Talk about anything but politics in this room.
User avatar
sooted up Cyndi

Share      Unread post

User avatar
Water Cooler Poleece
Water Cooler Poleece
Posts: 17,664
Politics: Beer and Popcorn

ROFL
WillieJackson » 25 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm » wrote: I'm in Brooklyn.

Nets and Cyclones are cool, but manhattan is the action.

So many people around don't wrry. Safer here than newark

stay of the side streets in the city they hit you fast you'll get jumped. Neighborhood change fast.

walk between subway cars. Stay out of empty subway cars. Move to a crowded one

Anyone walking up to you is 50-50 watch it
ha ha ha. That's good advice.

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

WillieJackson » 27 Apr 2022, 6:58 pm » wrote:  Not the question genius dope
My answer responded to far more important questions than you are capable of asking.
 

User avatar
You Know Who!

Share      Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 138

Skans » 28 Apr 2022, 7:55 am » wrote: My answer responded to far more important questions than you are capable of asking.
You didn't even answer the question lol
 

User avatar
You Know Who!

Share      Unread post

User avatar
  
  
Posts: 138

sootedupCyndi » 28 Apr 2022, 1:04 am » wrote: ha ha ha. That's good advice.
Another one is know where the bathrooms is at.  nyc has branch libaries all over the place.  Bkly too.  Not good to piiss your pants :(  

User avatar
roadkill

Share      Unread post

User avatar
      
      
Posts: 10,563
Politics: Conservative

impartialobserver » 30 Mar 2022, 11:34 am » wrote: I have been east of Denver twice and it was to Minneapolis and Kansas City. Will be visiting NYC in August. Have all of the main items (concert tix, hotel, flight) lined up and paid for. What I am wondering about now is if I should take precautions against being pickpocketed or mugged. Looking at various backpacks, pants that claim to be anti-theft. My question is it worth the cost or is NYC relatively safe?

I always carry my wallet in my front pocket.  

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 20 Apr 2022, 1:26 pm » wrote: its a mix of excitement and being a bit anxious. This is going to be brand new to myself and my nephew. He has been Boise, Reno, and Sacramento and that is it. NYC is a whole new ball of wax.
Don't even think about bringing a gun.  Or a knife.  You won't be able to get either on the plane going to NY.

Personally, I'd bring a couple of cheap stainless steel pens, like this one which costs about $15.  You may not be able to carry it in your carry-on. 
Image
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QIIAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

In NYC, you will need to practice situational awareness. From what I can tell, its much worse now than it was when I last visited. I would not carry any sort of backpack.  But, the pockets-inside-pants idea is a really good one.  A cheap money belt which you can wear inside of your pants (not fanny pack) is also a good idea.  No watches.  No rings. No jewelry.  No earbuds.  Keep cellphone hidden.

If I were looking to mug someone, I'd target the oblivious idiot wearing a pair of earbuds.  Nothing says "TAKE MY STUFF AND BEAT ME TO DEATH WHILE I'M JAMM'N TO MY TUNES" like a pair of earbuds.  Distracted people are prime targets of thieves. 


 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

Skans » 03 May 2022, 11:21 am » wrote: Don't even think about bringing a gun.  Or a knife.  You won't be able to get either on the plane going to NY.

Personally, I'd bring a couple of cheap stainless steel pens, like this one which costs about $15.  You may not be able to carry it in your carry-on. 
Image
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QIIAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

In NYC, you will need to practice situational awareness. From what I can tell, its much worse now than it was when I last visited. I would not carry any sort of backpack.  But, the pockets-inside-pants idea is a really good one.  A cheap money belt which you can wear inside of your pants (not fanny pack) is also a good idea.  No watches.  No rings. No jewelry.  No earbuds.  Keep cellphone hidden.

If I were looking to mug someone, I'd target the oblivious idiot wearing a pair of earbuds.  Nothing says "TAKE MY STUFF AND BEAT ME TO DEATH WHILE I'M JAMM'N TO MY TUNES" like a pair of earbuds.  Distracted people are prime targets of thieves.
I am going to order some stainless steel pens now and figure out if I can get them through airport security. The crime statistics do not paint a great picture. We are planning to walk or take public transit everywhere hence why I am factoring in security. I am thinking that if possible, get a hotel that has an in-room safe and just lock away my cellphone on some days. Then no need to be on alert for someone stealing it. Will admit that I am out of my element when it comes to this. Boise, Reno, Sacramento... there is virtually no chance of someone mugging you, pickpocketing you, and such. The worst that happens is that someone vandalizes your car. 
 

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 03 May 2022, 12:42 pm » wrote: I am going to order some stainless steel pens now and figure out if I can get them through airport security. The crime statistics do not paint a great picture. We are planning to walk or take public transit everywhere hence why I am factoring in security. I am thinking that if possible, get a hotel that has an in-room safe and just lock away my cellphone on some days. Then no need to be on alert for someone stealing it. Will admit that I am out of my element when it comes to this. Boise, Reno, Sacramento... there is virtually no chance of someone mugging you, pickpocketing you, and such. The worst that happens is that someone vandalizes your car.
If you stay out of the bad areas like parts of Brooklyn, Bronx and sketchy parts of Manhattan, and you don't look like oblivious victims, I seriously doubt you will have much trouble.  Personally, I've only taken the subway once or twice.  The times I'd have to go to New York, I just pay for a cab or I would walk.

I'm not the most experienced in going to New York.  I'm sure there are some who have lived there that could direct you better than I.  I just know what I'd want when I'm there.....something in my pocket that I can use as a weapon; and nothing exposed with any valuables in it.  No backpacks, etc. A backpack in New York is like a garbage can full of food in the woods. You wouldn't walk around with a trash-bag of meat-scraps when out hiking in the wilderness, would you?
 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

Skans » 03 May 2022, 1:45 pm » wrote: If you stay out of the bad areas like parts of Brooklyn, Bronx and sketchy parts of Manhattan, and you don't look like oblivious victims, I seriously doubt you will have much trouble.  Personally, I've only taken the subway once or twice.  The times I'd have to go to New York, I just pay for a cab or I would walk.

I'm not the most experienced in going to New York.  I'm sure there are some who have lived there that could direct you better than I.  I just know what I'd want when I'm there.....something in my pocket that I can use as a weapon; and nothing exposed with any valuables in it.  No backpacks, etc. A backpack in New York is like a garbage can full of food in the woods. You wouldn't walk around with a trash-bag of meat-scraps when out hiking in the wilderness, would you?

The pens will not make it through security but thinking about shipping them to our hotel. The hotel that i chose has an in room safe. Probably paranoid but everyone has their flaws. 

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 01 Jun 2022, 11:56 am » wrote: The pens will not make it through security but thinking about shipping them to our hotel. The hotel that i chose has an in room safe. Probably paranoid but everyone has their flaws.
Not even in checked luggage?  I've brought knives back in checked luggage not too long ago. When I visited Alaska, I bought several knives made there and just packed them in my regular checked luggage.  Of course, you can't carry on any of that stuff, though. Or, heck, just go to a store in NY and buy some stainless steel pens!  Even more fun.
 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

Skans » 01 Jun 2022, 12:44 pm » wrote: Not even in checked luggage?  I've brought knives back in checked luggage not too long ago. When I visited Alaska, I bought several knives made there and just packed them in my regular checked luggage.  Of course, you can't carry on any of that stuff, though. Or, heck, just go to a store in NY and buy some stainless steel pens!  Even more fun.
I have already setup a care package to be sent to the hotel and should be ready when i get there. Stainless steel pens and a handy little swiss-army-knife-like item. Probably a bit too paranoid but better to be safe. Besides, I am a damn hobbit.. 5'4" and 140 lbs. I have convinced my nephew to not have a backpack on when we are out in the city for fri-sun. If I had a fourth day, i would find a way to get to West Point but that is not the case. 
 

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 24 Jun 2022, 5:06 pm » wrote: I have already setup a care package to be sent to the hotel and should be ready when i get there. Stainless steel pens and a handy little swiss-army-knife-like item. Probably a bit too paranoid but better to be safe. Besides, I am a damn hobbit.. 5'4" and 140 lbs. I have convinced my nephew to not have a backpack on when we are out in the city for fri-sun. If I had a fourth day, i would find a way to get to West Point but that is not the case.
Normally, I'd say you are a bit paranoid.  But, NY these days, with all these protests and everything, 4th of July coming up and NY pretty raw over the overturning of their gun law - I think you are probably doing the wise thing. Hope you know how to use this kind of thing!  Personally, I would have just put the stainless steel pens in my checked luggage.  I like to buy hand made knives in places I visit, and I generally just stuff them in my checked bag.  Never had a problem.

One time, I bought my wife a piece of Lalique glass from the Lalique store in LA when I had to go out there on business. I put that in my carry on luggage not thinking anything of it, other than it was freaking heavy (not a real large piece).  Well, TSA flagged me as it went through the scanner.  I got to look at the scanner and it looked like a solid black cylinder.  So, I opened my bag and it was obviously just a piece of nice glass. Turns out that because it has lead in the glass (looks clear to the eye) it completely blocks the x-ray scanner.  TSA didn't give me any problem over that.
 
 
 

User avatar
RunningWithScissors

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 574

impartialobserver » 30 Mar 2022, 11:34 am » wrote: I have been east of Denver twice and it was to Minneapolis and Kansas City. Will be visiting NYC in August. Have all of the main items (concert tix, hotel, flight) lined up and paid for. What I am wondering about now is if I should take precautions against being pickpocketed or mugged. Looking at various backpacks, pants that claim to be anti-theft. My question is it worth the cost or is NYC relatively safe?
Gosh, I'm an ex-NY'er. You're not going to get mugged unless you look like a tourist. Don't be carrying a backpack while walking the streets at night. Try to look like a normal person. :-) 

The only time I almost got mugged is because my girlfriend gave money to a homeless person. Then we got followed by 3 other peeps. But I noticed them and turned them away. Just act normal and you'll be fine! 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

Skans » 24 Jun 2022, 7:15 pm » wrote: Normally, I'd say you are a bit paranoid.  But, NY these days, with all these protests and everything, 4th of July coming up and NY pretty raw over the overturning of their gun law - I think you are probably doing the wise thing. Hope you know how to use this kind of thing!  Personally, I would have just put the stainless steel pens in my checked luggage.  I like to buy hand made knives in places I visit, and I generally just stuff them in my checked bag.  Never had a problem.

One time, I bought my wife a piece of Lalique glass from the Lalique store in LA when I had to go out there on business. I put that in my carry on luggage not thinking anything of it, other than it was freaking heavy (not a real large piece).  Well, TSA flagged me as it went through the scanner.  I got to look at the scanner and it looked like a solid black cylinder.  So, I opened my bag and it was obviously just a piece of nice glass. Turns out that because it has lead in the glass (looks clear to the eye) it completely blocks the x-ray scanner.  TSA didn't give me any problem over that.

Have not been in a fight of any kind since 9th grade (1992) but am in decent physical shape and plenty feisty if need be. Still, have never been to a place quite like NYC. Yes, been to LA and SF but not for any real length of time. Mostly drive in one night and drive out the next. 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

RunningWithScissors » 25 Jun 2022, 1:44 pm » wrote: Gosh, I'm an ex-NY'er. You're not going to get mugged unless you look like a tourist. Don't be carrying a backpack while walking the streets at night. Try to look like a normal person. :-) 

The only time I almost got mugged is because my girlfriend gave money to a homeless person. Then we got followed by 3 other peeps. But I noticed them and turned them away. Just act normal and you'll be fine!

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. 

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 27 Jun 2022, 10:35 am » wrote: Have not been in a fight of any kind since 9th grade (1992) but am in decent physical shape and plenty feisty if need be. Still, have never been to a place quite like NYC. Yes, been to LA and SF but not for any real length of time. Mostly drive in one night and drive out the next.
I'm curious to hear how everything went!
 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

Skans » 27 Jun 2022, 11:06 am » wrote: I'm curious to hear how everything went!
Trip is not until Mid-August. If I did this trip 20 years ago, I would have done virtually no planning. However, being a parent for now 8.5 years... the planning bug is firmly rooted. It drives my nephew nuts but oh well, it is what it is. It was his idea to go NYC and not other stops on this band's tour. I tried to talk him into St. Louis Missouri, Sioux Falls South Dakota, or Las Cruces NM but he was not going to have it. 

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 27 Jun 2022, 11:09 am » wrote: Trip is not until Mid-August. If I did this trip 20 years ago, I would have done virtually no planning. However, being a parent for now 8.5 years... the planning bug is firmly rooted. It drives my nephew nuts but oh well, it is what it is. It was his idea to go NYC and not other stops on this band's tour. I tried to talk him into St. Louis Missouri, Sioux Falls South Dakota, or Las Cruces NM but he was not going to have it.
I'd probably pick NYC over St. Louis.
 

User avatar
impartialobserver

Share      Unread post

User avatar
   
   
Posts: 1,202
Politics: Independent

Skans » 27 Jun 2022, 11:24 am » wrote: I'd probably pick NYC over St. Louis.

Why is that? I know nothing about the midwest other than two quick trips to Minneapolis in 2017 and Kansas City in 2020. 

User avatar
Skans

Share      Unread post

User avatar
     
     
Posts: 3,059
Politics: Republican

impartialobserver » 27 Jun 2022, 11:40 am » wrote: Why is that? I know nothing about the midwest other than two quick trips to Minneapolis in 2017 and Kansas City in 2020.
I've never been to St. Louis.  But, St. Louis has been a hotbed of rioting and protesting - not a place I'd be interested in visiting for at least the next 10 years.
 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: murdock and 210 guests