This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules
DrMorbius

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberal

I was at a car repair place Thursday morning, getting some work done on my brakes.  A man came in and was having a brief discussion with the men who worked there; he mentioned that he had recently moved from Rockford, Illinois.

I should mention I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, about 34 miles from downtown.  Rockford is another city in Illinois, about 90 miles northwest of Chicago.

So the men are talking back and forth while I sit quietly waiting for my car to be done.  One of the men from the repair place mentioned that houses were more affordable in Rockford, and the man who had come in said bitterly, "Well, now the property taxes are going up, because Biden is President."

Now, the federal government has nothing whatsoever to do with property taxes in a state, as far as I know.  The man might have complained about our state's Democratic Governor, J.B. Pritzker, who is massively unpopular outside the collar counties around Chicago.  I might have understood that.  Illinois has been in rather poor financial shape for decades, and Governor Pritzker raised taxes when he got into office a bit over two years ago.

But how does someone conclude that property taxes are being raised on a state level because a Democrat became President?  I'm thinking he didn't conclude this at all, but rather that he somehow connected a rise in property taxes to someone he dislikes.

Meanwhile I looked online and I see that property taxes for a house valued at $150k went up $9 in September.  My property taxes went up by hundreds in 2020 versus 2019.  $9 is nothing, relatively speaking.

Cedar

Share      Unread post

Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister
Politics: Classical Liberal

The federal government can affect your local taxes with cuts to programs, education was a big one here a few years back. That said I don’t think Biden has been in long enough to **** up your taxes yet, next year should be interesting. :rofl:

DrMorbius

Share      Unread post

Politics: Liberal

Cedar » 19 Mar 2021, 1:09 am » wrote: The federal government can affect your local taxes with cuts to programs, education was a big one here a few years back. That said I don’t think Biden has been in long enough to **** up your taxes yet, next year should be interesting. Image
Typically, cuts in federal spending lead to increases in state taxes.  President Biden has not cut federal spending; in fact, he has been spending like a Republican so far.  I've been watching government a long time, and here's the deal: both parties spend like crazy.  Democrats increase taxes (usually on top earners and corporations), Republicans decrease taxes (again, usually mostly in favor of top earners and corporations), but both sides spend.  Debt increases when Democrats are in power, debt increases astronomically when Republicans are in power.  Debt always increases.

SJConspirator

Share      Unread post

Politics: Green

DrMorbius » 19 Mar 2021, 1:18 am » wrote: Typically, cuts in federal spending lead to increases in state taxes.  President Biden has not cut federal spending; in fact, he has been spending like a Republican so far.  I've been watching government a long time, and here's the deal: both parties spend like crazy.  Democrats increase taxes (usually on top earners and corporations), Republicans decrease taxes (again, usually mostly in favor of top earners and corporations), but both sides spend.  Debt increases when Democrats are in power, debt increases astronomically when Republicans are in power.  Debt always increases.

facts

FOS

Share      Unread post

Politics: Fascist

DrMorbius » 19 Mar 2021, 12:59 am » wrote: I was at a car repair place Thursday morning, getting some work done on my brakes.  A man came in and was having a brief discussion with the men who worked there; he mentioned that he had recently moved from Rockford, Illinois.

I should mention I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, about 34 miles from downtown.  Rockford is another city in Illinois, about 90 miles northwest of Chicago.

So the men are talking back and forth while I sit quietly waiting for my car to be done.  One of the men from the repair place mentioned that houses were more affordable in Rockford, and the man who had come in said bitterly, "Well, now the property taxes are going up, because Biden is President."

Now, the federal government has nothing whatsoever to do with property taxes in a state, as far as I know.  The man might have complained about our state's Democratic Governor, J.B. Pritzker, who is massively unpopular outside the collar counties around Chicago.  I might have understood that.  Illinois has been in rather poor financial shape for decades, and Governor Pritzker raised taxes when he got into office a bit over two years ago.

But how does someone conclude that property taxes are being raised on a state level because a Democrat became President?  I'm thinking he didn't conclude this at all, but rather that he somehow connected a rise in property taxes to someone he dislikes.

Meanwhile I looked online and I see that property taxes for a house valued at $150k went up $9 in September.  My property taxes went up by hundreds in 2020 versus 2019.  $9 is nothing, relatively speaking.

Prizker is a member of a powerful jewish family who have all pushed any and all agendas that could harm rural white people, who they have particular hatred for. They are especially known for their involvement in LGBTQ and transgender causes.

you better believe that they will use any and all power they have to harm rural whites...pushing opiates, pushing trans sterilization, and sure, raising property taxes.

I dont think they particularly require support from the federal government in order to do this...the real power of course is from jewish organizations and donors/financial institutions. They were doing stuff like this with trump as president as well. So in essence your intuition is correct...although according to 'official' politics yes the federal government does matter because state/federal relations are important.

Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

Antifa
DrMorbius » 19 Mar 2021, 12:59 am » wrote: I was at a car repair place Thursday morning, getting some work done on my brakes.  A man came in and was having a brief discussion with the men who worked there; he mentioned that he had recently moved from Rockford, Illinois.

Illinois has STATE property taxes?

FOS

Share      Unread post

Blackvegetable » 19 Mar 2021, 1:21 pm » wrote: Illinois has STATE property taxes?

every state does, genius

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

Track Star, Question Ducker

DrMorbius » 19 Mar 2021, 1:18 am » wrote: Typically, cuts in federal spending lead to increases in state taxes.  President Biden has not cut federal spending; in fact, he has been spending like a Republican so far.  I've been watching government a long time, and here's the deal: both parties spend like crazy.  Democrats increase taxes (usually on top earners and corporations), Republicans decrease taxes (again, usually mostly in favor of top earners and corporations), but both sides spend.  Debt increases when Democrats are in power, debt increases astronomically when Republicans are in power.  Debt always increases.
I think this  is a very fair summation

Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

Antifa
FOS » 19 Mar 2021, 1:23 pm » wrote: every state does, genius
My property tax is local...90% of proceeds go to local, municipal and county.

there is a 10% contribution to State Ed.

FOS

Share      Unread post

Blackvegetable » 19 Mar 2021, 1:34 pm » wrote: My property tax is local...90% of proceeds go to local, municipal and county.

there is a 10% contribution to State Ed.

you mean it goes to police, hospitals, and 'schools' for blacks

Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

Antifa
Debt increases when Democrats are in power, debt increases astronomically when Republicans are in power.  Debt always increases.
ceteris paribus, you would expect debt to grow with the economy..

The issue really is growth rate of spending.

On that score the parties have not been indistinguishable since 1970...

Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

Antifa
FOS » 19 Mar 2021, 1:36 pm » wrote: you mean it goes to police, hospitals, and 'schools' for blacks
No, I mean it is not levied by the state..

Which makes me wonder how the **** you can have any involvement in a 10 million dollar real estate portfolio..

FOS

Share      Unread post

Blackvegetable » 19 Mar 2021, 1:38 pm » wrote: No, I mean it is not levied by the state..

Which makes me wonder how the **** you can have any involvement in a 10 million dollar real estate portfolio..
retard, i didnt contradict you. Especially in an ubran area the county property taxes are huge, cause blacks

Last edited by FOS on 19 Mar 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackvegetable

Share      Unread post

Antifa
FOS » 19 Mar 2021, 1:39 pm » wrote: retard, i didnt contradict you. Especially in an ubran area the country property taxes are huge, cause blacks
Where are you paying a STATE property tax, **** slack jaw...

FOS

Share      Unread post

Blackvegetable » 19 Mar 2021, 1:40 pm » wrote: Where are you paying a STATE property tax, **** slack jaw...

every state has a state property tax, idiot

FOS

Share      Unread post

Blackvegetable » 19 Mar 2021, 1:40 pm » wrote: Where are you paying a STATE property tax, **** slack jaw...

have you ever paid taxes at all? i called you out on being totally ignorant and you are desperately trying to turn it around. Yes every state does have property tax. that is a fact. Sure, there is also going to be 'city of chicago' tax will be more than the state property tax, cause you are paying for the mistakes of dumb ***. But that is irrelevant to the question of state property tax. You didnt know a simple thing and I called you out on it. Stop squirming.

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

FOS » 19 Mar 2021, 1:53 pm » wrote: have you ever paid taxes at all? i called you out on being totally ignorant and you are desperately trying to turn it around. Yes every state does have property tax. that is a fact. Sure, there is also going to be 'city of chicago' tax will be more than the state property tax, cause you are paying for the mistakes of dumb ***. But that is irrelevant to the question of state property tax. You didnt know a simple thing and I called you out on it. Stop squirming.
I have lived in 5 states owned  a house in all and never paid a state property tax

FOS

Share      Unread post

Vegasgiants » 19 Mar 2021, 2:03 pm » wrote: I have lived in 5 states owned  a house in all and never paid a state property tax

well every state has a state property tax. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-t ... axes/11585

Vegas giants

Share      Unread post

It's a county tax

FOS

Share      Unread post

no. there is also a state tax. It just tends to be small compared to the county tax