User avatar
By Vegas
04 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm in No Holds Barred Political Forum
This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
User avatar
Vegas

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Over-bathroom Under-secretary of Awesomeness
Posts: 22,855
Politics: Conservative

First, let me say that my stance is to abolish it. However, that is not the real world, it will never happen. Therefore, let's discuss it's implications with respect to raising it to $15/hr. 

Is the current min wage proportional to inflation? Well, the data can be looked at in many different ways. Obviously the left will cherry pick a chart taking something out of context to support wage stagnation, and the right will do the same that supports wage growth. Useless. I can't wait to see all the lefties with their 5k by 7k pixel charts hoarding the bandwidth. 

I am not interested in anyone's political cherry picking of charts, especially when they can be read in a million different contexts. That is unprofitable. 
Fact check does a pretty good job, overall. Their perspective shows that the wages are below inflation, but they are currently on the rise as of 2019. However, now that Covid happened, we can expect that to dive soon. They show that there was a huge drop in wages, with respect to inflation, fro 1973 to 1997. Since 1997, the wages have increased proportionately.  

So, let the economy do what it does. Don't mess with the min wage. Give it more time...actually, we need to see the data after Covid. 
https://www.factcheck.org/2019/06/are-w ... g-or-flat/


Thanks to @solon  's lame tirades and @supraTruth  habit of clogging threads with useless graphs, I have to enable the peanut gallery again.

User avatar
FOS

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 11,284
Politics: Fascist

If we made the minimum wage 30$/hour...the vast majority of Mexicans would return to Mexico and Africans would seek a way to go.to Africa.

User avatar
Vegas

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Over-bathroom Under-secretary of Awesomeness
Posts: 22,855
Politics: Conservative

FOS » 04 Feb 2021, 8:26 pm » wrote: If we made the minimum wage 30$/hour...the vast majority of Mexicans would return to Mexico and Africans would seek a way to go.to Africa.

I didn't think about that. Lol. 

User avatar
duck615

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 8,479

NO one pays 7.25/hr anymore... give it a break you liberal asswipes

User avatar
FOS

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 11,284
Politics: Fascist

RalphHinkell » 04 Feb 2021, 9:42 pm » wrote: Many states have increased their minimum wage above $7.25, but tens of millions of workers are still employed for extremely low wages.

If you combine the bottom 50 million workers, their average hourly wage is about $10, which is still far too low to maintain a basic standard of living in 2021.
Well keep importing people from the 3rd world. That will help.

User avatar
Vegas

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Over-bathroom Under-secretary of Awesomeness
Posts: 22,855
Politics: Conservative

RalphHinkell » 04 Feb 2021, 10:56 pm » wrote: Well, your stance is wrong. Its been too long since a raise and there are a lot of people who can benefit from this, and more money into the economy. I'm willing to pay a bit more money where I shop to ensure that the employees are given a fair wage

The data is not on your side. 

User avatar
Cedar

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Posts: 29,048
Politics: Classical Liberal

RalphHinkell » 04 Feb 2021, 10:56 pm » wrote: Well, your stance is wrong. Its been too long since a raise and there are a lot of people who can benefit from this, and more money into the economy. I'm willing to pay a bit more money where I shop to ensure that the employees are given a fair wage
Don’t those employees have to pay a bit more when they shop too? It’s a zero sum game you **** retards, all you’re doing is moving decimal points.
 

User avatar
duck615

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 8,479

RalphHinkell » 04 Feb 2021, 9:42 pm » wrote: Many states have increased their minimum wage above $7.25, but tens of millions of workers are still employed for extremely low wages.

If you combine the bottom 50 million workers, their average hourly wage is about $10, which is still far too low to maintain a basic standard of living in 2021.

so you agree no 7.25

User avatar
Zeets2

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,980
Politics: Conservative

RalphHinkell » 04 Feb 2021, 10:56 pm » wrote: Well, your stance is wrong. Its been too long since a raise and there are a lot of people who can benefit from this, and more money into the economy. I'm willing to pay a bit more money where I shop to ensure that the employees are given a fair wage
So, you want the tens of thousands of businesses that have now either been bankrupted or are on the verge of insolvency to more than double their labor costs, on top of the huge new tax increases Biden has planned for them, huh?

You dopes can't help but believe that small to medium business owners have tons of cash readily available, even after being fully aware of their mounting debt over the past year due to the forced closures of so many of them, as well as the fear that most customers are fearful of the pandemic and won't patronize them, at least for the foreseeable future until the Trump vaccine has been given to most or all Americans.  You've got no right to demand that government force new expenses on a business that is giving workers an opportunity to enter the work force.  The minimum wage is NOT something that has an obligation to give a high standard of living to those with no skills and no experience.  If people believe they are underpaid, they're free to find a better paying job or start their own business, where they can certainly choose to pay their workers any amount they choose!
 

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 13,912
Politics: Liberal

Zeets2 » 05 Feb 2021, 10:59 am » wrote: So, you want the tens of thousands of businesses that have now either been bankrupted or are on the verge of insolvency to more than double their labor costs, on top of the huge new tax increases Biden has planned for them, huh?


 
Exactly what part of these rising costs doesn't get passed on to the market?  You treat this like the guy has to pay it out of his savings, which isn't true.

So, if used to sell ____ at ____, and now my labor cost of that is up by 50%, take a wild-*** guess at how much I might have to raise my prices by?  Could it be, oh hell I don't know, my increased labor cost?

 

User avatar
ConsRule

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 816
Politics: Conservative

Pengwin » 05 Feb 2021, 11:04 am » wrote: Exactly what part of these rising costs doesn't get passed on to the market?  You treat this like the guy has to pay it out of his savings, which isn't true.

So, if used to sell ____ at ____, and now my labor cost of that is up by 50%, take a wild-*** guess at how much I might have to raise my prices by?  Could it be, oh hell I don't know, my increased labor cost?
Not every business can pass an increase in operating cost on to the customer in their market.

And I have to ask...do you want this increase to be effective for EVERY employee, regardless of the size of the employer and the number of hours the employee works in a week?

 

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 13,912
Politics: Liberal

ConsRule » 05 Feb 2021, 11:13 am » wrote: Not every business can pass an increase in operating cost on to the customer in their market.


 
Name one?
 

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 13,912
Politics: Liberal

ConsRule » 05 Feb 2021, 11:13 am » wrote:
And I have to ask...do you want this increase to be effective for EVERY employee, regardless of the size of the employer and the number of hours the employee works in a week?
 
Why not?  What difference should that make? 
 

User avatar
Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 10,590
Politics: Liberal
Location: WINNING-SIDE Of History

Vegas » 04 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm » wrote:
Image

Is the current min wage proportional to inflation? Well, the data can be looked at in many different ways.
 
Image
Yeah....different.....
.
"A chart from The Economic Policy Institute shows how the actual minimum wage has fallen far behind the growth of the economy compared to 50 years ago, when they were practically equal."

User avatar
ConsRule

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 816
Politics: Conservative


Any small business that has to compete with someone like WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. who are large enough and have the financial resources to simply eat the increase for a significant period of time to eliminate the "competition".

User avatar
Pengwin

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 13,912
Politics: Liberal

ConsRule » 05 Feb 2021, 11:22 am » wrote: Any small business that has to compete with someone like WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. who are large enough and have the financial resources to simply eat the increase for a significant period of time to eliminate the "competition".
Yeah, meaning you have a rationalization but not a single **** named business that can't make pricing adjustments because of increased costs.

You - Lose, Loser.
 

User avatar
ConsRule

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 816
Politics: Conservative

Pengwin » 05 Feb 2021, 11:24 am » wrote: Yeah, meaning you have a rationalization but not a single **** named business that can't make pricing adjustments because of increased costs.

You - Lose, Loser.

If you will only accept a specific business...well, go **** yourself.  Because you know absolutely nothing about business, markets and competition.
 

User avatar
Phoenix68.2.0

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 10,590
Politics: Liberal
Location: WINNING-SIDE Of History

RalphHinkell » 04 Feb 2021, 9:21 pm » wrote:
All I would ask is that those who claim to care about life also take the time to look into the quality of life of people as well. Because that is no way to live. It's no way for a functioning society with so much money floating around in the hands of so few, to treat it's citizens.
 
Image
What you're suggesting, TOTALLY violates the Teabaggers'/Trumpoids'/Neo-Nazis' current (i.e. perpetual/unceasing) agenda.

User avatar
Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 76,793

Antifa
Vegas » 04 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm » wrote: First, let me say that my stance is to abolish it. However, that is not the real world, it will never happen. Therefore, let's discuss it's implications with respect to raising it to $15/hr. 

Is the current min wage proportional to inflation? Well, the data can be looked at in many different ways. Obviously the left will cherry pick a chart taking something out of context to support wage stagnation, and the right will do the same that supports wage growth. Useless. I can't wait to see all the lefties with their 5k by 7k pixel charts hoarding the bandwidth. 

I am not interested in anyone's political cherry picking of charts, especially when they can be read in a million different contexts. That is unprofitable. 
Fact check does a pretty good job, overall. Their perspective shows that the wages are below inflation, but they are currently on the rise as of 2019. However, now that Covid happened, we can expect that to dive soon. They show that there was a huge drop in wages, with respect to inflation, fro 1973 to 1997. Since 1997, the wages have increased proportionately.  

So, let the economy do what it does. Don't mess with the min wage. Give it more time...actually, we need to see the data after Covid. 
https://www.factcheck.org/2019/06/are-w ... g-or-flat/

Thanks to @solon  's lame tirades and @supraTruth  habit of clogging threads with useless graphs, I have to enable the peanut gallery again.
Is the current min wage proportional to inflation? Well, the data can be looked at in many different ways. Obviously the left will cherry pick a chart taking something out of context to support wage stagnation, and the right will do the same that supports wage growth. Useless. I can't wait to see all the lefties with their 5k by 7k pixel charts hoarding the bandwidth. 

That's some intensely Level VI ****, right there...

User avatar
ConsRule

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 816
Politics: Conservative

Pengwin » 05 Feb 2021, 11:20 am » wrote: Why not?  What difference should that make?

Ok...just wanted to check.

Oh...what do you suggest a non-profit, say one working with the homeless and those with mental health/substance issues, does when their operating cost skyrockets but the donations don't increase?  Do they tell many of their clients "Tough ****, you're on your own?"
 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Annoyed Liberall, Arris, Benson13, Bidennextpresident, Bill Gates [Bot], Blutarski, Buffalo, Cannonpointer, ConsRule, Crazytrain, crimsongulf, Famagusta, FOS, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Hank, Ike Bana, Jantje_Smit, nefarious101, neue regel, PaperLi [Bot], Pinterest [Bot], Polar1ty, PoliticalPopUp, Semrush [Bot], SJConspirator, solon, sooted up Cyndi, Steve Jobs [Bot], Taipan, Twitter [Bot], user1620678236, Vegas, Vegas giants, Yahoo [Bot], Zeets2 and 576 guests