The Great Barrington Declaration

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
92 posts
User avatar
GeorgeWashington

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 8,146
Politics: Revolutionary
Location: Mount Vernon, VA
Contact:

SoapBeerPopcorn
The Great Barrington Declaration – As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection. 

 Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. 

 Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is available will cause irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed.

 Fortunately, our understanding of the virus is growing. We know that vulnerability to death from COVID-19 is more than a thousand-fold higher in the old and infirm than the young. Indeed, for children, COVID-19 is less dangerous than many other harms, including influenza. 

 As immunity builds in the population, the risk of infection to all – including the vulnerable – falls. We know that all populations will eventually reach herd immunity – i.e.  the point at which the rate of new infections is stable – and that this can be assisted by (but is not dependent upon) a vaccine. Our goal should therefore be to minimize mortality and social harm until we reach herd immunity. 

 The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity, is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk. We call this Focused Protection. 

 Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent PCR testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals. 

 Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.

 On October 4, 2020, this declaration was authored and signed in Great Barrington, United States, by:

Dr. Martin Kulldorff, professor of medicine at Harvard University, a biostatistician, and epidemiologist with expertise in detecting and monitoring infectious disease outbreaks and vaccine safety evaluations.

Dr. Sunetra Gupta, professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modeling of infectious diseases.

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, professor at Stanford University Medical School, a physician, epidemiologist, health economist, and public health policy expert focusing on infectious diseases and vulnerable populations.

https://gbdeclaration.org/

Current signature count
637,337 concerned citizens
12,098 medical & public health scientists
35,151 medical practitioners

Signatures of scientists will be made public after verification and approval. With the current success of the campaign we have to ensure that the server remains available for signatures to be added. We will update this page with a static list of verified and approved signatures as time allows. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions here.
 
 
Log in or Register to remove ads


User avatar
GeorgeWashington

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 8,146
Politics: Revolutionary
Location: Mount Vernon, VA
Contact:

SoapBeerPopcorn

User avatar
sooted up Cyndi

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Water Cooler Poleece
Water Cooler Poleece
Posts: 10,940
Politics: Independent

ROFL

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 17,698
Politics: Theocratic
Location: cranium of a human

I will copy/paste this elsewhere.

I was saying "herd immunity" along with others long ago.
Focused Protection is the way to go.

Good article.


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,561
Politics: Liberal

DeezerShoove » 20 Nov 2020, 1:05 pm » wrote: I will copy/paste this elsewhere.

I was saying "herd immunity" along with others long ago.
Focused Protection is the way to go.

Good article.
Gee, it sounds like a great plan but for two small issues that are difficult to resolve.

1. People are bored and unhappy with this whole Covid-19 thing.

2. People are dying from it and often enough, **** stupid.

3. No resolution to 1 and 2 can be found at the moment.


 

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 17,698
Politics: Theocratic
Location: cranium of a human

Pengwin » 20 Nov 2020, 1:41 pm » wrote: Gee, it sounds like a great plan but for two small issues that are difficult to resolve.

1. People are bored and unhappy with this whole Covid-19 thing.

2. People are dying from it and often enough, **** stupid.

3. No resolution to 1 and 2 can be found at the moment.


 
If you weren't so "wonderfully concerned" you'd see the value in the stance taken in the article.

The entire point is to minimize death and suffering while getting to the end as quickly as we can.

You alluded to the slow torture yourself. Are YOU **** stupid?
Did you even read the words you are ******* about?

Stop pretending to care about the human race.
Didn't you say you hate everybody? Hypocrite.


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,561
Politics: Liberal

DeezerShoove » 20 Nov 2020, 2:00 pm » wrote:
The entire point is to minimize death and suffering while getting to the end as quickly as we can.




 
Great, except that plan won't do that.  Terrific idea except for that little problem.

And humans are a disease, but that doesn't make suffering caused by a bad plan any better.

Herd Immunity in in this case is I've Heard of Immunity but it doesn't seem to be true for this disease...


 

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 17,698
Politics: Theocratic
Location: cranium of a human

Pengwin » 20 Nov 2020, 2:06 pm » wrote: Great, except that plan won't do that.  Terrific idea except for that little problem.

And humans are a disease, but that doesn't make suffering caused by a bad plan any better.

Herd Immunity in in this case is I've Heard of Immunity but it doesn't seem to be true for this disease...
"seem?" 

So you don't know more than scientists and doctors?! 

Why don't you assail the source of this wacky thesis then?
Da fukkin guys r stupit.

So, I'll go with the more rational approach.
Eventually a herd immunity has to win out or all of humanity dies off.
Right, Nostradamus?   
 


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,561
Politics: Liberal

DeezerShoove » 20 Nov 2020, 2:12 pm » wrote:
So, I'll go with the more rational approach.
Eventually a herd immunity has to win out or all of humanity dies off.
Right, Nostradamus? 
What's the Herd Immunity to the Common Cold?  How about the Flu?  Polio?  Pneumonia?  Smallpox maybe? How about the Mumps?  Hey, I know, the Herd Immunity to Cancer?

Funny thing, no Herd Immunity to any of those but humanity still walks the Earth.  Now how can that be?  Hmmmm...

 
 
Last edited by Pengwin on 20 Nov 2020, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
solon

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,355
Politics: Liberal

No country has EVER successfully pulled off this supposed herd immunity nor is there ANY guarantee it is even POSSIBLE considering we have SEEN reinfections What iIS GUARANTEED by this approach is a MILLION or more DEAD and TENS OF MILLIONS with organ damage to lungs heart kidneys and the BRAIN

This is the ravings of a DEATH CULT who will make ANY EXCUSE they can think of to absolve Trump for his resp0nsibility for the TENS OF THOUSANDS of deaths he caused with his LIES his lazyiness and his incompetence

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,561
Politics: Liberal

If anyone needs me I'm off to working on my Herd Immunity to stubbing one's toe.

D.S. is sure it works if you just keeping kicking the wall long enough...

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 17,698
Politics: Theocratic
Location: cranium of a human

Pengwin » 20 Nov 2020, 2:17 pm » wrote: What's the Herd Immunity to the Common Cold?  How about the Flu?  Polio?  Pneumonia?  Smallpox maybe? How about the Mumps?  Hey, I know, the Herd Immunity to Cancer?

Funny thing, no Herd Immunity to any of those but humanity still walks the Earth.  Now how can that be?  Hmmmm...

Gee, you mean those 200+ "things" that give us colds?
You're probably immune to half of them when you're older.
There's still 100 more, brainiac.

If you get 4 colds a year it would still be over 50 years to catch them all.
I never seem to get a cold anymore. My personal immunity... a one man herd.


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,561
Politics: Liberal

DeezerShoove » 20 Nov 2020, 5:46 pm » wrote: Gee, you mean those 200+ "things" that give us colds?
You're probably immune to half of them when you're older.
There's still 100 more, brainiac.

If you get 4 colds a year it would still be over 50 years to catch them all.
I never seem to get a cold anymore. My personal immunity... a one man herd.
Personal immunity, but like the Flu it looks like Covid-19 can bypass that as well meaning - there won't be any Herd Immunity until it gets treated like Polio at the very least and more likely, the Flu which continues to change.

You Heard of Herd Immunity but it doesn't look like Covid-19 gives a damn, so there goes that plan.  Vaccinate a few billion people then we'll see what we have on our hands.  Your plan would just add even more bodies to the stack and still not give us what you want...



 

User avatar
Termin8tor

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 44,208
Politics: Conservative

Pengwin » 20 Nov 2020, 5:54 pm » wrote: Personal immunity, but like the Flu it looks like Covid-19 can bypass that as well meaning - there won't be any Herd Immunity until it gets treated like Polio at the very least and more likely, the Flu which continues to change.

You Heard of Herd Immunity but it doesn't look like Covid-19 gives a damn, so there goes that plan.  Vaccinate a few billion people then we'll see what we have on our hands.  Your plan would just add even more bodies to the stack and still not give us what you want...
.
You don't have the slightest clue what you're babbling about.

Stupid and dishonest, as usual.

User avatar
solon

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 7,355
Politics: Liberal

Shut up PUNK you are a LIAR and a TRAITOR who comes here to tell LIES for Russia and you NEVER know what you are talking about and I prove you are lying EVERY DAY and all you do is run away like the GUTLESS COWARD you are

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 17,698
Politics: Theocratic
Location: cranium of a human

Pengwin » 20 Nov 2020, 5:54 pm » wrote: Personal immunity, but like the Flu it looks like Covid-19 can bypass that as well meaning - there won't be any Herd Immunity until it gets treated like Polio at the very least and more likely, the Flu which continues to change.

You Heard of Herd Immunity but it doesn't look like Covid-19 gives a damn, so there goes that plan.  Vaccinate a few billion people then we'll see what we have on our hands.  Your plan would just add even more bodies to the stack and still not give us what you want...

That seems catchy to you. Heard of immunity.

So clever it has to be the truth.
You already used "seem" and now are stuck on a sound bite somebody blew into the wind.

Stay scared.  


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Olivaw

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 1,944
Politics: Liberal

Black Lives MatterDemocratic Party 1PPE Mask
Interesting but it is not compelling until the credentials of the signatories is known and there is reference to research. It is my hope that they are not playing fast and loose with the definition of scientists and medical practitioners.

We all want this damned thing over but our eagerness for shortcuts should not prompt irresponsible policy.
The only way Trump gets to 270 is if he loses 50 pounds

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 104,980
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: See ya in court, biden dogs

WhistleSNAP
Pengwin » 20 Nov 2020, 1:41 pm » wrote: Gee, it sounds like a great plan but for two small issues that are difficult to resolve.

1. People are bored and unhappy with this whole Covid-19 thing.

2. People are dying from it and often enough, **** stupid.

3. No resolution to 1 and 2 can be found at the moment.



 
The dick sucker is obviously trying to say something.

Will someone slap the **** out of his mouth? I'm interested to know what he's mumbling about.
Tax dollars are like husbands and sons. The farther from home they get, the worse they behave.

When your map disputes the territory, your map is wrong - not the territory.
Hearing much sizzle, expect little steak
Lies are a lazy man's truths
Humanity's law of the jungle is survival of the tribe

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Nostalgia is a crime against past and present
You cannot betray me, only yourself, to me

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 104,980
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: See ya in court, biden dogs

WhistleSNAP
Olivaw » 20 Nov 2020, 9:56 pm » wrote: Interesting but it is not compelling until the credentials of the signatories is known and there is reference to research. It is my hope that they are not playing fast and loose with the definition of scientists and medical practitioners.

 
I didn't hear any of them running their dick kissers about there being 6 sexes and 7 million genders, fruit cake.

If they had, I'm sure you would be more receptive.    
Tax dollars are like husbands and sons. The farther from home they get, the worse they behave.

When your map disputes the territory, your map is wrong - not the territory.
Hearing much sizzle, expect little steak
Lies are a lazy man's truths
Humanity's law of the jungle is survival of the tribe

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Nostalgia is a crime against past and present
You cannot betray me, only yourself, to me

User avatar
OdeToJoy

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 2,678
Politics: Progressive

GeorgeWashington » 20 Nov 2020, 7:28 am » wrote: The Great Barrington Declaration – As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection. 

 Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. 

 Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is available will cause irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed.

 Fortunately, our understanding of the virus is growing. We know that vulnerability to death from COVID-19 is more than a thousand-fold higher in the old and infirm than the young. Indeed, for children, COVID-19 is less dangerous than many other harms, including influenza. 

 As immunity builds in the population, the risk of infection to all – including the vulnerable – falls. We know that all populations will eventually reach herd immunity – i.e.  the point at which the rate of new infections is stable – and that this can be assisted by (but is not dependent upon) a vaccine. Our goal should therefore be to minimize mortality and social harm until we reach herd immunity. 

 The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity, is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk. We call this Focused Protection. 

 Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent PCR testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals. 

 Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.

 On October 4, 2020, this declaration was authored and signed in Great Barrington, United States, by:

Dr. Martin Kulldorff, professor of medicine at Harvard University, a biostatistician, and epidemiologist with expertise in detecting and monitoring infectious disease outbreaks and vaccine safety evaluations.

Dr. Sunetra Gupta, professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modeling of infectious diseases.

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, professor at Stanford University Medical School, a physician, epidemiologist, health economist, and public health policy expert focusing on infectious diseases and vulnerable populations.

https://gbdeclaration.org/

Current signature count
637,337 concerned citizens
12,098 medical & public health scientists
35,151 medical practitioners

Signatures of scientists will be made public after verification and approval. With the current success of the campaign we have to ensure that the server remains available for signatures to be added. We will update this page with a static list of verified and approved signatures as time allows. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions here.
 The World Health Organization and numerous academic and public-health bodies have stated that the proposed strategy is dangerous, unethical, and lacks a sound scientific basis. They say that it would be impossible to shield all those who are medically vulnerable, leading to a large number of avoidable deaths among both older people and younger people with underlying health conditions, and they warn that the long-term effects of COVID-19 are still not fully understood. 

Moreover, they say that the herd immunity component of the proposed strategy is undermined by the limited duration of post-infection immunity.

The more likely outcome, they say, would be recurrent epidemics, as was the case with numerous infectious diseases before the advent of vaccination.  The American Public Health Association and 13 other public-health groups in the United States warned in a joint open letter that the Great Barrington Declaration "is not a strategy, it is a political statement. It ignores sound public health expertise. It preys on a frustrated populace. Instead of selling false hope that will predictably backfire, we must focus on how to manage this pandemic in a safe, responsible, and equitable way."
​​​​​
 The Great Barrington Declaration was authored by Sunetra Gupta of the University of OxfordJay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard University.  It was sponsored by the American Institute for Economic Research, a libertarian think tank that is part of a Koch-funded network of organizations associated with climate change denial.
 
 

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bidennextpresident, Bill Gates [Bot], Blue Devil, Buffalo, Cannonpointer, Cedar, ConsRule, Coolguy10013, Famagusta, FOS, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Hank, Hmrider21, Ike Bana, Isabel, Jantje_Smit, JeanMoulin, nefarious101, neue regel, OdeToJoy, Olivaw, omh, Pengwin, Pinterest [Bot], PoliticalPopUp, RollingRock, SJConspirator, solon, sooted up Cyndi, Squatchman, Steve Jobs [Bot], Taipan, Termin8tor, thelion, TrumpTrumper, Yahoo [Bot], Zeets2 and 163 guests


Log in or Register to remove ads