who released the Christie emails?

Started by Thrash-Ra

This political chat room is for you to sound off about any political ideology and discuss current political topics. Everyone is welcome, yes, even conservatives, but keep in mind, the nature of the No Holds Barred political chat forum platform can be friendly to trolling. It is your responsibility to address this wisely. Forum Rules

PreviousNext
118 replies to this topic Sticky this thread

Posted by Cedar
  8,548 09 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

Cedar Sideways Down an Old Dirt Road
Cannonpointer's Internet Barrister

Classical Liberal Classical Liberal political affiliation
Politics: Classical Liberal
Money: 8,547.72

GeorgeWashington » 09 Jan 2014 9:19 am wrote:

Wait a few days and see what bodies float up on the jersey shore.

Too much "Sopranos", eh? :rofl:

Posted by Annoyed Liberall
  9,629 09 Jan 2014, 10:28 am

Annoyed Liberall User avatar
Hot Little Twist
Hot Little Twist

Liberal Liberal political affiliation
Politics: Liberal
Money: 9,629.10

Cannonpointer » 09 Jan 2014 9:20 am wrote:
Annoyed Liberall » 09 Jan 2014 8:10 am wrote:
I'm with you. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Christie's top aides that HE hired orchestrated the lane closures to punish a politician for not endorsing Christie. That much is clear from the emails.

One school of thought is that they did so on his orders, and contributed to Granny's death.. Another is that he appointed people who acted criminally without his consent, and contributed to Granny's death. If you wish to give Christie the benefit of the doubt, that puts you category two.

How beneficial is that? I don;t see a political future for him under EITHER scenario - and I challenge you to provide another. Go ahead. Benefit Humpty Dumpty with a third explanation of events. :)

I suppose that is true. Ultimately he is responsible for his people.

Posted by Cedar
  8,548 09 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

Cannonpointer » 09 Jan 2014 9:14 am wrote:
My guess would be that the agency which SUBPOENAED those emails RIGHTLY shared them (not "leaked" them) with the press.

^^^^That....it's not like just anyone can get your private emails and text msgs.

GOP SS's Photo
Posted by GOP SS
  781 09 Jan 2014, 10:33 am

GOP SS    

Independent Independent political affiliation
Politics: N/A
Money: 781.26

It's like the DC madam thing...just a few names get leaked off a list which just happens to be politicians whom have to vacate positions...the details of the leak and why just that name never make any sense....

Posted by TheAmerican
  3,065 09 Jan 2014, 10:46 am

TheAmerican User avatar

Conservative Conservative political affiliation
Politics: Conservative
Money: 3,065.33

TotallyRad » 09 Jan 2014 8:50 am wrote:
TheAmerican » 09 Jan 2014 8:47 am wrote:
Thrash-Ra » 09 Jan 2014 8:36 am wrote:
Lol probably. She wants to be the nominee for 2016.

No, I mean the 'concept' is the same... her and Christie!

The libturds have to 'destroy' someone if he/she is a threat. Doesn't matter if it is a lie.

Sarah Palin didn't need help derailing her own campaign.

oh c'mon Rad... you're a 'seasoned' citizen and on the wrong side of 50! You're smarter than that!

Posted by Huey
  12,666 09 Jan 2014, 10:49 am

Huey Proud Reinstated Member of the Misty Ignore List

Liberacon Liberacon political affiliation
Politics: Liberacon
Money: 12,665.91

I think it was that evil and diabolical Clinton machine. Had to be. Some poll or two showed her and Christie neck and neck.

Posted by golfboy
  48,014 09 Jan 2014, 10:54 am

golfboy Liberal Anti-Matter

Money: 48,013.77

TheAmerican » 09 Jan 2014 9:46 am wrote:

oh c'mon Rad... you're a 'seasoned' citizen and on the wrong side of 50! You're smarter than that!

On what evidence do you base this claim regarding Rad's intelligence?
I've seen no evidence to support this wild hypothesis.

Posted by Thrash-Ra
  326 09 Jan 2014, 3:23 pm

Thrash-Ra User avatar
Gun Moll and Tot Wrangler

Money: 326.17

GeorgeWashington » 09 Jan 2014 9:19 am wrote:

Wait a few days and see what bodies float up on the jersey shore.

Something big will pop off in DC and this will be a non issue. Slow news week. American is covered jn snow. What else is there to report?

Posted by Thrash-Ra
  326 09 Jan 2014, 3:28 pm

Thrash-Ra User avatar

Cannonpointer » 09 Jan 2014 9:20 am wrote:

Christie's top aides that HE hired orchestrated the lane closures to punish a politician for not endorsing Christie. That much is clear from the emails.

One school of thought is that they did so on his orders, and contributed to Granny's death.. Another is that he appointed people who acted criminally without his consent, and contributed to Granny's death. If you wish to give Christie the benefit of the doubt, that puts you category two.

How beneficial is that? I don;t see a political future for him under EITHER scenario - and I challenge you to provide another. Go ahead. Benefit Humpty Dumpty with a third explanation of events. :)

Third explanation, hot-muzzled weapon: these "emails" appear to have been patched together by someone with a rudimentary knowledge of Photoshop. Where are the names of who released the emails, rightly, in your opinion? Why has no one stepped forward to claim the credit? Could it be that whoever did is waiting to see if these allegations actually destroy Christie?

Skeptic's Photo
Posted by Skeptic
  1,854 09 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

Skeptic      

Democratic Democratic political affiliation
Politics: Democratic
Money: 1,854.22

Thrash-Ra » 09 Jan 2014 8:08 am wrote:
I'm surfing various sources right now, and all they've said so far in regards to these emails is that they 'recently surfaced' and were released by 'news sources.' Which sources? Where are the names?

We have names of whistleblowers and insiders in both them Bush and Obama admins. Why should this be any different?

This is what I call a Rising Star Controversy. We see it all the time whenever a politician or even athlete starts to gain notoriety: someone is always in the wings to accuse him or her of some atrocity.

Bush -- Katrina. Obama comes into the public eye, and racists and birthers bleed out of the woodwork. Palin's daughter gets knocked up and everyone loses their minds.

Christine's situation consists of
A. Being a rising star
B. ALLEGATIONS

So who put out the emails? What am I overlooking here? I've defended Obama. I'll defend Christie, too.

Here's your answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Record_(Bergen_County)

The Record followed the Fort Lee lane closure controversy regarding the September 2013 four-day closure of the dedicated toll lanes for a Fort Lee, New Jersey entrance to the upper level of the George Washington Bridge which caused hours of traffic delays. In December 2013 it obtained internal emails showing that Port Authority of New York and New Jersey officials were warned of hardships caused by GWB lane closures and nevertheless failed to respond to complaints.[8] On January 8, 2014 The Record first published emails and text messages obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request which tied New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, to the closure. The Record described "vindictive lane closures" intended to cause massive traffic jams. Updated versions of the article covered the national media coverage of the newly released material and Governor Christie's response.

Posted by Cedar
  8,548 09 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Skeptic » 09 Jan 2014 2:41 pm wrote:

Here's your answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Record_(Bergen_County)

The Record followed the Fort Lee lane closure controversy regarding the September 2013 four-day closure of the dedicated toll lanes for a Fort Lee, New Jersey entrance to the upper level of the George Washington Bridge which caused hours of traffic delays. In December 2013 it obtained internal emails showing that Port Authority of New York and New Jersey officials were warned of hardships caused by GWB lane closures and nevertheless failed to respond to complaints.[8] On January 8, 2014 The Record first published emails and text messages obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request which tied New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, to the closure. The Record described "vindictive lane closures" intended to cause massive traffic jams. Updated versions of the article covered the national media coverage of the newly released material and Governor Christie's response.

Pretty sure you can't use FOIA to get personal emails and text msgs.

Skeptic's Photo
Posted by Skeptic
  1,854 09 Jan 2014, 3:50 pm

Skeptic      

Cedarswamp » 09 Jan 2014 2:48 pm wrote:

Pretty sure you can't use FOIA to get personal emails and text msgs.

The governor's office ain't 'personal.'

Posted by Huey
  12,666 09 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

I think Christies was made aware and then left to go to sleep. He will probably announce a full investigation then tell us the results will be made public after whatever the next important election.

Posted by Thrash-Ra
  326 09 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

Thrash-Ra User avatar

2 pages and Skeptic comes through for me :wub: now I can investigate. Though, they don't seem like a rag, but rather a legit news source. I like that.

I haven't seen anything about this on the news, just news sites. Have you, Skeptic?

Posted by Huey
  12,666 09 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Thrash-Ra » 09 Jan 2014 2:23 pm wrote:
Something big will pop off in DC and this will be a non issue. Slow news week. American is covered jn snow. What else is there to report?

This is a stop gap measure to divert away from the ACA until immigration takes the stage very shortly.

Skeptic's Photo
Posted by Skeptic
  1,854 09 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Skeptic      

Thrash-Ra » 09 Jan 2014 2:53 pm wrote:
2 pages and Skeptic comes through for me :wub: now I can investigate. Though, they don't seem like a rag, but rather a legit news source. I like that.

I haven't seen anything about this on the news, just news sites. Have you, Skeptic?

MSNBC - Rachel Maddow - last night.

It's a relatively small, local newspaper that takes actual reporting (as opposed to corporate sludge-pumping) seriously.

Posted by Annoyed Liberall
  9,629 09 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Annoyed Liberall User avatar
Hot Little Twist
Hot Little Twist

Money: 9,629.10

It was all over Fox this morning.

Posted by Thrash-Ra
  326 09 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm

Thrash-Ra User avatar

Ah, yes. Maddow. I remember. And I don't watch Fox News unless a resident happens to have it on in their room, so I didn't see that, lol.

thelion's Photo
Posted by thelion
  1,294 09 Jan 2014, 4:24 pm

thelion    

Capitalist Capitalist political affiliation
Politics: Capitalist
Money: 1,294.28

Cannonpointer » 09 Jan 2014 9:14 am wrote:
My guess would be that the agency which SUBPOENAED those emails RIGHTLY shared them (not "leaked" them) with the press.

Except that subpeona authority usually comes with the responsibility to preserve the confidentiality of the subpeona'ed materials/testimony.

IOW, in your scenario, someone would be looking at criminal charges for leaking that material.

Posted by golfboy
  48,014 09 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

golfboy Liberal Anti-Matter

Money: 48,013.77

thelion » 09 Jan 2014 3:24 pm wrote:

Except that subpeona authority usually comes with the responsibility to preserve the confidentiality of the subpeona'ed materials/testimony.

IOW, in your scenario, someone would be looking at criminal charges for leaking that material.

"Usually" isn't true, and this information wasn't subpoenaed, it was requested under a freedom of information request.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/01/timeline_of_the_port_authoritys_george_washington_bridge_lane_closure_controversy.html
Nov. 13: The Port Authority remains mum on the lane closures despite mounting criticism and a barrage of questions from reporters at its board meeting in Jersey City. Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen) files a public records request seeking information and documents related to the lane closings.

You should actually understand the subject before making declarative statements about what happened.

PreviousNext

Return to No Holds Barred Political Forum