This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberal

ConsRule » 13 Jan 2021, 1:33 pm » wrote: Try again.  Remember, the challenge is Trump SPECIFICALLY calling for the protesters on January 6 to go to the Capital and commit acts of violence.

You meme is dated more than 6 months prior, and many of the comments were from years ago.
Okay, here's the test for you.  My bet is you would say that you have common sense and one of the things that pisses you off is people who don't.

So, using common sense, why did Trump ask his hard-core supporters, and he knows who they are, to be in D.C. that day and march to the Capitol on that day?  What was the plan? What were they supposed to do?

And again, using common sense, if you are doing ____ or planning to do ____ and an armed mob shows up to protest, what's the message you're supposed to take from that?

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Politics: Conservative

Pengwin » 13 Jan 2021, 1:39 pm » wrote: Okay, here's the test for you.  My bet is you would say that you have common sense and one of the things that pisses you off is people who don't.

So, using common sense, why did Trump ask his hard-core supporters, and he knows who they are, to be in D.C. that day and march to the Capitol on that day?  What was the plan? What were they supposed to do?

And again, using common sense, if you are doing ____ or planning to do ____ and an armed mob shows up to protest, what's the message you're supposed to take from that?

To peacefully protest.  Remember, marching on the Capital (or any other government building) is not illegal.  People have the Constitutional right to peacefully assemble...and peaceful also included being verbally rowdy.

If it is legal for BLM to march through the streets and stand on the steps of federal buildings shouting their made-up slogans, it is legal for Trump supporters to march to and stand on the steps of the Capital and shout their slogans.  Now, when they became violent/broke the law...they should be arrested and punished (after due process).

I still have not seen anyone post a link to Trump actually (and specifically) calling on the 1/6 crowd to go to the Capital and commit acts of violence.  After all, that is what Piglosi and the dumbocrats in the House are accusing him of doing.

Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

Antifa
ConsRule » 13 Jan 2021, 1:47 pm » wrote: To peacefully protest.  Remember, marching on the Capital (or any other government building) is not illegal.  People have the Constitutional right to peacefully assemble...and peaceful also included being verbally rowdy.

If it is legal for BLM to march through the streets and stand on the steps of federal buildings shouting their made-up slogans, it is legal for Trump supporters to march to and stand on the steps of the Capital and shout their slogans.  Now, when they became violent/broke the law...they should be arrested and punished (after due process).

I still have not seen anyone post a link to Trump actually (and specifically) calling on the 1/6 crowd to go to the Capital and commit acts of violence.  After all, that is what Piglosi and the dumbocrats in the House are accusing him of doing.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell rejected the idea to convene an emergency session for an impeachment trial, which means a decision on whether to convict Trump would come after he leaves office.

Mitch just tossed Grifty's *** under the Tresher...

Pengwin

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 13 Jan 2021, 1:47 pm » wrote:

Okay, let's run with that.  What was this peaceful protest supposed to accomplish?

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Pengwin » 13 Jan 2021, 2:12 pm » wrote: Okay, let's run with that.  What was this peaceful protest supposed to accomplish?

I don't know...I wasn't involved and didn't play a part in planning the event.

What do most peaceful protest hope to accomplish?  About the only thing ANY of them accomplish is getting press for a cause.  I doubt any have ever changed anyone's opinion on anything.  Besides...there is no rule that they need to have a specific goal.  People have the right to protest.  Hell, they can protest the color of grass it they choose.

Pengwin

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 13 Jan 2021, 2:16 pm » wrote: I don't know...I wasn't involved and didn't play a part in planning the event.

I see.  So you don't know why all those Trump supporters, from all over the country, were at the Capitol that day?

Must have been the 2 for 1 french fries baskets...

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Pengwin » 13 Jan 2021, 2:19 pm » wrote: I see.  So you don't know why all those Trump supporters, from all over the country, were at the Capitol that day?

Must have been the 2 for 1 french fries baskets...

And you don't know either.  I understand accusing them all of going there to commit crimes fits the liberal narrative, but that doesn't make it true.

GeorgeWashington

Share      Unread post

Politics: Revolutionary

BeerPopcorn
RollingRock » 13 Jan 2021, 1:12 pm » wrote:
GeorgeWashington » 13 Jan 2021, 12:37 pm » wrote: How long do you suppose an impeachment trial will take?
Providing the article/s of impeachment are clear and concise, it shouldn't take long....perhaps as little as a couple of weeks.  I support it for mainly for the provision that would keep Trump from holding office in the future.  I truly believe the man is corrupt and self-serving to his core.  I think he is an obvious threat to our democracy.     

I've lived through multiple Republican presidents from Nixon to Reagan to Bush Sr to Bush Jr.  All I disagreed with polically, however I could always see the humanity and good intentions in each of these men.  Trump?   I see nothing good there - only greed, ego, self-interest and a vindictive streak.  Because of these character flaws, he's exactly the type of person who should never be president.   Jmo...
If he's no longer the president, he can't be impeached..

Under the Constitution, the next step would be a trial in the Senate, which could result in his removal from office. But with just a week left in his term, the issue appeared to be moot

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-impeac ... 53397.html

Pengwin

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 13 Jan 2021, 2:27 pm » wrote: And you don't know either.  I understand accusing them all of going there to commit crimes fits the liberal narrative, but that doesn't make it true.
That's not the Liberal Narrative.  We don't have one but the Congress sure as **** does.  Take it up with them...

RollingRock

Share      Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator
Politics: Progressive

BeerDemocratic Party 1Black Lives MatterUSA
GeorgeWashington » 13 Jan 2021, 5:19 pm » wrote: If he's no longer the president, he can't be impeached..

Under the Constitution, the next step would be a trial in the Senate, which could result in his removal from office. But with just a week left in his term, the issue appeared to be moot

As I see it, this is about keeping him from ever taking office again.  There can be an impeachment trial after Trump leaves office.
More tangibly, Trump has made noises about running for the presidency again in 2024, a prospect that alarms many Democrats and complicates the ambitions of other Republicans who envision themselves in the Oval Office. Should he be impeached (again) by the House, and convicted (this time) by the required two-thirds supermajority in the Senate, senators could also vote to disqualify him from serving in future federal office, which would take only a simple majority. (Article 1 of the Constitution says impeachment judgments can include “disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States.”)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -quicktake

Isabel

Share      Unread post

GeorgeWashington » 13 Jan 2021, 5:19 pm » wrote: If he's no longer the president, he can't be impeached..

He just was.

GeorgeWashington

Share      Unread post

Politics: Revolutionary

BeerPopcorn
Isabel » 13 Jan 2021, 6:06 pm » wrote:

He just was.
Correction..  if he’s no longer the president, he can’t be tried/convicted in the senate 

crimsongulf

Share      Unread post

Politics: Capitalist

AbitaBeer
GeorgeWashington » 13 Jan 2021, 6:24 pm » wrote: Correction..  if he’s no longer the president, he can’t be tried/convicted in the senate

You just have to snicker and shake your head at the utter stupidity of some.

Isabel

Share      Unread post

GeorgeWashington » 13 Jan 2021, 6:24 pm » wrote: Correction..  if he’s no longer the president, he can’t be tried/convicted in the senate
False.
As long as he is impeached BEFORE he leaves, as he has been, the trial can come after.

---------

William Belknap, the war secretary to President Ulysses Grant, was impeached after he’d already resigned. The House of Representatives investigated Belknap for corruption, and found him to have regularly received illegal kickbacks. Articles of Impeachment were drafted, and on March 2, 1876, just minutes before the House of Representatives was scheduled to vote on them, Belknap tearfully resigned.

The House still voted to send the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate. The Senate, having determined that it retained jurisdiction over former government officials, held a full trial in the following months. House managers argued at the time that Belknap should not be allowed to escape justice by simply resigning.