This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules

IS AMERICA A CHRISTIAN NATION?

Poll ended at 08 May 2022, 2:36 pm

Yes, it is (please make an argument for your choice)
8
42%
No, it isn't (please make an argument for your choice)
7
37%
It was, but is no more (please make an argument for your choice)
4
21%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
This is an argument I have seen rage - I would like to see why people do or do not believe that America is (or used to be) a Christian nation.

Oh - almost forgot to mention: Please make an argument for your choice.

User avatar
Pastafarian

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,009
Politics: Progressive

Christians and deists founded this nation, so in that regard, it is a nation founded by Christians, mostly.

But, in regard to laws, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, it is a secular nation.

Tricky question. That’s why I didn’t vote.

User avatar
Rock

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 4,120
Politics: Conservative

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 2:36 pm » wrote: This is an argument I have seen rage - I would like to see why people do or do not believe that America is (or used to be) a Christian nation.

Oh - almost forgot to mention: Please make an argument for your choice.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/358364/rel ... icans.aspx

According to Gallup 69% of Americans identify as Christian.

Whenever or wherever I go to mass it is usually crowded.

User avatar
Huey

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 23,137
Politics: Liberacon

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 2:36 pm » wrote: This is an argument I have seen rage - I would like to see why people do or do not believe that America is (or used to be) a Christian nation.

Oh - almost forgot to mention: Please make an argument for your choice.

 

America may have been founded by those with a mostly Christian belief system or a belief in a god it was not founded to be a Christian nation.  It was founded so all beliefs, non beliefs, etc would be able to practice or not practice without government interference. 

User avatar
omh

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 19,395

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 2:36 pm » wrote: This is an argument I have seen rage - I would like to see why people do or do not believe that America is (or used to be) a Christian nation.

Oh - almost forgot to mention: Please make an argument for your choice.
Only reason it was considered a Christian Nation was most first settlers came escaping the orthodoxy of hardline context over content behavior mandates. In the name of God people don't have personal liberty to understand life as genetically here but everyone of faith has rights to [perform as social identities cradle to grave by laws that rule social conduct ancestrally forward now.

that worked historically same as continuing current events. Lifetimes change the people existing here now, not time changes everything.

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
Huey » 28 Apr 2022, 3:02 pm » wrote: America may have been founded by those with a mostly Christian belief system or a belief in a god it was not founded to be a Christian nation.  It was founded so all beliefs, non beliefs, etc would be able to practice or not practice without government interference.
You speak as if there were unannimity among the early migrants to these shores. I dont believe the Quakers would have subscribed to your thesis - or those who burned witches in Salem.

So, is your response confined to 1776 and later? Or to the adoption of the US Constitution?

We've had a lot of blue laws for a nation that doesn't consider itself Christian, haven't we? And are not the Ten Commandments quite literally written in stone on the wall of the Supreme Court's HQ? That was done on purpose, to be sure. No million monkeys and million typewriters at work in that equation. What do these facts suggest about your argument? If the proof is in the pudding, we should be looking at the pudding, yes?

 
 

User avatar
GHETTO BLASTER

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 4,928
Politics: Republican

"Creationists" who believed in a "hands on" God dominated our European Ancestors / Founding Fathers belief system.
They felt God was on their side.
People of today can see the fallacy of thinking that God plays favorites and that mankind just "sprang into being" from dirt.
In spite of my core beliefs I identify as a Christian and try to observe the Golden Rule in my day to day dealings with my fellow man.
I think there are millions of other Americans who share my beliefs.

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
Rock » 28 Apr 2022, 2:56 pm » wrote: https://news.gallup.com/poll/358364/rel ... icans.aspx

According to Gallup 69% of Americans identify as Christian.

Whenever or wherever I go to mass it is usually crowded.
So... is America, then, a Christian nation, or no?
 

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
Pastafarian » 28 Apr 2022, 2:55 pm » wrote: Christians and deists founded this nation, so in that regard, it is a nation founded by Christians, mostly.

But, in regard to laws, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, it is a secular nation.

Tricky question. That’s why I didn’t vote.
It IS a tricky question - perhaps even trickier than immediately apparent. 

User avatar
Rock

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 4,120
Politics: Conservative

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 3:39 pm » wrote: So... is America, then, a Christian nation, or no?

Did you not see my vote? Duh.  :\  

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
GHETTOBLASTER » 28 Apr 2022, 3:39 pm » wrote:
People of today can see the fallacy of thinking that God plays favorites and that mankind just "sprang into being" from dirt.
 
If not from dirt, whence, then?

And you say, "People of today" as if we are intellectually superior to the generation that framed this nation. Tell me, do you suppose that they understood biology better than we, less than we, or the same as we? My readings - admittedly superficial - indicate that they were quite comfortable with the science of gender. We aren't. Isn't it possible that they were even as briliant as we are about matters of whom God does and does not favor?
 

User avatar
GHETTO BLASTER

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 4,928
Politics: Republican

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 3:45 pm » wrote: If not from dirt, whence, then?

And you say, "People of today" as if we are intellectually superior to the generation that framed this nation. Tell me, do you suppose that they understood biology better than we, less than we, or the same as we? My readings - admittedly superficial - indicate that they were quite comfortable with the science of gender. We aren't. Isn't it possible that they were even as briliant as we are about matters of whom God does and does not favor?
We descended over a period of 1000s of years from the Primate Family....not dirt. Dirt is what all creatures are made of, but that has nothing to do with Adam & Eve just appearing as fully evolved humans.
I did not say the people of today are intellectually superior...not by a  long shot. We have the benefit of 300 years worth of anthropology to help form informed opinions.
I believe in a Creator but not in a God who plays favorites...especially not to those who pray the hardest before a football game.
I believe that traditional  gender roles [of White Europeans] evolved in the same way as any other successful survival strategies came about. 
 
Last edited by GHETTO BLASTER on 28 Apr 2022, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
GHETTOBLASTER » 28 Apr 2022, 4:04 pm » wrote: We descended over a period of 1000s of years from the Primate Family.
Primate - Wikipedia
...
I believe in a Creator but not in a God 
So... from dirt, then - by WAY of primates (which is silly, because we are primates). From God. 

Not from rock-water-lightning? From God. Yes?

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
Rock » 28 Apr 2022, 3:41 pm » wrote: Did you not see my vote? Duh.  Image

And what say you to a Christian nation exalting homsexuality and trnssexuality?

If America can be THAT unChristian, and yet a Christian nation, by what authority would you confute a claim that Iran is a Christian nation?

User avatar
GHETTO BLASTER

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 4,928
Politics: Republican

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 4:07 pm » wrote: So... from dirt, then - by WAY of primates (which is silly, because we are primates). From God. 

Not from rock-water-lightning? From God. Yes?

Primate - Wikipedia

User avatar
GHETTO BLASTER

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 4,928
Politics: Republican

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 4:07 pm » wrote: So... from dirt, then - by WAY of primates (which is silly, because we are primates). From God. 

Not from rock-water-lightning? From God. Yes?
What would you like me  to call our Creator so that I don't offend you.....GOD..?
No problemo.
 

User avatar
jerra b

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 934
Politics: Independent

Cannonpointer » 28 Apr 2022, 2:36 pm » wrote: This is an argument I have seen rage - I would like to see why people do or do not believe that America is (or used to be) a Christian nation.

Oh - almost forgot to mention: Please make an argument for your choice.
it was around the time of the witch burnings in europe and jefferson did not want that to happen in america so he included freedom of religion. but the founders were Christian. so it is six of one and half a dozen of other. the majority of documents and written constitution have Christian overtures basically.
 

User avatar
Vegas

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Giant Slayer
Posts: 14,975
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

This is a tricky question. Most of the founders were Christain, but they were insistent on freedom of religion. What is meant by a Christain nation when anyone can be any religion they want?

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
GHETTOBLASTER » 28 Apr 2022, 4:11 pm » wrote: What would you like me  to call our Creator so that I don't offend you.....GOD..?
No problemo.
I take no offense at any man's cosmology - save that man's whose cosmology allows him to harm children, or assist in their harm. 

I am just trying to understand your argument. We came from primates (actually, we are primates - but never mind that), nd there is a Creator. Let's say Bob.

So Bob made primates, and we evolved from primates - so Bob made us. Yes?

Or do you subscribe to roc-soup and lightning?
 

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 21,447
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom - the slutty one

WhistleSNAP
jerrab » 28 Apr 2022, 4:12 pm » wrote: it was around the time of the witch burnings in europe and jefferson did not want that to happen in america so he included freedom of religion. but the founders were Christian. so it is six of one and half a dozen of other. the majority of documents and written constitution have Christian overtures basically.
The witch burnings actually preceded Jefferson the better part of a century. 

Just to be clear, your thesis is that we were founded by Christians upon Christia principles, but we are not a Christian nation per se?
 
 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Annoyed Liberall, Beekeeper, Buffalo, Cannonpointer, ConsRule, crimsongulf, DeplorablePatriot, Famagusta, FOS, GHETTO BLASTER, golfboy, Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, hc73, Ike Bana, Independent, Jantje_Smit, jefftec, Jinn Martini, michaelf, Monderegal, nefarious101, NEILCAR, neue regel, Olivaw, PaperLi [Bot], Pastafarian, ROG62, Semrush [Bot], SJConspirator, Skans, sooted up Cyndi, Squatchman, Steve Jobs [Bot], TB7, Twitter [Bot], Vegas, walkingstick, Warcok, Xavier_Onassis, Yandex [Bot], Zeets2 and 569 guests