Portland protesters topple statues of Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln in ‘Day of Rage’; police declare riot

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
54 posts
Huey

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberacon

A group of protesters toppled statues of former presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln and shattered the entrance to the Oregon Historical Society in Portland’s South Park Blocks late Sunday before moving into other areas of downtown, smashing storefronts and engaging in other acts of destruction.Police declared the event a riot and ordered people rampaging through the city’s streets to disperse but did not directly intervene until nearly an hour after the first statue fell. The crowd scattered when police cruisers flooded the area, and officers in tactical gear appeared to make several arrests.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... -rage.html

What did Lincoln do to piss these idiots off?  

no, you haven't proven that by assertion. Unless you can show your mention prior to my post of Feb 8, you lose..

Hey BV, did Jan 24th 2020 come before or after Feb 8th 2020?

FOS

Share      Unread post

Politics: Fascist

Huey » 12 Oct 2020, 12:25 pm » wrote: A group of protesters toppled statues of former presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln and shattered the entrance to the Oregon Historical Society in Portland’s South Park Blocks late Sunday before moving into other areas of downtown, smashing storefronts and engaging in other acts of destruction.Police declared the event a riot and ordered people rampaging through the city’s streets to disperse but did not directly intervene until nearly an hour after the first statue fell. The crowd scattered when police cruisers flooded the area, and officers in tactical gear appeared to make several arrests.

well lincoln was pretty 'racist'. He had intended to deport black people back to africa after freeing them. In fact the movie 'birth of a nation' portrays him in a rather sympathetic and positive light. It was politicians who took over after his assassination that opted to use black people as a weapon against white southerners.

Annoyed Liberall

Share      Unread post

Hot Little Twist
Hot Little Twist
Politics: Classical Liberal

The people doing this are anarchists with an agenda.
They are not protesters.
Anarchists co-opt protests.
I can't believe people still don't know this.

Termin8tor

Share      Unread post

Politics: Conservative

Huey » 12 Oct 2020, 12:25 pm » wrote: A group of protesters toppled statues of former presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln and shattered the entrance to the Oregon Historical Society in Portland’s South Park Blocks late Sunday before moving into other areas of downtown, smashing storefronts and engaging in other acts of destruction.Police declared the event a riot and ordered people rampaging through the city’s streets to disperse but did not directly intervene until nearly an hour after the first statue fell. The crowd scattered when police cruisers flooded the area, and officers in tactical gear appeared to make several arrests.

It's okay. It was mostly peaceful.

Huey

Share      Unread post

AnnoyedLiberall » 12 Oct 2020, 12:55 pm » wrote: The people doing this are anarchists with an agenda.
They are not protesters.
Doesn’t matter who is doing it.  It has to stop.

no, you haven't proven that by assertion. Unless you can show your mention prior to my post of Feb 8, you lose..

Annoyed Liberall

Share      Unread post

Hot Little Twist
Hot Little Twist

Huey » 12 Oct 2020, 1:00 pm » wrote: Doesn’t matter who is doing it.  It has to stop.

It definitely has to stop.

Rock

Share      Unread post

AnnoyedLiberall » 12 Oct 2020, 12:55 pm » wrote: The people doing this are anarchists with an agenda.
They are not protesters.
I thought these people were just an idea. Pretty destructive idea.   

Rock

Share      Unread post

FOS » 12 Oct 2020, 12:32 pm » wrote: well lincoln was pretty 'racist'. He had intended to deport black people back to africa after freeing them. In fact the movie 'birth of a nation' portrays him in a rather sympathetic and positive light. It was politicians who took over after his assassination that opted to use black people as a weapon against white southerners.
I think most all these idiots are too young to know all of that. They're just being poopy heads.

Annoyed Liberall

Share      Unread post

Hot Little Twist
Hot Little Twist

Rock » 12 Oct 2020, 1:26 pm » wrote: I thought these people were just an idea. Pretty destructive idea.   
People can't be ideas.
I know you are alluding to Antifa, but you have no proof that's the organization behind it.
That's like me saying it's the Bugaloo Boys or the Proud Boys doing it.
You and I don't know that.

Pengwin

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberal

It appears they are done with statues to old white men, no matter what.

Termin8tor

Share      Unread post

Pengwin » 12 Oct 2020, 2:24 pm » wrote: It appears they are done with statues to old white men, no matter what.

Gosh, yet another wackjob left opinion.

Did some leftist break into your house and take over your computer?

Huey

Share      Unread post

Pengwin » 12 Oct 2020, 2:24 pm » wrote: It appears they are done with statues to old white men, no matter what.
They are.  But only in areas where their behavior is tolerated.

Pengwin

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberal

Termin8tor » 12 Oct 2020, 2:26 pm » wrote: ,
Gosh, yet another wackjob left opinion.

Did some leftist break into your house and take over your computer?
It's an observation of their behavior.  That's all.

And you neither understand liberals nor leftists.

Rock

Share      Unread post

AnnoyedLiberall » 12 Oct 2020, 2:19 pm » wrote: People can't be ideas.
I know you are alluding to Antifa, but you have no proof that's the organization behind it.
If they aren't behind it who is? If it was BLM you would know it by their signs. If it were Trump supporters there would be no property damage. 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 9d1c93c41a
Antifa in Portland: quite often we see them as some of the most disruptive demonstrators on the streets. But antifa can't always be picked out in the crowd.

But antifa are often the ones out late, doing damage and fighting police.Our team found that antifa supporters generally campaign, organize, and protest, sometimes violently, against actions, people, and organizations they view as promoting authoritarian, racist, homophobic or xenophobic beliefs.But PSU sociologist and Black studies professor Shirley Jackson said antifa has actually blurred the focus for the Black Lives Matter movement in Portland, since protests began back in May.“They believe in what they’re doing. However, I think they also need to understand how difficult they may be making the situation for the promotion of Black Lives Matter in this time where Black people are really trying to make some headway,” said Jackson.

Buffalo

Share      Unread post

AnnoyedLiberall » 12 Oct 2020, 2:19 pm » wrote: People can't be ideas.
Braindead biden said antifa was just an idea... Remember in the "debate"?    Hell, braindead biden is just and idea...  

Antifa is to the dim-0-crap party what the Brownshirts were to the Nazi Party, except for one important difference: Nazis could control their Brownshirts. mg:  

War is a Racket

Annoyed Liberall

Share      Unread post

Hot Little Twist
Hot Little Twist

Rock » 12 Oct 2020, 4:39 pm » wrote: If they aren't behind it who is? If it was BLM you would know it by their signs. If it were Trump supporters there would be no property damage. 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 9d1c93c41a

Thank you for that information.
I concede your point.

Crazytrain

Share      Unread post

Politics: Beer and Popcorn

Beer
Wish we had pictures of the people that did this. It doesn't make sense.

Crazytrain

Share      Unread post

Beer
Over the course of his life, Roosevelt expressed hostility toward Native Americans, as Indian Country Today wrote in an accounting of his attitudes and policies. He pushed policies that promoted assimilation into white culture including the allotment system, by which Native American land was allotted to those who became U.S. citizens and the remainder was made available to white settlers. The policy also weakened tribal governments, an effect reportedly cheered by Roosevelt.

The group then turned to the nearby Abraham Lincoln statue, pulling it to the ground at 8:59 p.m. Spray-painted on the base of the statue was “Dakota 38,” a reference to 38 Dakota men executed after the Dakota-U.S. War of 1862 in the largest mass execution in a single day in American history. (Lincoln commuted the same sentence, handed down by a military tribunal, for 265 others.)

After toppling the statues, some protesters began smashing windows at the Oregon Historical Society, unfurling a banner that read, “Stop honoring racist colonizer murderers.” A mural on the attached Sovereign Hotel building depicting the Lewis & Clark expedition was splattered with red paint.

Crazytrain

Share      Unread post

Beer
https://www.kktv.com/2020/07/31/hate-cr ... andalized/

So if cons protested the MLK statues and tills statue wouldn't be vandalized like this is what you guys are saying?

Crazytrain

Share      Unread post

Beer
Weather
ADVERTISEMENT

Hate crime investigation underway in Pueblo after MLK and Emmett Till statue vandalized
A hate crime investigation is underway in Pueblo following the senseless vandalism at a center that gives so much back to the community.
Police in Pueblo are investigating a possible hate crime after someone vandalized the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. and Emmett Till statue outside of the Friendly Harbor Community Center. Photos taken 7/30/20.
Police in Pueblo are investigating a possible hate crime after someone vandalized the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. and Emmett Till statue outside of the Friendly Harbor Community Center. Photos taken 7/30/20.(Friendly Harbor Community Center)
By Tony Keith
Published: Jul. 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM CDT
PUEBLO, Colo. (KKTV) - A hate crime investigation is underway in Pueblo following the senseless vandalism at a center that gives so much back to the community.

Pueblo Police believes the vandalism on the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. and Emmett Till statue outside of Friendly Harbor Community Center was a bias-motivated act. The vandal or vandals also wrote the letters “KKK” outside the center located along Grand Avenue just west of I-25. The crime happened either late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

Dr. Elissa Ball, the director of Friendly Harbor, added there was a silver lining to this appalling act. Bell said a group of volunteers showed up on Thursday and worked to clean off the graffiti on their own time with their own equipment.

If you have any information that could help police in this case you’re asked to call 719-553-2511 and reference case number 20-12771.