you can find a car, washer/dryer, computer, lawnmower, or AC unit that was made in the U.S.

Automation then came and wiped out a good portion of the service jobs, with robots replacing cashiers at large retail chains, robots replacing bank tellers with ATMS, robots replacing factory line workers.  Soon they will replace truck drivers with self driving automobiles.  

then Covid came along and had devastating impact on several industries, including fitness clubs, meat packing/processing, spas/masseuse, sporting event employment, any jobs that were needed at a venue with a large live audience and lots of waiters/waitresses as restaurants closed their dining lobbies and went to a business model of all deliveries.  Deliveries have soared in the wake of coronavirus, with Uber eats and similar food delivery services booming.  

Work at home jobs have increased, for jobs that can be done remotely such as telemarketing, data entry, freelance writing and research etc.  

There was a fragile, futile hope that has been smashed... that Covid would just go away and we could go back to our normal daily lives.  Sadly, this is not the case, as we are seeing more and more cases spring up when we become lax in our safety precautions.

The jobs that will continue to grow are work at home types of jobs, and Delivery jobs, and some others.  Amazon and Fedex will continue hiring, and what will happen eventually is the same thing that happened during the advent of American slavery in the late 18th century.  It was a process called seasoning.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(colonialism)

Africans were known to be more resistant to malaria.  African jungles had much more potent strains of malaria than even the deep dense Georgia swamps.  There were camps on the west coast of Africa, where slaves would be intentionally infected with powerful strains of malaria.  The ones that survived would be bound for the middle passage to the Americas.  Once arrived, they would be taken to auction, and the slaves that were seasoned would command higher prices.

Eventually, a standard question on a job application will be

“have you been exposed to/infected by the coronavirus?”

If the applicant has been so exposed, and survived, he /she will be more employable.  Those who have yet to be sick from Covid will be less valuable in the market.

 
 
Log in or Register to remove ads

The equal right of all men to the use of land is as clear as their equal right to breathe the air - it is a right proclaimed by the very fact of their existence. Henry George

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

SJConspirator » 27 Jun 2020, 1:12 am » wrote: Ever since NAFTA, we have been basically a service economy that outsourced the production of goods to Mexico.  These days it’s a miracle if you can find a car, washer/dryer, computer, lawnmower, or AC unit that was made in the U.S.

Automation then came and wiped out a good portion of the service jobs, with robots replacing cashiers at large retail chains, robots replacing bank tellers with ATMS, robots replacing factory line workers.  Soon they will replace truck drivers with self driving automobiles.  

then Covid came along and had devastating impact on several industries, including fitness clubs, meat packing/processing, spas/masseuse, sporting event employment, any jobs that were needed at a venue with a large live audience and lots of waiters/waitresses as restaurants closed their dining lobbies and went to a business model of all deliveries.  Deliveries have soared in the wake of coronavirus, with Uber eats and similar food delivery services booming.  

Work at home jobs have increased, for jobs that can be done remotely such as telemarketing, data entry, freelance writing and research etc.  

There was a fragile, futile hope that has been smashed... that Covid would just go away and we could go back to our normal daily lives.  Sadly, this is not the case, as we are seeing more and more cases spring up when we become lax in our safety precautions.

The jobs that will continue to grow are work at home types of jobs, and Delivery jobs, and some others.  Amazon and Fedex will continue hiring, and what will happen eventually is the same thing that happened during the advent of American slavery in the late 18th century.  It was a process called seasoning.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(colonialism)

Africans were known to be more resistant to malaria.  African jungles had much more potent strains of malaria than even the deep dense Georgia swamps.  There were camps on the west coast of Africa, where slaves would be intentionally infected with powerful strains of malaria.  The ones that survived would be bound for the middle passage to the Americas.  Once arrived, they would be taken to auction, and the slaves that were seasoned would command higher prices.

Eventually, a standard question on a job application will be

“have you been exposed to/infected by the coronavirus?”

If the applicant has been so exposed, and survived, he /she will be more employable.  Those who have yet to be sick from Covid will be less valuable in the market.
Just know this. If you give an employer a chance to have cheaper labor they will take it. It's all about the money buddy. 
 

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

It's like this. Employee x costs ten dollars an hour.
Employee y cost twenty bucks an hour.

Same qualifications.

Which one are you going to hire.

Labor is the most costly part of production

And given the choice.

The employer is going to hire the cheaper employee Everytime.

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:33 am » wrote:
SJConspirator » 27 Jun 2020, 1:12 am » wrote: Ever since NAFTA, we have been basically a service economy that outsourced the production of goods to Mexico.  These days it’s a miracle if you can find a car, washer/dryer, computer, lawnmower, or AC unit that was made in the U.S.

Automation then came and wiped out a good portion of the service jobs, with robots replacing cashiers at large retail chains, robots replacing bank tellers with ATMS, robots replacing factory line workers.  Soon they will replace truck drivers with self driving automobiles.  

then Covid came along and had devastating impact on several industries, including fitness clubs, meat packing/processing, spas/masseuse, sporting event employment, any jobs that were needed at a venue with a large live audience and lots of waiters/waitresses as restaurants closed their dining lobbies and went to a business model of all deliveries.  Deliveries have soared in the wake of coronavirus, with Uber eats and similar food delivery services booming.  

Work at home jobs have increased, for jobs that can be done remotely such as telemarketing, data entry, freelance writing and research etc.  

There was a fragile, futile hope that has been smashed... that Covid would just go away and we could go back to our normal daily lives.  Sadly, this is not the case, as we are seeing more and more cases spring up when we become lax in our safety precautions.

The jobs that will continue to grow are work at home types of jobs, and Delivery jobs, and some others.  Amazon and Fedex will continue hiring, and what will happen eventually is the same thing that happened during the advent of American slavery in the late 18th century.  It was a process called seasoning.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(colonialism)

Africans were known to be more resistant to malaria.  African jungles had much more potent strains of malaria than even the deep dense Georgia swamps.  There were camps on the west coast of Africa, where slaves would be intentionally infected with powerful strains of malaria.  The ones that survived would be bound for the middle passage to the Americas.  Once arrived, they would be taken to auction, and the slaves that were seasoned would command higher prices.

Eventually, a standard question on a job application will be

“have you been exposed to/infected by the coronavirus?”

If the applicant has been so exposed, and survived, he /she will be more employable.  Those who have yet to be sick from Covid will be less valuable in the market.
Just know this. If you give an employer a chance to have cheaper labor they will take it. It's all about the money buddy. 
 

 
and if you give the employee a chance to have a larger salary they will take it too. It’s all about the money buddy. The balance of a free market.

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:35 am » wrote: It's like this. Employee x costs ten dollars an hour.
Employee y cost twenty bucks an hour.

Same qualifications.

Which one are you going to hire.

Labor is the most costly part of production

And given the choice.

The employer is going to hire the cheaper employee Everytime.

 
it’s like this. Employer X pays ten dollars an hour. Employer Y pays 20 bucks an hour

same job

which job are you going to accept.

freedom is the best part of the free market

and given the choice

the employee is going to choose the higher paying job. I hope.

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:36 am » wrote: and if you give the employee a chance to have a larger salary they will take it too. It’s all about the money buddy. The balance of a free market.


​​​​​​Not necessarily. I know folks that will pass up a good paying job because it's union. 

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:39 am » wrote: it’s like this. Employer X pays ten dollars an hour. Employer Y pays 20 bucks an hour

same job

which job are you going to accept.

freedom is the best part of the free market

and given the choice

the employee is going to choose the higher paying job. I hope.

Not all employees want higher wages. Some pass right to work laws which drive down wages. 

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:39 am » wrote:
promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:36 am » wrote: and if you give the employee a chance to have a larger salary they will take it too. It’s all about the money buddy. The balance of a free market.


​​​​​​Not necessarily. I know folks that will pass up a good paying job because it's union. 

 
That’s a personal choice and it’s the purpose of a free market. You get to choose your employer. You get to choose whether or not there is a union. Etc
 

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

And slave labor wasn't all about being immune to malaria. The fact is they had a labor shortage and the slaves were expensive at first but paid for themselves in no time flat.

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:40 am » wrote:
promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:39 am » wrote: it’s like this. Employer X pays ten dollars an hour. Employer Y pays 20 bucks an hour

same job

which job are you going to accept.

freedom is the best part of the free market

and given the choice

the employee is going to choose the higher paying job. I hope.

Not all employees want higher wages. Some pass right to work laws which drive down wages. 

 
so choose, in a free market, the employer that does give higher wages. And abolish right to work laws which wrongfully regulate the free market and prevent the worker from getting the wage he she or they deserves

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:43 am » wrote: so choose, in a free market, the employer that does give higher wages. And abolish right to work laws which wrongfully regulate the free market and prevent the worker from getting the wage he she or they deserves

I agree with abolishing right to work laws 

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:43 am » wrote: And slave labor wasn't all about being immune to malaria. The fact is they had a labor shortage and the slaves were expensive at first but paid for themselves in no time flat.

 
slaves are not free to choose their work in a free market. It’s different.

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:44 am » wrote:
promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:43 am » wrote: so choose, in a free market, the employer that does give higher wages. And abolish right to work laws which wrongfully regulate the free market and prevent the worker from getting the wage he she or they deserves

I agree with abolishing right to work laws 

 
Let’s abolish some more along the way
 

User avatar
Phelix_Dacat

Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 862
Politics: Liberal

Antifa
SJConspirator » 27 Jun 2020, 1:12 am » wrote: Ever since NAFTA, we have been basically a service economy that outsourced the production of goods to Mexico.  These days it’s a miracle if you can find a car, washer/dryer, computer, lawnmower, or AC unit that was made in the U.S.

Automation then came and wiped out a good portion of the service jobs, with robots replacing cashiers at large retail chains, robots replacing bank tellers with ATMS, robots replacing factory line workers.  Soon they will replace truck drivers with self driving automobiles.  

then Covid came along and had devastating impact on several industries, including fitness clubs, meat packing/processing, spas/masseuse, sporting event employment, any jobs that were needed at a venue with a large live audience and lots of waiters/waitresses as restaurants closed their dining lobbies and went to a business model of all deliveries.  Deliveries have soared in the wake of coronavirus, with Uber eats and similar food delivery services booming.  

Work at home jobs have increased, for jobs that can be done remotely such as telemarketing, data entry, freelance writing and research etc.  

There was a fragile, futile hope that has been smashed... that Covid would just go away and we could go back to our normal daily lives.  Sadly, this is not the case, as we are seeing more and more cases spring up when we become lax in our safety precautions.

The jobs that will continue to grow are work at home types of jobs, and Delivery jobs, and some others.  Amazon and Fedex will continue hiring, and what will happen eventually is the same thing that happened during the advent of American slavery in the late 18th century.  It was a process called seasoning.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(colonialism)

Africans were known to be more resistant to malaria.  African jungles had much more potent strains of malaria than even the deep dense Georgia swamps.  There were camps on the west coast of Africa, where slaves would be intentionally infected with powerful strains of malaria.  The ones that survived would be bound for the middle passage to the Americas.  Once arrived, they would be taken to auction, and the slaves that were seasoned would command higher prices.

Eventually, a standard question on a job application will be

“have you been exposed to/infected by the coronavirus?”

If the applicant has been so exposed, and survived, he /she will be more employable.  Those who have yet to be sick from Covid will be less valuable in the market.
An interesting argument but it leads me to an inevitable question.

If a person who has been infected with Covid-19 and survived is so desirable as an employee that it will soon be the one thing that will tip the scales between otherwise equal candidates, why is the military classifying all such people as permanently disqualified from joining the military?

I wonder what they know that we do not know, yet.
“During the medical history interview or examination, a history of COVID-19, confirmed by either a laboratory test or a clinician diagnosis, is permanently disqualifying ...”
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... -military/

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Phelix_Dacat » 27 Jun 2020, 1:47 am » wrote: An interesting argument but it leads me to an inevitable question.

If a person who has been infected with Covid-19 and survived is so desirable as an employee that it will soon be the one thing that will tip the scales between otherwise equal candidates, why is the military classifying all such people as permanently disqualified from joining the military?

I wonder what they know that we do not know, yet.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... -military/
Wow I didn't know that. Good catch. I think it has to do with the damage the covid does to the body long term. 

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:45 am » wrote: Let’s abolish some more along the way

Like what?

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:49 am » wrote:
promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:45 am » wrote: Let’s abolish some more along the way

Like what?

 
minimum wage. If you are an immigrant in the United States who is starting a baking business, you need to keep your store clean so patrons do not contract illness. If the minimum wage is too high, you will not hire a janitor. You will clean yourself, it will take time from expanding your business, which would have allowed you to hire more employees in the first place. Now the store owner is cleaning toilets, the janitor is unemployed, and everyone is sad because less cookies are being baked.

User avatar
promoderate

Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 131
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:53 am » wrote:
Crazytrain » 27 Jun 2020, 1:49 am » wrote:
promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:45 am » wrote: Let’s abolish some more along the way

Like what?


 
minimum wage. If you are an immigrant in the United States who is starting a baking business, you need to keep your store clean so patrons do not contract illness. If the minimum wage is too high, you will not hire a janitor. You will clean yourself, it will take time from expanding your business, which would have allowed you to hire more employees in the first place. Now the store owner is cleaning toilets, the janitor is unemployed, and everyone is sad because less cookies are being baked.

 
businesses that expand and get larger offer higher wages and benefits like health insurance because they can afford it and need to stay competitive in the job market

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:53 am » wrote: minimum wage. If you are an immigrant in the United States who is starting a baking business, you need to keep your store clean so patrons do not contract illness. If the minimum wage is too high, you will not hire a janitor. You will clean yourself, it will take time from expanding your business, which would have allowed you to hire more employees in the first place. Now the store owner is cleaning toilets, the janitor is unemployed, and everyone is sad because less cookies are being baked.
Usually the store owner has the staff clean. Wal Mart doesn't have janitors for instance. Nor does most fast food places. 

Crazytrain

Unread post

   
   
Posts: 1,359
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

promoderate » 27 Jun 2020, 1:55 am » wrote: businesses that expand and get larger offer higher wages and benefits like health insurance because they can afford it and need to stay competitive in the job market

The market drives wages not the size of the company. Please look at Walmart for example. 

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Annoyed Liberall, Baidu [Spider], bludog, Buffalo, Cannonpointer, Cedar, Crazytrain, deezer shoove, Famagusta, Hellongoodbye, Ike Bana, Independent, Majestic-12 [Bot], nefarious101, NeoConvict, OdeToJoy, omh, OpenSiteExplorer [Bot], PaperLi [Bot], Pengwin, Polar1ty, RollingRock, simple jack, SJConspirator, sooted up Cyndi, Squatchman, Termin8tor, TheAmerican, thelion, Twitter [Bot], WillFranklin, Yandex [Bot], Zeets2 and 691 guests


Log in or Register to remove ads