Scientific American magazine endorses a presidential candidate for the first time in it's 175-year history

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
82 posts
DennisTheMenace

Unread post

Politics: Independent

A well thought out and solid decision by the Scientific American...they always assess the landscape from a scientific perspective. 

Scientific  American on Tuesday endorsed Joe Biden, the first presidential endorsement in the magazine’s 175-year history.Its editors said they felt “compelled” to do so because President Trump’s well-documented rejection of science, from climate change to the coronavirus, has cost tens of thousands of American lives.

“The pandemic would strain any nation and system,” the editors wrote, “but Trump’s rejection of evidence and public health measures have been catastrophic in the U.S. He was warned many times in January and February about the onrushing disease, yet he did not develop a national strategy to provide protective equipment, coronavirus testing or clear health guidelines.

“Trump claimed, falsely, that ‘anybody that wants a test can get a test,’” they continued. “That was untrue in March and remained untrue through the summer. Trump opposed $25 billion for increased testing and tracing that was in a pandemic relief bill as late as July. These lapses accelerated the spread of disease through the country — particularly in highly vulnerable communities that include people of color, where deaths climbed disproportionately to those in the rest of the population.”

The monthly magazine, with a circulation of 3.5 million, is owned by Springer Nature, an international academic and scientific publishing company.According to data from Johns Hopkins University, more than 195,000 Americans have died from complications related to COVID-19, and more than 6.5 million have been infected.

The magazine’s editors seized on the revelations in Bob Woodward’s new book, “Rage,” that the president knowingly misled Americans about the dangers of COVID-19.

“Trump repeatedly lied to the public about the deadly threat of the disease, saying it was not a serious concern and ‘this is like a flu​’ when he knew it was more lethal and highly transmissible,” the editors wrote. “His lies encouraged people to engage in risky behavior, spreading the virus further, and have driven wedges between Americans who take the threat seriously and those who believe Trump’s falsehoods.”

They also sharply criticized a White House memo attacking Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country’s leading infectious disease physician and a member of Trump’s coronavirus task force, calling it a “despicable attempt to sow further distrust.”

Trump’s rejection of science extends beyond COVID-19, the editors noted.

“He has repeatedly tried to get rid of the Affordable Care Act while offering no alternative,” they wrote. The president’s proposals to cut billions of dollars from the budgets of the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “increase the risk that new diseases will surprise and devastate us again.”

And Trump has “hobbled U.S. preparations for climate change, falsely claiming that it does not exist and pulling out of international agreements to mitigate it.”

The endorsement came a day after Trump, meeting with officials in California about the state’s catastrophic wildfires, dismissed global warming as an issue, saying, “It’ll start getting cooler” — echoing his prediction at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic that the virus would disappear on its own.

Biden, in contrast, “comes prepared with plans to control COVID-19, improve health care, reduce carbon emissions and restore the role of legitimate science in policy making,” the magazine argued. “He solicits expertise and has turned that knowledge into solid policy proposals.”

“The 2020 election is literally a matter of life and death,” the magazine added in a tweet. “We urge you to vote for health, science and Joe Biden for President.” 

omh

Unread post

Well there is the value of science, just another form of we believe life must be more than it ever was and is so far.
when your reality won't explain real completely, you joined a socially corrupt intellectual mind that won't tolerate you using your own brain.

Anti-republiKlan

Unread post

Politics: Democratic

the republiKlans...."Science?...whats that?"

omh

Unread post

Anti-republiKlan » 16 Sep 2020, 6:47 am » wrote: the republiKlans...."Science?...whats that?"
theories dictating who's who so far. Your reality has been debunked, only the faithful deniers life is limited to mutually timed apart reproductions living so far keep it active.

what are you demanding freedom from again? accepting life in plain sight.
when your reality won't explain real completely, you joined a socially corrupt intellectual mind that won't tolerate you using your own brain.

Termin8tor

Unread post

Politics: Conservative

DennisTheMenace » 16 Sep 2020, 5:53 am » wrote: A well thought out and solid decision by the Scientific American...they always assess the landscape from a scientific perspective. 

Scientific  American on Tuesday endorsed Joe Biden, the first presidential endorsement in the magazine’s 175-year history.Its editors said they felt “compelled” to do so because President Trump’s well-documented rejection of science, from climate change to the coronavirus, has cost tens of thousands of American lives.
How sad that a supposedly scientific magazine is spreading Fake Science about the global warming hoax.

And I know of no science that Trump has rejected about Corona; backed up by Fauci's statements that Trump's claims have been accurate and science based.

Anti-republiKlan

Unread post

^^GW is a Hoax....says the Moron that voted for bush/cheney. palin, and then ConMan

Termin8tor

Unread post

Anti-republiKlan » 16 Sep 2020, 6:56 am » wrote: ^^GW is a Hoax....says the Moron that voted for bush/cheney. palin, and then ConMan

I have a science background, and I've cited Richard Lindzen,  Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology at MIT who has pointed out in extensive detail how utterly unscientific this hoax is.

Who the **** are you, wackjob?

omh

Unread post

Anti-republiKlan » 16 Sep 2020, 6:56 am » wrote: ^^GW is a Hoax....says the Moron that voted for bush/cheney. palin, and then ConMan
How your ideology defines it yes, that is why they rebranded it climate change as with all things universally here, nothing remains what it was upon arrival. Your first fertilized cell for example, evolved into your brain used as a social mind now.

Anti-republiKlan

Unread post

The gop has the Uneducated vote...the redneck states, they don't use Science or Facts, they completely depend on Racism and Ignorance from their Ignorant voters

NeoConvict

Unread post

Roll Out
Anti-republiKlan » 16 Sep 2020, 11:31 am » wrote: The gop has the Uneducated vote...the redneck states, they don't use Science or Facts, they completely depend on Racism and Ignorance from their Ignorant voters
Blacks vote 90% democrat. Inner-city kids have attrotious high school graduation rates. I would say democrats have a lock on the uneducated vote.

"I WOULD RATHER HAVE QUESTIONS THAT CANNOT BE ANSWERED...
THAN TO HAVE ANSWERS THAT CANNOT BE QUESTIONED"

Anti-republiKlan

Unread post

Blacks are smarter than rednecks...and everyone knows it

NeoConvict

Unread post

Roll Out
Anti-republiKlan » 16 Sep 2020, 11:44 am » wrote: Blacks are smarter than rednecks...and everyone knows it
Slaves weren't selectively bred for their academic abilities or intelligence. In fact such specimens were often punished and prevented from procreation. Get your oppression narrative straight. The smart blacks never got on the boat.

"I WOULD RATHER HAVE QUESTIONS THAT CANNOT BE ANSWERED...
THAN TO HAVE ANSWERS THAT CANNOT BE QUESTIONED"

Anti-republiKlan

Unread post

and Moronic rednecks like you went to war to increase & spread slavery all over America, and bring tens of millions more slaves into the US for the Plantation Owners

Blackvegetable

Unread post

Antifa
But for the fact that some people can actually think, you'd be banging rocks together in hope of making dinner.
Huey » wrote:
I had to lie to do it, but hey, I get to do that for a living.

I repeat slogans.

I don't care about frequency. 4 of the last 8 winners were from small countries. THat is the point.

Don't bother if it is going to be from behind. It could be anyone.

Your context is irrelevant.

Blackvegetable

Unread post

Antifa
NeoConvict » 16 Sep 2020, 11:35 am » wrote: Blacks vote 90% democrat. Inner-city kids have attrotious high school graduation rates. I would say democrats have a lock on the uneducated vote.
What does the data say?
Huey » wrote:

I repeat slogans.

I don't care about frequency. 4 of the last 8 winners were from small countries. THat is the point.

Blackvegetable

Unread post

Antifa
NeoConvict » 16 Sep 2020, 11:49 am » wrote: Slaves weren't selectively bred for their academic abilities or intelligence. In fact such specimens were often punished and prevented from procreation. Get your oppression narrative straight. The smart blacks never got on the boat.
Link?

Huey » wrote:

I repeat slogans.

omh

Unread post

Anti-republiKlan » 16 Sep 2020, 11:31 am » wrote: The gop has the Uneducated vote...the redneck states, they don't use Science or Facts, they completely depend on Racism and Ignorance from their Ignorant voters
Someone else brought this up and it was excellent point, what social group is the least proficient in the 3 r's 90% vote democractic while you call republicans uneducated. What profession delivering the news votes progressive, all the people making a living pretending to be anyone else but what they are in real time, vote progressive.

those seeking equality vote republican, the rest vote to call themselves exemptions from naturally timed apart now.

omh

Unread post

living going on in plain sight of each replacement navigating space from their geographical position occupying time now as reproduced so far.