This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

Track Star, Question Ducker

ConsRule » 04 May 2021, 8:58 am » wrote: As many as it takes for you to say it correctly.  They money is awarded to the student, not the university.
And any school can be denied federal funds

I knew you could get there 

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Politics: Conservative

Vegasgiants » 04 May 2021, 9:00 am » wrote: And any school can be denied federal funds

I knew you could get there

Maybe this will help you understand that the money is awarded to the student and not to a university.

The first step in getting a Pell Grant is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  That is completed BEFORE your application for admission is accepted and the person completing the FAFSA can list up to five institutions (might be more now...it's been a few years since seeing one).  The amount is still determined by 4 things...your "expected family contribution", the cost of attendance at the listed schools, your planned status (full-time or part-time) and if you plan to attend the full year or only part of the year.

Again, the FAFSA is completed and submitted PRIOR to acceptance.

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 04 May 2021, 9:10 am » wrote: Maybe this will help you understand that the money is awarded to the student and not to a university.

The first step in getting a Pell Grant is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  That is completed BEFORE your application for admission is accepted and the person completing the FAFSA can list up to five institutions (might be more now...it's been a few years since seeing one).  The amount is still determined by 4 things...your "expected family contribution", the cost of attendance at the listed schools, your planned status (full-time or part-time) and if you plan to attend the full year or only part of the year.

Again, the FAFSA is completed and submitted PRIOR to acceptance.
Let's go over this ten more times

Just deny that we can withhold any federal funds from a university 

Just deny that

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Vegasgiants » 04 May 2021, 9:11 am » wrote: Let's go over this ten more times

Just deny that we can withhold any federal funds from a university 

Just deny that

That's easy to do...because the funds are awarded to the student.  Now, they student can deny the funds to a university by using them at a different university.

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 04 May 2021, 9:14 am » wrote: That's easy to do...because the funds are awarded to the student.  Now, they student can deny the funds to a university by using them at a different university.
No.  We can make a school ineligible to receive those funds.  The student cant use them there if he wants to

Just deny that

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Vegasgiants » 04 May 2021, 9:18 am » wrote: No.  We can make a school ineligible to receive those funds.  The student cant use them there if he wants to

Just deny that

Then you are denying the student.  The university doesn't apply for the grant, the student applies for the grant.  Hell, the university may not even know the student listed them on the FAFSA and doesn't know which students have them until the student informs them of their award.

Again...you don't understand the process.  I have explained it to you, I can't understand it for you...you're on your own there.

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 04 May 2021, 9:28 am » wrote: Then you are denying the student.  The university doesn't apply for the grant, the student applies for the grant.  Hell, the university may not even know the student listed them on the FAFSA and doesn't know which students have them until the student informs them of their award.

Again...you don't understand the process.  I have explained it to you, I can't understand it for you...you're on your own there.
Nope.  The student can go to college.  Just not at one we deny the right to receive federal funds

Just deny that

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Vegasgiants » 04 May 2021, 9:45 am » wrote: Nope.  The student can go to college.  Just not at one we deny the right to receive federal funds

Just deny that
So you want to change the Pell Grant program to one that makes conditional awards.  If that's what you want, you can try.

I would like to see two things in that program changed, even though it would make it more difficult to explain the program to the liberal doofus (like you).  First, a FAFSA applicant should be required to notify the government of scholarships they receive.  Second, a university, when presented with a Pell Grant award notice, should not be allowed to write the student a check rather than force them to apply it to tuition and fees first, then cut the a check for any remainder (not many universities do that).  I understand the logic...they are just going to turn around and pay tuition, but it leads to issues.  The university knows the government doesn't know about scholarship awards and (when the government calculates the cost of attending) things like housing (which can be off-campus), commuting expense if the university is predominately a "commuter school", books (which are paid separately), meals/meal plans, etc. are considered in determining grant awards.  The student should be required to use all of their award for on-campus expenses first (it's just a simple journal entry to credit the bookstore).  Not doing so leads to some fraud and gives a student the chance to make a bad decision and go into debt.

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 04 May 2021, 10:26 am » wrote: So you want to change the Pell Grant program to one that makes conditional awards.  If that's what you want, you can try.

I would like to see two things in that program changed, even though it would make it more difficult to explain the program to the liberal doofus (like you).  First, a FAFSA applicant should be required to notify the government of scholarships they receive.  Second, a university, when presented with a Pell Grant award notice, should not be allowed to write the student a check rather than force them to apply it to tuition and fees first, then cut the a check for any remainder (not many universities do that).  I understand the logic...they are just going to turn around and pay tuition, but it leads to issues.  The university knows the government doesn't know about scholarship awards and (when the government calculates the cost of attending) things like housing (which can be off-campus), commuting expense if the university is predominately a "commuter school", books (which are paid separately), meals/meal plans, etc. are considered in determining grant awards.  The student should be required to use all of their award for on-campus expenses first (it's just a simple journal entry to credit the bookstore).  Not doing so leads to some fraud and gives a student the chance to make a bad decision and go into debt.
My God.  Read slowly.  It already exists. You CURRENTLY can not use a Pell grant at a school not eligible for federal funds.

How are you not getting  this?

You are as thick as a brick

ConsRule

Share      Unread post

Vegasgiants » 04 May 2021, 10:28 am » wrote: My God.  Read slowly.  It already exists. You CURRENTLY can not use a Pell grant at a school not eligible for federal funds.

How are you not getting  this?

You are as thick as a brick
You are the one that needs to read carefully.  There are institutions (which allow their students to use Pell grants) that simply write the student a check for the entire amount of the grant.  Then the student (hopefully) turns around and pays their tuition and fees to the university.  It actually make the paperwork easier.  That is the practice I would like to see prohibited.  Fortunately the number of institution taking that approach is shrinking.   There is also a growing number of institution that do not allow their students to apply ANY federal grant on campus...everything must be paid by the student and the university offers absolutely no assistance in processing or record keeping.

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

ConsRule » 04 May 2021, 10:39 am » wrote: You are the one that needs to read carefully.  There are institutions (which allow their students to use Pell grants) that simply write the student a check for the entire amount of the grant.  Then the student (hopefully) turns around and pays their tuition and fees to the university.  It actually make the paperwork easier.  That is the practice I would like to see prohibited.  Fortunately the number of institution taking that approach is shrinking.   There is also a growing number of institution that do not allow their students to apply ANY federal grant on campus...everything must be paid by the student and the university offers absolutely no assistance in processing or record keeping.
Read very slowly.

There are institutions that can not accept pell grant money 

Just deny that one thing

simple jack

Share      Unread post

Taipan » 03 May 2021, 8:24 pm » wrote: Goddamn lazy Dems !!
Always begging for free money from the gov. !!
Do you understand that we are 28 trillion dollars in debt ?
Why can't you just support yourself & your family........
like the real men in Texas do ??

Texas is steers, queers, and ***.

Taipan

Share      Unread post

Politics: Libertarian

simplejack » 04 May 2021, 11:58 am » wrote: Texas is steers, queers, and ***.

That is not politically correct.
That is not 'woke' language.
I think I am going to have to report you to AOC.                                                  
:clap: