This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
Xavier_Onassis

Share      Unread post

Politics: Progressive

Neo » 05 Aug 2022, 1:56 pm » wrote: Just pointing out the racial appropriation. In the film she is supposed to be half black. Haven't followed her career but, if she is latinx then jk Simmons partner should also have been Latina. Guess that she was not white checked a box. First transgender superhero, check, first female batman, check. First non white bat person, check. 

Failure. Never to be released despite all the talent and resources involved.
If the actress is Dominican, she is almost certainly mixed White and Black, with perhaps some Taíno as well.

Neo

Share      Unread post

Politics: Conservative

Roll Out
Xavier_Onassis » 05 Aug 2022, 2:04 pm » wrote: If the actress is Dominican, she is almost certainly mixed White and Black, with perhaps some Taíno as well.
Fair. Again I am not gate keeping this. Jk Simmons wife is African black. Daughter is latinx. If that is acceptable appropriation, like Indian Kalama Harris claiming to be African American, so be it. 

freeman

Share      Unread post

Xavier_Onassis » 05 Aug 2022, 2:02 pm » wrote: I was discussing movies. Wonder Woman and The Beauty and the Beast (Linda Hamilton was the Beauty) were TV series, but you are right, they were positive female action roles.
I doubt many people have a problem with strong or positive female roles, even with reasonable action. I just quick grabbed this off of YouTube to illustrate the kind of absurd fantasy thing I was referring to (unfamiliar with the flick).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOseS-Einc

Xavier_Onassis

Share      Unread post

Politics: Progressive

Neo » 05 Aug 2022, 2:17 pm » wrote: Fair. Again I am not gate keeping this. Jk Simmons wife is African black. Daughter is latinx. If that is acceptable appropriation, like Indian Kalama Harris claiming to be African American, so be it.
Actors are not generally required to be genetic doubles of the characters they play.
No Hispanic people identify with the silly word "Latinx"
They could be a Latino or a Latina, Not Latinix
Latinx is not even pronounceable in Spanish.

Neo

Share      Unread post

Roll Out
Xavier_Onassis » 05 Aug 2022, 2:52 pm » wrote: Actors are not generally required to be genetic doubles of the characters they play.
No Hispanic people identify with the silly word "Latinx"
They could be a Latino or a Latina, Not Latinix
Latinx is not even pronounceable in Spanish.
Hey we agree here. I am one that believes race is inconsequential and certainly something a competent actor can overcome if taking. Plenty of noise about straight actors playing queer roles, white actors playing ethnic parts. I'm of the school that says it's acting, let them play the part. Not playing a gay role because you have never found the joy of sucking ****? Don't get it. Glad to see some progressives are aware of the cultural issues around the latinx issue, that never should have left the study group.