Want proof that millennials are stupid?

Started by crimsongulf

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules

15 replies to this topic Sticky this thread

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 4:21 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

Capitalist Capitalist political affiliation
Politics: Capitalist
Money: 30,107.11

Sunken dreams: Everything they own is at the bottom of John’s Pass

MADEIRA BEACH — Tanner Broadwell and Nikki Walsh dreamed the same dream: Give up the rat race, go live on a sailboat, see the Caribbean, maybe the world.

They sold everything they owned in Colorado. Last year they bought a 28-foot sailboat in Alabama and headed for Tarpon Springs. They lived at the marina for months, getting the Lagniappe ready for their journey. They said their goodbyes on Tuesday and set sail for Key West.

The next day, the dream died in John’s Pass.

The Lagniappe sank Wednesday night while sailing into this fishing village-turned-tourist stop. Their former home sits capsized, within sight of the bars and restaurants. Their belongings floated off to who knows where.

Before they abandoned ship, Walsh grabbed their social security cards, some cash, his ID and her phone — and Remy, their 2-year-old Pug.
They have no jobs, no savings and nowhere to go.

"I sold everything I had to do this," Broadwell said, "and I lost everything in a matter of 20 minutes."

o they started saving their money. He Ubered. They spent two years planning, and then finally did it. They sold everything they owned, even his sport-utility vehicle. In April they bought a 1969 Columbia sailboat in Alabama for $5,000, then spent that much fixing the 49-year-old boat.
They named it the Lagniappe (pronounced lanny-yap), Creole for bonus. "Like the 13th donut in a dozen," Broadwell said. "It’s something extra for you."

They had no sailing experience. His father helped them sail along the Gulf Coast, from Alabama to Panama City. That’s how the couple learned how to sail.

They reached Tarpon Springs in May. They docked at Mar Marina, where Broadwell got a job. They worked on the hull, rewired the boat and got it ready for their journey.

It was about 8:45 p.m. when they sailed into a new port, navigating a channel they had never sailed before, in the dark, fog rolling in.
Broadwell steered while Walsh stood at the bow, lighting their path with a spotlight, trying to figure out the navigational buoys. But the red and green buoys seemed out of place, they said, and the shoal wasn’t where their 2016-17 navigational charts said it should be. Had Hurricane Irma altered the channel?

Then it happened: The Lagniappe struck something underwater. Walsh almost flew off the deck.

Waves rolled the sailboat. It dipped from side-to-side, almost going under. Broadwell realized the keel had been ripped off the bottom.
Water started to leak into the cabin. They put their life jackets on (Remy, too.) Walsh dialed Sea Tow, the AAA of the marine world.
"My hands are shaking," she said. "I know I probably sounded like a crazy person to them. I’m stuttering trying to talk to them.
"They said they would be there in 40 minutes. I thought ‘That is a long time to spend out here.’"

Walsh ran into the flooded cabin and grabbed what little she could. The crash had thrown their things onto the floor. Now their stuff was floating.

"I’m just standing there in awe," she said. "I just lost everything I ever owned. I see my things floating away and I can’t get to them."
Sea Tow arrived about an hour later, and just in time. The Lagniappe was sinking in about 9-feet of water and about to roll over.

The rest of the night is a blur. Stranded on the side of the road with no help, some cash and no credit cards. Broadwell’s mother found them an Uber driver kind enough to spend hours helping them find a cheap motel room.

"How do I have everything," Walsh said, "and end up in a s----- hotel with nothing?"

They had no insurance. Nor will the Lagniappe ever sail again. It’s blue hull sticks out of the water in low tide.
In fact, the Coast Guard told the couple they need to get their boat out of there. It could cost up to $10,000 to remove and store it. They have about $90.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Sunken-dre ... _165308644

Ok lets see. you don't know shit about sailing or boats. Your entire net worth is 10K. You are trying to enter a strange inlet at night in the fog and shit happens.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Posted by Huey
  12,426 11 Feb 2018, 4:29 pm

Huey Proud Reinstated Member of the Misty Ignore List

Liberacon Liberacon political affiliation
Politics: Liberacon
Money: 12,426.02

crimsongulf » 11 Feb 2018 3:21 pm wrote:

MADEIRA BEACH — Tanner Broadwell and Nikki Walsh dreamed the same dream: Give up the rat race, go live on a sailboat, see the Caribbean, maybe the world.

They sold everything they owned in Colorado. Last year they bought a 28-foot sailboat in Alabama and headed for Tarpon Springs. They lived at the marina for months, getting the Lagniappe ready for their journey. They said their goodbyes on Tuesday and set sail for Key West.

The Lagniappe sank Wednesday night while sailing into this fishing village-turned-tourist stop. Their former home sits capsized, within sight of the bars and restaurants. Their belongings floated off to who knows where.

Before they abandoned ship, Walsh grabbed their social security cards, some cash, his ID and her phone — and Remy, their 2-year-old Pug.

"I sold everything I had to do this," Broadwell said, "and I lost everything in a matter of 20 minutes."

o they started saving their money. He Ubered. They spent two years planning, and then finally did it. They sold everything they owned, even his sport-utility vehicle. In April they bought a 1969 Columbia sailboat in Alabama for $5,000, then spent that much fixing the 49-year-old boat.
They named it the Lagniappe (pronounced lanny-yap), Creole for bonus. "Like the 13th donut in a dozen," Broadwell said. "It’s something extra for you."

They had no sailing experience. His father helped them sail along the Gulf Coast, from Alabama to Panama City. That’s how the couple learned how to sail.

They reached Tarpon Springs in May. They docked at Mar Marina, where Broadwell got a job. They worked on the hull, rewired the boat and got it ready for their journey.

It was about 8:45 p.m. when they sailed into a new port, navigating a channel they had never sailed before, in the dark, fog rolling in.
Broadwell steered while Walsh stood at the bow, lighting their path with a spotlight, trying to figure out the navigational buoys. But the red and green buoys seemed out of place, they said, and the shoal wasn’t where their 2016-17 navigational charts said it should be. Had Hurricane Irma altered the channel?

Then it happened: The Lagniappe struck something underwater. Walsh almost flew off the deck.

Waves rolled the sailboat. It dipped from side-to-side, almost going under. Broadwell realized the keel had been ripped off the bottom.
Water started to leak into the cabin. They put their life jackets on (Remy, too.) Walsh dialed Sea Tow, the AAA of the marine world.
"My hands are shaking," she said. "I know I probably sounded like a crazy person to them. I’m stuttering trying to talk to them.
"They said they would be there in 40 minutes. I thought ‘That is a long time to spend out here.’"

Walsh ran into the flooded cabin and grabbed what little she could. The crash had thrown their things onto the floor. Now their stuff was floating.

"I’m just standing there in awe," she said. "I just lost everything I ever owned. I see my things floating away and I can’t get to them."
Sea Tow arrived about an hour later, and just in time. The Lagniappe was sinking in about 9-feet of water and about to roll over.

The rest of the night is a blur. Stranded on the side of the road with no help, some cash and no credit cards. Broadwell’s mother found them an Uber driver kind enough to spend hours helping them find a cheap motel room.

"How do I have everything," Walsh said, "and end up in a s----- hotel with nothing?"

They had no insurance. Nor will the Lagniappe ever sail again. It’s blue hull sticks out of the water in low tide.
In fact, the Coast Guard told the couple they need to get their boat out of there. It could cost up to $10,000 to remove and store it. They have about $90.

Ok lets see. you don't know shit about sailing or boats. Your entire net worth is 10K. You are trying to enter a strange inlet at night in the fog and shit happens.

Are the Darwin Awards still around?

DrinkUrPruneJuice1's Photo
Posted by DrinkUrPruneJuice1
  44 11 Feb 2018, 4:32 pm

Classical Liberal Classical Liberal political affiliation
Politics: Classical Liberal
Money: 44.00

I do wonder, whether stupidity is on the rise with subsequent generations, or if the scope and proliferation of news media is such these days, that we simply just hear more about the stupid things people are doing, as more things seem to be documented these days, compared to say 50 years ago, or even 20 years ago with the birth of the internet. I do think though, that my generation, (I'm 22) has little common sense, and are just extremely lazy compared to earlier generations.

Posted by TheAmerican
  3,515 11 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

TheAmerican User avatar

Conservative Conservative political affiliation
Politics: Conservative
Money: 3,515.20

crimsongulf » 11 Feb 2018 3:21 pm wrote:

The ocean is nothing to play with!... I won't do it even if I own a damn oil tanker! Stay from that shit if you don't know anything about it!

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 5:16 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

Keep in mind, they were headed to the Keys with the grand total of 90 bucks. Said they were from Colorado, I suspect some Rocky Mountain "high" was involved.

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 6:01 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

Got some more funny info from my local TOW BOAT US operator. The guy that was dispatched for them realized they were in about 5 ft of water, they had already told him they had no money, he realized the POS boat was not worth the salvage cost and since they were in no danger he told em good luck.

Posted by Cannonpointer
  12,969 11 Feb 2018, 10:06 pm

Cannonpointer Sacred Cow Tipper
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man

Insurrectionist Insurrectionist political affiliation
Politics: Insurrectionist
Money: 12,968.82

DrinkUrPruneJuice1 » 11 Feb 2018 3:32 pm wrote:
I do wonder, whether stupidity is on the rise with subsequent generations, or if the scope and proliferation of news media is such these days, that we simply just hear more about the stupid things people are doing, as more things seem to be documented these days, compared to say 50 years ago, or even 20 years ago with the birth of the internet. I do think though, that my generation, (I'm 22) has little common sense, and are just extremely lazy compared to earlier generations.

Welcome.

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 10:14 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

I feel honored that this sok originated at 2:58 PM and immediately jumped in my "stupid fuck millennial" thread.

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

Posted by GeorgeWashington
  -19,813 11 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm

GeorgeWashington User avatar

Revolutionary Revolutionary political affiliation
Politics: Revolutionary
Money: -19,812.84

I should check the board more often. I was at John’s Pass tonight and would have liked to have seen that hull... for a good laugh

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 10:33 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

True info is coming in now. they bought the boat over at a Dog River marina for 5G, then proceed to spend the rest of their life savings on renovations of which half was cosmetic.

the object that they hit was the frikkin bottom, the reason that the keel broke was that the keel bolts were near rusted through, but paint was more important. Gotta look good while trying to kill yourself.

Posted by GeorgeWashington
  -19,813 11 Feb 2018, 10:33 pm

GeorgeWashington User avatar

Revolutionary Revolutionary political affiliation
Politics: Revolutionary
Money: -19,812.84

The internet is 69 years old, son.

Posted by crimsongulf
  30,107 11 Feb 2018, 10:38 pm

crimsongulf User avatar

Haven't heard much out of Allie Boy lately.

44 12 Feb 2018, 11:52 am

GeorgeWashington » 11 Feb 2018 9:33 pm wrote:

The internet is 69 years old, son.

But It wasn't available to most members of the public until the early 90s right? Before that, wasn't it just the military who used it.

44 12 Feb 2018, 12:40 pm

crimsongulf » 11 Feb 2018 9:14 pm wrote:

I feel honored that this sok originated at 2:58 PM and immediately jumped in my "stupid fuck millennial" thread.

Just thought it was a funny title, and I kinda agree with it.

44 12 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

Thank you

Return to No Holds Barred Political Forum