This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
TB7

Share      Unread post

Politics: Beer and Popcorn

solon » 17 Sep 2021, 2:32 pm » wrote: A reasonable post. I disagree but understand and that would stop about 99% of executions so I would be glad to start with that compromise. As for me I agree there are monsters out there and society has a right to be protected from them.  however life without parole does that and it takes TWICE as much money to do that than to execute someone.  I agree that some people might DESERVE to be executed but  the way we treat people is about who WE are as a society not about who THEY are and we just shouldn't be the kind of people who want to KILL people OFFICIALLY

Congratulations on at least making an honest effort and making a point. The thing is when we DO execute an innocent person since it is the LAW and official it makes us ALL accesories

That is why capital punishment often applies to cases of first-degree murder or issues where the safety of an entire country was jeopardized. By telling people they’ll die, if convicted, for these serious crimes, the goal is to prevent the crime from happening in the first place. A sentence of death prevents that person from committing another horrific crime. It also reduces the influence that person would have on prison populations, which may influence behaviors and choices of non-violent offenders upon their release.

TB7

Share      Unread post

solon » 17 Sep 2021, 2:32 pm » wrote: A reasonable post. I disagree but understand and that would stop about 99% of executions so I would be glad to start with that compromise. As for me I agree there are monsters out there and society has a right to be protected from them.  however life without parole does that and it takes TWICE as much money to do that than to execute someone.  I agree that some people might DESERVE to be executed but  the way we treat people is about who WE are as a society not about who THEY are and we just shouldn't be the kind of people who want to KILL people OFFICIALLY

Congratulations on at least making an honest effort and making a point. The thing is when we DO execute an innocent person since it is the LAW and official it makes us ALL accesories
its not about killing people just to kill....it should involve addressing the facts of the situation. Far too often, there is an emotional response to people charged with a capital crime, with sympathy being directed toward the individual or the family of the accused person. When someone is facing a trial, or the consequences of their actions, then the law should be able to address the actions in a way that discourages others from doing the same thing.

solon

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberal

TB7 » 17 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm » wrote: That is why capital punishment often applies to cases of first-degree murder or issues where the safety of an entire country was jeopardized. By telling people they’ll die, if convicted, for these serious crimes, the goal is to prevent the crime from happening in the first place. A sentence of death prevents that person from committing another horrific crime. It also reduces the influence that person would have on prison populations, which may influence behaviors and choices of non-violent offenders upon their release.
All reasonable arguments.  I have heard them before and don't find them compelling.  There is no real evidence that the death penalty is a real deterrent,

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/stories/st ... e-ratesThe dozen states that have chosen not to enact the death penalty since the Supreme Court ruled in 1976 that it was constitutionally permissible have not had higher homicide rates than states with the death penalty, government statistics and a new survey by The New York Times show.Indeed, 10 of the 12 states without capital punishment have homicide rates below the national average, Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows, while half the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above the national average. In a state-by- state analysis, The Times found that during the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48 percent to 101 percent higher than in states without the death penalty.

That isn't PROOF positive for obvious reasons but it is  reasonable evidence that the death penalty is not a deterrent. 

Also like I said I agree that society should be protected from some monsters life without parole  accomplishes that. 

I also don't find the argument about influence compelling.  Not much evidence of this and it would be hard to find any

TB7

Share      Unread post

solon » 17 Sep 2021, 2:52 pm » wrote: All reasonable arguments.  I have heard them before and don't find them compelling.  There is no real evidence that the death penalty is a real deterrent,

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/stories/st ... e-ratesThe dozen states that have chosen not to enact the death penalty since the Supreme Court ruled in 1976 that it was constitutionally permissible have not had higher homicide rates than states with the death penalty, government statistics and a new survey by The New York Times show.Indeed, 10 of the 12 states without capital punishment have homicide rates below the national average, Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows, while half the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above the national average. In a state-by- state analysis, The Times found that during the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48 percent to 101 percent higher than in states without the death penalty.

That isn't PROOF positive for obvious reasons but it is  reasonable evidence that the death penalty is not a deterrent. 

Also like I said I agree that society should be protected from some monsters life without parole  accomplishes that. 

I also don't find the argument about influence compelling.  Not much evidence of this and it would be hard to find any
here are my thoughts on why...the deterrent level is not high. we don't expedite the death penalty. we allow appeal after appeal after appeal. a death row inmate can spend 20 or 30 years on death row. it seems like a joke.......if someone takes someone's life, and they intended to do so, and there is absolute proof they did do it....then we should execute within a reasonable time...like 1 year.

Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

TB7 » 17 Sep 2021, 3:06 pm » wrote: here are my thoughts on why...the deterrent level is not high. we don't expedite the death penalty. we allow appeal after appeal after appeal. a death row inmate can spend 20 or 30 years on death row. it seems like a joke.......if someone takes someone's life, and they intended to do so, and there is absolute proof they did do it....then we should execute within a reasonable time...like 1 year.
Or less (especially if requested.)

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

TB7 » 17 Sep 2021, 3:06 pm » wrote: here are my thoughts on why...the deterrent level is not high. we don't expedite the death penalty. we allow appeal after appeal after appeal. a death row inmate can spend 20 or 30 years on death row. it seems like a joke.......

.....Unless, IT TAKES THAT LONG TO BE DISCOVERED INNOCENT!!!!

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Secrets Of The Death Chamber
November 5, 2021
"A Southern Baptist who attended church every Sunday, Baxley became convinced that killing others for the government had condemned him to hell."

GHETTO BLASTER

Share      Unread post

Politics: Republican

Phoenix68.2.0 » 07 Nov 2021, 11:50 am » wrote: Secrets Of The Death Chamber
November 5, 2021
"A Southern Baptist who attended church every Sunday, Baxley became convinced that killing others for the government had condemned him to hell."
Are you one of those Cowardly  White Guilt Libtards who not only forgive their daughter's murderer / rapist..but also offer their daughter's murderer  a job in the family business...?

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Neo » 27 Nov 2020, 1:33 pm » wrote:
Atomicblonde » 27 Nov 2020, 1:26 pm » wrote:

I’m not sure how the two go together

They don't except they are both part of the same agenda. Legalize pot and remove the death penalty. I actually agree with both.

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

GHETTO » wrote:
Phoenix68.2.0 » 07 Nov 2021, 11:50 am » wrote: Secrets Of The Death Chamber
November 5, 2021

Are you one of those Cowardly  White Guilt Libtards who not only forgive their daughter's murderer / rapist..but also offer their daughter's murderer  a job in the family business...?

Go chase your tail, Skippy.

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Heroes; Born Or Made?
November 7, 2021
"Pelley also speaks with Dr. Abigail Marsh, who has researched altruism and the question of whether heroes are born or made. Her curiosity began when, as a teenager, she spun out in the middle of an interstate one night and couldn't restart her car. She never learned the name of the hero who came to her rescue, but the experience led her to become a neuroscientist.

At Georgetown University, Marsh has published studies on the brains of psychopathswith no compassion for othersand altruists who have so much compassion that they donated a kidney to a stranger. She found those who gave up an organ to save another, had amygdalae with similar traits. They were larger than normal and more reactive to images of people who were afraid. The amygdalae are structures in the brain involved in decision making and they react faster than conscious thought.

She tells Pelley about her findings when she showed these two types of individuals pictures while scanning their amygdalae."

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

It appears Florida might actually be closing-in on the 21st Century!!
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/flo ... n-81331516
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/search#stq ... Four&stp=1

Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

nefarious101

Share      Unread post

I can see your boyfriend but where are you?...your web cam is on!