Impeller Versus Agitator....Which Do You Recommend?

Talk about anything but politics in this room.
63 posts
User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
EDIT: I have now moved this thread here from No Holds Barred.
Thank you to everyone who gave me their input.
I haven't quite decided yet, but I have a little more time.
I very much enjoyed this thread.
It's so nice when people from all parts of the political spectrum can put politics aside and just chat like friends.


I will move this to the Water Cooler after a while, but since I didn't think many people would see it there, I decided to post it here first.

We just got a new refrigerator last week and now we need a new washer.
Appliance always seem to break down in threes, so I wonder what will be next.

We ordered a washer with an impeller and no agitator to be delivered on August 20th.

I have never had one of those before, so I need some advice from those who have a washing machine with an impeller.

Do you like it better than machines with agitators?

This is the machine we ordered.



 
 
Log in or Register to remove ads


.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
Hello! Does anyone here own a washing machine?
 

.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

User avatar
Cedar

Unread post

User avatar
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Posts: 26,099
Politics: Classical Liberal

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 8:13 pm » wrote: Hello! Does anyone here own a washing machine?
Progressives don’t wash their clothes and the rest of us pay the hired help to wash ours for us.  
 
The Biden’s aren’t for sale, China already owns them.



User avatar
Rock

Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 6,672
Politics: Conservative

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 6:41 pm » wrote: I will move this to the Water Cooler after a while, but since I didn't think many people would see it there, I decided to post it here first.

We just got a new refrigerator last week and now we need a new washer.
Appliance always seem to break down in threes, so I wonder what will be next.

We ordered a washer with an impeller and no agitator to be delivered on August 20th.

I have never had one of those before, so I need some advice from those who have a washing machine with an impeller.

Do you like it better than machines with agitators?

This is the machine we ordered.


I don't know what an impeller is but we have and LG washer without an agitator and I'm not wild about it. It uses very little water and sometimes it seems that the clothes don't get very clean. We've had it for several years though and my wife has found ways to work around the lack of water that they use. I also think that they are the future of washers so we may as well get used to them. Bottom line, though, is if I had a choice I would stick with the agitator.  

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 16,943
Politics: Fascist
Location: cranium of a human

Front loader for me. Use less water, easier to unload to the dryer (both have the door on the front).
Haven't had a top loader in almost 20 years.
No agitator or impeller choice at all.
 


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
Rock » 05 Aug 2020, 8:38 pm » wrote: I don't know what an impeller is but we have and LG washer without an agitator and I'm not wild about it. It uses very little water and sometimes it seems that the clothes don't get very clean. We've had it for several years though and my wife has found ways to work around the lack of water that they use. I also think that they are the future of washers so we may as well get used to them. Bottom line, though, is if I had a choice I would stick with the agitator.
Basically an impeller is a washing machine without an agitator.


I've heard they use less water and are a lot gentler on your clothes than washers with an agitator.
My son has one and he has three kids, so they do a lot of laundry and he seems to like it.

I'm a little nervous because the GE machine we are replacing is only 4 years old, and I don't want to make another mistake.

I will never buy an LG appliance again.
The fridge we just had to replace was an LG.
Every time we opened the refrigerator door, the freezer door would pop open and stay open.
It was a pain in the ***.
There were many times when somebody accidentally left it open and everything in the freezer defrosted.
Then recently it started leaking water into both the freezer and fridge.
We figured it had to be from the water line for the ice maker, but it still kept happening after we shut off the water.

Living in the sticks is also a pain in the *** sometimes.
We ordered one fridge from Lowe's and after waiting 3 days for delivery, they brought us one that was all dented.
So then we ordered one from Home Depot.
The new fridge did not come with the ice maker installed and Home Depot would not install it.
Between the pandemic and living in the sticks, I can't find anyone who will install it.
I found a Maytag video on YouTube that walks you through the whole process.
I showed it to my son and he said he could do it, no problem.
Unlike his father, he's very handy.
I hope he can do it soon because I'm tired of dealing with filling ice trays.
I'm spoiled, I know.
 
 
 

.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
deezershoove » 05 Aug 2020, 8:59 pm » wrote: Front loader for me. Use less water, easier to unload to the dryer (both have the door on the front).
Haven't had a top loader in almost 20 years.
No agitator or impeller choice at all.
I have read a lot about people having problems with the doors on front loaders having an odor due to the development of mold.
Is that not an issue?
 

.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

User avatar
Deezer Shoove

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 16,943
Politics: Fascist
Location: cranium of a human

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 10:33 pm » wrote: I have read a lot about people having problems with the doors on front loaders having an odor due to the development of mold.
Is that not an issue?

I tend to keep the soap at minimum level. Not sure topping off the detergent contributes a lot.
But no, I don't have that issue. I'm on a well so there is not even chlorine to prevent mold.

Letting things sit in there wet for very long is not a good idea. It can develop a musty type odor in that case.
If I did have that mold or suspect it, I can run a sanitize cycle and add washer cleaner too. Never have though.


Please seat yourself.

I like the very things you hate.

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 102,980
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom

WhistleSNAP
Cedar » 05 Aug 2020, 8:26 pm » wrote: Progressives don’t wash their clothes and the rest of us pay the hired help to wash ours for us.
That's where I went. I'm like, OMG gag me with a spoon LAUNDRY?

Apparently someone thinks that EVERY colored gal is going to be token VP. It's only gonna be one - LaShawndra is still gonna wash and fold my skivvies.
 
 
Accomplishments are helpful, yes - but the critical qualifications for VP are melanin and a vagina.

When your map disputes the territory, it's your map that is wrong.
Hearing much sizzle, expect little steak
Lies are a lazy man's truths
Humanity's law of the jungle is survival of the tribe

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Nostalgia is a crime against past and present
You cannot betray me, only yourself, to me

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 102,980
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom

WhistleSNAP
deezershoove » 05 Aug 2020, 8:59 pm » wrote: Front loader for me. Use less water, easier to unload to the dryer (both have the door on the front).
Haven't had a top loader in almost 20 years.
No agitator or impeller choice at all.

Same.
Accomplishments are helpful, yes - but the critical qualifications for VP are melanin and a vagina.

When your map disputes the territory, it's your map that is wrong.
Hearing much sizzle, expect little steak
Lies are a lazy man's truths
Humanity's law of the jungle is survival of the tribe

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Nostalgia is a crime against past and present
You cannot betray me, only yourself, to me

User avatar
Cannonpointer

Unread post

User avatar
98% Macho Man
98% Macho Man
Posts: 102,980
Politics: Insurrectionist
Location: Your sister's bedroom

WhistleSNAP
Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 10:30 pm » wrote: Basically an impeller is a washing machine without an agitator.


I've heard they use less water and are a lot gentler on your clothes than washers with an agitator.
My son has one and he has three kids, so they do a lot of laundry and he seems to like it.

I'm a little nervous because the GE machine we are replacing is only 4 years old, and I don't want to make another mistake.

I will never buy an LG appliance again.
The fridge we just had to replace was an LG.
Every time we opened the refrigerator door, the freezer door would pop open and stay open.
It was a pain in the ***.
There were many times when somebody accidentally left it open and everything in the freezer defrosted.
Then recently it started leaking water into both the freezer and fridge.
We figured it had to be from the water line for the ice maker, but it still kept happening after we shut off the water.

Living in the sticks is also a pain in the *** sometimes.
We ordered one fridge from Lowe's and after waiting 3 days for delivery, they brought us one that was all dented.
So then we ordered one from Home Depot.
The new fridge did not come with the ice maker installed and Home Depot would not install it.
Between the pandemic and living in the sticks, I can't find anyone who will install it.
I found a Maytag video on YouTube that walks you through the whole process.
I showed it to my son and he said he could do it, no problem.
Unlike his father, he's very handy.
I hope he can do it soon because I'm tired of dealing with filling ice trays.
I'm spoiled, I know.

It sunds like you're living with a side by side fridge. That's so last century. You need the french doors with the roll out freezer s=drawer at the bottom.
Accomplishments are helpful, yes - but the critical qualifications for VP are melanin and a vagina.

When your map disputes the territory, it's your map that is wrong.
Hearing much sizzle, expect little steak
Lies are a lazy man's truths
Humanity's law of the jungle is survival of the tribe

Only weak ideas must be protected from debate, and only religions declare people heretics.

Nostalgia is a crime against past and present
You cannot betray me, only yourself, to me

User avatar
sooted up Cyndi

Unread post

User avatar
Water Cooler Poleece
Water Cooler Poleece
Posts: 9,573
Politics: Independent

ROFL
I bought a new frig. It had to be small  to fit in a tight space. Had it  a couple of weeks.  I don't like it all.(GE) Needs a few more racks inside. My chauffeur drops me off at my alt docs.. I said run up to where we bought the frig and tell them its missing some racks.. No he finds out. They aren't missing. You have to buy them separately. Gees-us. Frig cost me enough.   

User avatar
nefarious101

Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 31,242

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 6:41 pm » wrote: I will move this to the Water Cooler after a while, but since I didn't think many people would see it there, I decided to post it here first.

We just got a new refrigerator last week and now we need a new washer.
Appliance always seem to break down in threes, so I wonder what will be next.

We ordered a washer with an impeller and no agitator to be delivered on August 20th.

I have never had one of those before, so I need some advice from those who have a washing machine with an impeller.

Do you like it better than machines with agitators?

This is the machine we ordered.


I bought a new washer and dryer for my son last week.  After taking a look at them I decided to let them pick what they wanted and stayed out of the decision making.  I was pushing for the maytag commercial units but I got that look from them...you know...that look saying "please let us get what we want"

User avatar
Huey

Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 66,401
Politics: Liberacon

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 8:13 pm » wrote: Hello! Does anyone here own a washing machine?

I do of course.  LOL!  But have no idea about the differences.
no, you haven't proven that by assertion. Unless you can show your mention prior to my post of Feb 8, you lose..

Hey BV, did Jan 24th 2020 come before or after Feb 8th 2020?

Racetex (RSIG)

Unread post

      
      
Posts: 5,522
Politics: Independent

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 6:41 pm » wrote: I will move this to the Water Cooler after a while, but since I didn't think many people would see it there, I decided to post it here first.

We just got a new refrigerator last week and now we need a new washer.
Appliance always seem to break down in threes, so I wonder what will be next.

We ordered a washer with an impeller and no agitator to be delivered on August 20th.

I have never had one of those before, so I need some advice from those who have a washing machine with an impeller.

Do you like it better than machines with agitators?

This is the machine we ordered.


Hands down the best washer we have had. 

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/LGWADREBS98.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=LGWADREBS98

 

User avatar
Rock

Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 6,672
Politics: Conservative

Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 10:30 pm » wrote: Basically an impeller is a washing machine without an agitator.


I've heard they use less water and are a lot gentler on your clothes than washers with an agitator.
My son has one and he has three kids, so they do a lot of laundry and he seems to like it.

I'm a little nervous because the GE machine we are replacing is only 4 years old, and I don't want to make another mistake.

I will never buy an LG appliance again.
The fridge we just had to replace was an LG.
Every time we opened the refrigerator door, the freezer door would pop open and stay open.
It was a pain in the ***.
There were many times when somebody accidentally left it open and everything in the freezer defrosted.
Then recently it started leaking water into both the freezer and fridge.
We figured it had to be from the water line for the ice maker, but it still kept happening after we shut off the water.

Living in the sticks is also a pain in the *** sometimes.
We ordered one fridge from Lowe's and after waiting 3 days for delivery, they brought us one that was all dented.
So then we ordered one from Home Depot.
The new fridge did not come with the ice maker installed and Home Depot would not install it.
Between the pandemic and living in the sticks, I can't find anyone who will install it.
I found a Maytag video on YouTube that walks you through the whole process.
I showed it to my son and he said he could do it, no problem.
Unlike his father, he's very handy.
I hope he can do it soon because I'm tired of dealing with filling ice trays.
I'm spoiled, I know.
Yep that's just like the one we have, except ours is stainless steel. It takes very little water but I don't fell like the clothes get completely clean. 

We have several LG products. Our washing machine, our dishwasher, a TV. I like them well enough.

User avatar
Blue Devil

Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 426

My wife bought an LG front loader when we bought our house. She loves it.  We have two kids who don't appear to be running around in dirty/stained clothes.  So I'm guessing it does its job.  

I have a Kenmore with an agitator purchased by my grandmother in 1994. I had hookups installed in our pool house, and that's where I wash my clothes. After they're done I bring them inside and us the LG dryer. I'm 37. I don't trust a washing machine that doesn't fill up with water.

That washer is a tank too. I had to replace the spin switch, but other than that, it's still going strong after 26 years.
 

User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
Cannonpointer » 06 Aug 2020, 12:13 am » wrote:
Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 10:30 pm » wrote: Basically an impeller is a washing machine without an agitator.


I've heard they use less water and are a lot gentler on your clothes than washers with an agitator.
My son has one and he has three kids, so they do a lot of laundry and he seems to like it.

I'm a little nervous because the GE machine we are replacing is only 4 years old, and I don't want to make another mistake.

I will never buy an LG appliance again.
The fridge we just had to replace was an LG.
Every time we opened the refrigerator door, the freezer door would pop open and stay open.
It was a pain in the ***.
There were many times when somebody accidentally left it open and everything in the freezer defrosted.
Then recently it started leaking water into both the freezer and fridge.
We figured it had to be from the water line for the ice maker, but it still kept happening after we shut off the water.

Living in the sticks is also a pain in the *** sometimes.
We ordered one fridge from Lowe's and after waiting 3 days for delivery, they brought us one that was all dented.
So then we ordered one from Home Depot.
The new fridge did not come with the ice maker installed and Home Depot would not install it.
Between the pandemic and living in the sticks, I can't find anyone who will install it.
I found a Maytag video on YouTube that walks you through the whole process.
I showed it to my son and he said he could do it, no problem.
Unlike his father, he's very handy.
I hope he can do it soon because I'm tired of dealing with filling ice trays.
I'm spoiled, I know.
It sunds like you're living with a side by side fridge. That's so last century. You need the french doors with the roll out freezer s=drawer at the bottom.
No. I don't have the space for a side by side.
We bought an 18 cubic foot top freezer fridge.
It goes under a cabinet and we could not go over 66 inches in height.
The fridge we got is 65 and 3/8 inches in height.
Just made it.


 
 

.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
Huey » 06 Aug 2020, 7:03 am » wrote:
Misty » 05 Aug 2020, 8:13 pm » wrote: Hello! Does anyone here own a washing machine?
I do of course.  LOL!  But have no idea about the differences.
So you don't do laundry?
Shame on you.
My husband does laundry.
 

.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

User avatar
Misty

Unread post

User avatar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 38,503
Politics: Liberal
Contact:

PPE Mask
sootedupCyndi » 06 Aug 2020, 3:58 am » wrote:
I bought a new frig. It had to be small  to fit in a tight space. Had it  a couple of weeks.  I don't like it all.(GE) Needs a few more racks inside. My chauffeur drops me off at my alt docs.. I said run up to where we bought the frig and tell them its missing some racks.. No he finds out. They aren't missing. You have to buy them separately. Gees-us. Frig cost me enough. 
I have the same issue with space.
We were lucky to find an 18 cubic foot fridge that fit.
We thought we were going to have to get a 16 cubic foot, which is too small.

We got a Maytag fridge this time.
I'm happy with it.
Now I just need to get the ice maker installed.



 
 

.......................................We're all trapped in this insane hellscape.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 314 guests


Log in or Register to remove ads