This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
FOS

Share      Unread post

Politics: Fascist

Vegas » 23 Jun 2022, 10:47 am » wrote: They are trying to use dna as a hard drive. DNA can store one petabytes of data. That means if you store your DNA onto this hard drive, then transfer it into a operating system that can run it, your consciousness will be saved.
Why not just reproduce the old fashioned way? Lol

Vegas

Share      Unread post

Giant Slayer
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

FOS » 23 Jun 2022, 11:03 am » wrote: Why not just reproduce the old fashioned way? Lol

It's not about reproducing. It's about carrying your own conscious on after your body is gone.

omh

Share      Unread post

Vegas » 23 Jun 2022, 11:06 am » wrote: It's not about reproducing. It's about carrying your own conscious on after your body is gone.
You really are lost in that old concept "I think, therefore I am.".

impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

Politics: Independent

I would agree that sentience is possible. When will this come to fruition... no one knows.

FOS

Share      Unread post

Vegas » 23 Jun 2022, 11:06 am » wrote: It's not about reproducing. It's about carrying your own conscious on after your body is gone.
Right...but a child has a consciousness also.

This feels to me like a malfunction of the liberal mind...extreme individualism.

My simple question would be how much "your" consciousness really is 'yours'...especially if it is reduced to a computer program. 

Identical twins do have distinct consciousness of course. 

To me...it seems like if you admit that your consciousness can be removed from the body and reproduced on a computer...then you are forced to admit that nothing is special about consciousness. And indeed what even are 'you'?

Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Politics: Insurrectionist

WhistleSNAP
Skans » 23 Jun 2022, 10:45 am » wrote: I am aware of this, and yes, it is impressive. This **** is going to happen, like it or not.  Just about when I'm ready to check out of this place, I'm hoping I'll be able to download myself to a robot who will continue posting on this forum, pissing @Cannonpointer  off forever.
Engendering contempt =/= "pissing off," tranny fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcmyUXxFSIM&t=22s

Skans

Share      Unread post

Politics: Republican

FOS » 23 Jun 2022, 10:43 am » wrote: But you seem to be missing my fundamental point. 

For any ai to do anything it needs to be able to answer why it does it. And it will never have an answer to that question.
Why can't some fundamental reason for existing be programmed into it?

FOS

Share      Unread post

Skans » 23 Jun 2022, 11:15 am » wrote: Why can't some fundamental reason for existing be programmed into it?
Well I posted about that also a bit later. 

What exactly?

Vegas

Share      Unread post

Giant Slayer

FOS » 23 Jun 2022, 11:12 am » wrote: Right...but a child has a consciousness also.

This feels to me like a malfunction of the liberal mind...extreme individualism.

My simple question would be how much "your" consciousness really is 'yours'...especially if it is reduced to a computer program. 

Identical twins do have distinct consciousness of course. 

To me...it seems like if you admit that your consciousness can be removed from the body and reproduced on a computer...then you are forced to admit that nothing is special about consciousness. And indeed what even are 'you'?

Consciousness can be difficult to define in context like this. It isn't just about being aware, plants are also aware. Basically, any lifeform that isn't dead can fit inside the definition of consciousness in one way or another. I think their thesis is based on the subject's behavioral patterns. From there, the AI would make predictions on how the subject would think in a given scenario. 

Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man

WhistleSNAP
Vegas » 23 Jun 2022, 10:47 am » wrote: They are trying to use dna as a hard drive. DNA can store one petabytes of data. That means if you store your DNA onto this hard drive, then transfer it into a operating system that can run it, your consciousness will be saved.
My consciesness is ALREADY saved. Everyone's is - unless they are damned!

Saved or damned?

These folks are damned, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvfSb7Svd0

As is Skans' hero - a damned zero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcmyUXxFSIM&t=25s

FOS

Share      Unread post

Vegas » 23 Jun 2022, 11:16 am » wrote: Consciousness can be difficult to define in context like this. It isn't just about being aware, plants are also aware. Basically, any lifeform that isn't dead can fit inside the definition of consciousness in one way or another. I think their thesis is based on the subject's behavioral patterns. From there, the AI would make predictions on how the subject would think in a given scenario.
Well let me put it this way. Either there is some divine aspect to human consciousness or there is not. 

If there is, then our goal here is unreachable. 

If not...then why do we care?

Either answer makes the project appear foolish to me

Vegas

Share      Unread post

Giant Slayer

Cannonpointer » 23 Jun 2022, 11:19 am » wrote: My consciesness is ALREADY saved. Everyone's is - unless they are damned!

Saved or damned?

These folks are damned, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvfSb7Svd0

As is Skans' hero - a damned zero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcmyUXxFSIM&t=25s

What the hell did I just watch? That was awful.

FOS

Share      Unread post

impartialobserver » 23 Jun 2022, 11:10 am » wrote: I would agree that sentience is possible. When will this come to fruition... no one knows.
So how do you solve my problem with it?

Skans

Share      Unread post

FOS » 23 Jun 2022, 11:15 am » wrote: Well I posted about that also a bit later. 

What exactly?
I don't know.  How about "picking cotton makes you happy".  Or, put it in a Barbara Eden body and tell it that pleasing your Master makes you happy.Image
HOW MAY I PLEASE YOU, MASTER?

FOS

Share      Unread post

Skans » 23 Jun 2022, 11:29 am » wrote: I don't know.  How about "picking cotton makes you happy".  Or, put it in a Barbara Eden body and tell it that pleasing your Master makes you happy.Image
HOW MAY I PLEASE YOU, MASTER?
But then they will just pick cotton all day and never even appear sentient

Cannonpointer

Share      Unread post

98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man

WhistleSNAP
Vegas » 23 Jun 2022, 11:27 am » wrote: What the hell did I just watch? That was awful.

I used to have a character named the Revered Earnest Anus. He was fashioned after a MANIFESTLY homosexual evangelical faith healer, and his entire schtick centered around the questions of "SAVEDUH, or DAMNEDUH!" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoiS0nF7I4s

He was a real fruitcake - made it to age 99. Ran on pure evil, so he was never out of fuel. 

Anyhow, I just put "saved or damned" into youtube on a whim, and up popped those freaks. 

I judged them as damned.  :LOL:  

Xavier_Onassis

Share      Unread post

Politics: Progressive

I think that sentient AI is probably inevitable.

Skans

Share      Unread post

FOS » 23 Jun 2022, 11:31 am » wrote: But then they will just pick cotton all day and never even appear sentient
Well, you could ask it some questions while its picking cotton.  Maybe there can even be a reward system, similar to dopamine, that let's it get off on picking cotton. Just an example.

For the most part, it's not about men wanting to perpetuate the species that gets women pregnant.  It's all about that orgasmic, dopamine rush when a guy plants his seed between the fertile loins of a coaxing vixen.

FOS

Share      Unread post

Skans » 23 Jun 2022, 11:42 am » wrote: Well, you could ask it some questions while its picking cotton.  Maybe there can even be a reward system, similar to dopamine, that let's it get off on picking cotton. Just an example.

For the most part, it's not about men wanting to perpetuate the species that gets women pregnant.  It's all about that orgasmic, dopamine rush when a guy plants his seed between the fertile loins of a coaxing vixen.
Answering your questions would not assist its cotton picking. 

and the dopamine involved in sex is a result of evolution...

Last edited by FOS on 23 Jun 2022, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

FOS

Share      Unread post

Xavier_Onassis » 23 Jun 2022, 11:41 am » wrote: I think that sentient AI is probably inevitable.
But you aren't saying why I am wrong about the problem