Biden VP Choice:--- Who Do You Favor And Why?

Debate the issues that are the valued by liberals in this political chat forum. Try to stay on topic and respect your fellow liberals. We all feel strongly about certain issues. Keep that in mind as you debate with your peersin the liberal forum. Forum Rules
Forum rules

Rules For The Liberal's Only Room

Please read the Forum Rules before posting. Feel free to browse but only Liberals may post in this room
27 posts
bludog

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator
Politics: Progressive

We all know the importance of Biden's choice of VP
Here are WAPO's picks as of June 6.

1. Kamala D. Harris: The California senator has been and remains the favorite, both on this list and many others. Many Biden allies view her as the safest and best fit, given the scrutiny she’s already faced as a 2020 candidate. And if it’s true that the recent unrest increases the odds that Biden would pick a black woman, she’s the one with the most stature. One thing to keep in mind, though: She’s also served as a prosecutor, and that record has been at-issue. (Previous ranking: 1)
2. Elizabeth Warren: Warren seems to be trying to make herself a more appealing pick for the job. After quarreling with Biden during the primary over her support for Medicare for all vs. his support for improving Obamacare, she seems to have conveniently warmed to the latter approach. She has also offered a blunt “yes” when asked whether she’d take the job, and well-respected Democratic pollster Stanley Greenberg has reportedly laid out the case for Warren helping Biden unite the party after her ally Bernie Sanders’s withdrawal. (Previous ranking: 4)
3. Gretchen Whitmer: Unlike others, the Michigan governor doesn’t have the luxury of spending a bunch of time lobbying for the job, given the number of crises her state has faced in recent weeks. But she has said she’s been in contact about it. And she has earned President Trump’s ire, with Trump at one point saying he urged Vice President Pence not to call her about the coronavirus outbreak and at another point threatening to withhold funding from Michigan over its move toward expanded vote-by-mail. Having someone who provokes Trump in this manner could be a benefit. However, experience leading through the crises has left her more vulnerable to attacks: Republicans have made her a symbol of overreach in coronavirus restrictions. She ran into a significant problem in recent days: Her husband cited his spouse while trying to get a boat put in the water for Memorial Day weekend. Whitmer called it a “failed attempt at humor.” (Previous ranking: 3)
4. Tammy Baldwin: If Klobuchar is in fact less likely now, the senator from her neighboring Wisconsin would be a very logical alternative — especially given that state’s status as a vital one in the presidential race. Baldwin has been less forthright about her interest in the job, but has said that she’s been in “regular contact” with the Biden campaign. Here’s Post data analyst and columnist David Byler making a pretty compelling case for her. (Previous ranking: 5)
5. Amy Klobuchar: If Bottoms’s and Demings’s stocks are rising, Klobuchar’s has been widely assumed to be falling. The reason: Klobuchar served as Hennepin County attorney (where Minneapolis is located) when the officer now charged with second-degree murder in the Floyd case, Derek Chauvin, was involved with five other officers in a deadly shooting in October 2006. But Klobuchar was elected to the Senate just days later, and the decision not to bring the case was made by a grand jury several months after Klobuchar had ascended to the upper chamber. Klobuchar would bring plenty to the ticket, and it’s too early to suggest she’s disqualified. But you can bet Klobuchar’s work as a prosecutor would be something they’d want to vet and think through. (Previous ranking: 2)
6. Val Demings: The Florida congresswoman has also seen her stock rise in recent weeks, owing in large part to her past as police chief of the Orlando Police Department. She wrote a widely read Washington Post op-ed recently titled, “My fellow brothers and sisters in blue, what the hell are you doing?” (Previous ranking: 7)
7. Keisha Lance Bottoms: Another black woman from Georgia joins this list after expanding her national profile following the deaths of George Floyd in Minneapolis and Ahmaud Arbery in her own state. The 50-year-old Atlanta mayor has impressed Democrats far and wide with both her handling of the unrest in Atlanta and — importantly — her public appearances. She was also one of Biden’s earliest endorsers and has served as a surrogate for his campaign. Biden has effusively praised her performance. “You’ve been incredible," he said. "I’ve watched you like millions and millions of Americans have on television of late. Your passion, your composure, your balance has been really incredible.” But being a mayor of a big city doesn’t always translate well to running for higher office, given the many difficult local decisions for which you can be held accountable — and which may not have previously been unearthed. (Previous ranking: n/a)
8. Stacey Abrams: The former Georgia gubernatorial candidate has been the most forceful of all in campaigning for the job — something for which she makes no apologies. “Tradition does not serve those who have been marginalized or disadvantaged," she recently told The Washington Post. “And therefore my response has to meet the moment.” What impact that might have on Biden’s actual selection is an open question. But it does seem to have caused other contenders, including Rice and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), to be more open about their interest as well. (Previous ranking: 9)
9. Tammy Duckworth: Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D) said recently that his fellow senator from Illinois will be interviewed for the job. Duckworth also suggested she would be inclined to accept the offer, saying, "I personally have always answered the call when my country has asked me to serve.” (Previous ranking: 8)
10. Susan E. Rice: Rice’s name often won’t appear on these kinds of lists, but I think people underestimate her. For one, she has said she would accept it. For two, as the Atlantic’s Edward-Isaac Dovere writes, she might be the best complement to Biden from a governing experience standpoint. And three, she has been a very vocal critic of the Trump administration, which would set her up nicely to assume the traditional role of a running mate. (Previous ranking: 11)
11. Michelle Lujan Grisham: The New Mexico governor has reportedly told allies that she’s being vetted for the job. And here’s one columnist’s take on why she should be the pick: New Mexico was ahead of the game on the coronavirus, she’s got experience running a statewide health system, she’s proven an electoral winner, and she’s shown a willingness to provoke, having crashed a White House immigration meeting in 2018 when she was chairwoman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. (Previous ranking: 10)

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little :--- Franklin D. Roosevelt

billking

Unread post

Awww Bludog Kamala has to be the AG first simply put she has to be the one to nail Trump and as many of his disgusting cronies and put them away for a very long long time. My first pick is Liz Warren and now I think Stacy Abrams is up there to along with Klobuchar. The Vice president is always a resounding echo of a president's agenda and I think Warren and the other two would do well. I guess what a lot of it obviously boils down to is how well electorally does each candidate help a Biden ticket. Warren is the most popular by name and I think has a very inviting personality that people for the most part like. Amy will most likely be a good help across the northern states that Hillary Clinton lost and may make the most sense since she does come across very passionately when expressing herself. Stacy Abrams is imo sort of a wild card but not a risk per say, I do know the black vote will definitely be there if she gets the job but other than running for governor 2 years ago I honestly dont know a whole lot more about her but I think there's a chance we may get to know her a lot more in the coming weeks. Kamala Harris is a brilliant prosecutor and I can't think of anyone more qualified to not only destroy Trump and shred everyone else in his wake but to bring a much needed calm to the country with all the turmoil we're living in.

bludog

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

billking » 15 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm » wrote: Awww Bludog Kamala has to be the AG first simply put she has to be the one to nail Trump and as many of his disgusting cronies and put them away for a very long long time. My first pick is Liz Warren and now I think Stacy Abrams is up there to along with Klobuchar. The Vice president is always a resounding echo of a president's agenda and I think Warren and the other two would do well. I guess what a lot of it obviously boils down to is how well electorally does each candidate help a Biden ticket. Warren is the most popular by name and I think has a very inviting personality that people for the most part like. Amy will most likely be a good help across the northern states that Hillary Clinton lost and may make the most sense since she does come across very passionately when expressing herself. Stacy Abrams is imo sort of a wild card but not a risk per say, I do know the black vote will definitely be there if she gets the job but other than running for governor 2 years ago I honestly dont know a whole lot more about her but I think there's a chance we may get to know her a lot more in the coming weeks. Kamala Harris is a brilliant prosecutor and I can't think of anyone more qualified to not only destroy Trump and shred everyone else in his wake but to bring a much needed calm to the country with all the turmoil we're living in.
I would be satisfied with Kamala Harris to attract the Black demographic and for her experience as DA.  Or Liz Warren to bring together the Progressive and Moderate wings of the Party and for her comprehensive knowledge of economics. Her wit doesn't hurt either.

I also like the diplomatic experience and outspoken demeanor of Susan Rice.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little :--- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Phelix_Dacat

Unread post

Politics: Liberal

Antifa
In 2016, 7% less African-American voted than in 2012. For each 100 African-American voters in 2012, there were 93 in 2016.

90% of 2012's 100 voters = 90.0 votes.
90% of 2016's 93 voters = 83.7 votes.

Joe needs 2012 turnout, not 2016 turnout, amongst African-American's. Period. Once that is done, we can work on taking all the down ticket elections, too.

Having Barack Obama campaign for him is a given. Already happening. He needs a black women for his VP.

Joe should go on TV and offer the VP position to Michelle Obama. Even if she says no thanks, that will change a lot. He'll still need Stacy or Kamala. But just think if Michelle says, "Yes."

Olivaw

Unread post

My top pick is still Warren because she has a brilliant mind and can help bring progressives on board.

Interesting that WaPo has Kamala Harris in the top spot after she attacked Biden so effectively in the debates. Given her record as DA and California AG, can she really bring in African Americans?

Michelle Obama and Oprah would be hugely popular but I can’t see either taking the demotion from most admired women in America.

Susan Rice would be an interesting choice and a fine one, IMO.

Klobuchar and Baldwin might help with undecided Midwesterners. How many of them are there? 20...30?
Science is not a liberal conspiracy.

Phelix_Dacat

Unread post

Antifa
The way the African-American press have written about Klobuchar since George Floyd, the worst move is selecting her as Veep. African-American turnout might be even worse in 2020 than it was in 2016, when it was down 7% from 2012.

Fair. Not fair. Doesn't really matter. There is a lot of positive things to say about Klobuchar. IMHO a major voting bloc for the Democratic Party will take her nomination as a direct slight. Klobuchar is an unforced error. Much like Kaine was an unforced error and just as fatal.

RollingRock

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Beer
Phelix_Dacat » 16 Jun 2020, 12:12 pm » wrote: The way the African-American press have written about Klobuchar since George Floyd, the worst move is selecting her as Veep. African-American turnout might be even worse in 2020 than it was in 2016, when it was down 7% from 2012.

Fair. Not fair. Doesn't really matter. There is a lot of positive things to say about Klobuchar. IMHO a major voting bloc for the Democratic Party will take her nomination as a direct slight. Klobuchar is an unforced error. Much like Kaine was an unforced error and just as fatal.
I could not agree more, Phelix.  Timing is a b***** and Klobuchar is, unfortunately, odd woman out.  I tend to believe, as of right now, that Biden's VP pick will almost certainly be an African American woman.  I like what I'm seeing out of the Mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms.  She seems tough, compassionate, strong and focused.  We need exactly that.

"A nation will not survive morally or economically when a few have so much yet so many have so little." ....Bernie Sanders

Phelix_Dacat

Unread post

Antifa
RollingRock » 16 Jun 2020, 12:22 pm » wrote: I could not agree more, Phelix.  Timing is a b***** and Klobuchar is, unfortunately, odd woman out.  I tend to believe, as of right now, that Biden's VP pick will almost certainly be an African American woman.  I like what I'm seeing out of the Mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms.  She seems tough, compassionate, strong and focused.  We need exactly that.
The little I know of Keisha Lance Bottoms looks good. I'll take some time over the next few days and do some research on her. I should have already done it the last time you mentioned her. Thanks for reminding me.

RollingRock

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Beer
Phelix_Dacat » 16 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm » wrote: The little I know of Keisha Lance Bottoms looks good. I'll take some time over the next few days and do some research on her. I should have already done it the last time you mentioned her. Thanks for reminding me.
Not a problem, Phelix!      I think she'd make a solid VP.  I also like Stacey Abrams - she's outstanding.  

"A nation will not survive morally or economically when a few have so much yet so many have so little." ....Bernie Sanders

RollingRock

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Beer
Interesting news. Amy Klobuchar appeared on Lawrence O'Donnell this evening and announced she was taking herself out of the VP consideration, saying she told Biden on the phone yesterday that he should nominate a woman of color.

I can't say I disagree with her.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/p ... ident.html

billking

Unread post

Has the Biden campaign given any indication of when Joe will choose his running mate? Ah never mind just heard by August, I have a feeling that it's going to be Kamala Harris though.

RollingRock

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Beer
billking » 19 Jun 2020, 4:19 am » wrote: Has the Biden campaign given any indication of when Joe will choose his running mate? Ah never mind just heard by August, I have a feeling that it's going to be Kamala Harris though.
I think it's going to be soon.  The convention is currently scheduled for August, so he would probably choose a few weeks in advance of that.  I'm excited to see who he picks.

Phelix_Dacat

Unread post

Antifa
RollingRock » 16 Jun 2020, 12:38 pm » wrote:
Phelix_Dacat » 16 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm » wrote: The little I know of Keisha Lance Bottoms looks good. I'll take some time over the next few days and do some research on her. I should have already done it the last time you mentioned her. Thanks for reminding me.
Not a problem, Phelix!      I think she'd make a solid VP.  I also like Stacey Abrams - she's outstanding.
I really like what I've read about Keisha Lance Bottoms. Strong person. The only negative I can find is that her husband is a VP at Home Depot. The co-founder of the company is a huge Trump supporter. That's a tenuous complaint at best.
RollingRock » 18 Jun 2020, 9:52 pm » wrote: Interesting news. Amy Klobuchar appeared on Lawrence O'Donnell this evening and announced she was taking herself out of the VP consideration, saying she told Biden on the phone yesterday that he should nominate a woman of color.

I can't say I disagree with her.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/p ... ident.html
Amy gained a lot of respect from me for that call. She put the country and party above her own political aspirations. She even told Biden what he needs to hear, choose a women of color for the position.

There are very few politicians IMHO who will put country ahead of themselves. Trump doesn't. Most Republicans don't.

Joe needs to add her to his administration in a cabinet position. She's willing to tell him hard truths even if it doesn't help her. That's the type of person of integrity he needs surrounding him.

bludog

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Phelix_Dacat » 19 Jun 2020, 10:58 am » wrote: Amy gained a lot of respect from me for that call. She put the country and party above her own political aspirations. She even told Biden what he needs to hear, choose a women of color for the position.

There are very few politicians IMHO who will put country ahead of themselves. Trump doesn't. Most Republicans don't.

Joe needs to add her to his administration in a cabinet position. She's willing to tell him hard truths even if it doesn't help her. That's the type of person of integrity he needs surrounding him.
Well said.

RollingRock

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Beer
Phelix_Dacat » 19 Jun 2020, 10:58 am » wrote: I really like what I've read about Keisha Lance Bottoms. Strong person. The only negative I can find is that her husband is a VP at Home Depot. The co-founder of the company is a huge Trump supporter. That's a tenuous complaint at best.
I always go to Lowe's (vs Home Depot) for that reason.  The fact that her husband is a VP there, alone, isn't a big concern.  Hopefully he disagrees with Home Depot's politics.      
Amy gained a lot of respect from me for that call. She put the country and party above her own political aspirations. She even told Biden what he needs to hear, choose a women of color for the position.

I agree 100%.  America needs more country-over-party politicians like Amy Klobuchar.  She's stepping aside and doing what is best for the country at this time.  I've always liked Amy Klobuchar, even though she's more centrist than I in many ways.  She has integrity - and that's something sorely lacking in Washington and politics, in general.  

Olivaw

Unread post

Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Keisha Lance Bottoms and Val Demings are the top four, according to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/politics ... index.html
Science is not a liberal conspiracy.

Coolguy10013

Unread post

I really like Stacey Abrams. I've listened to her speak and she's always on point, not beating around the bush and answers questions in a way even novice knows where she's coming from.

Is she a good choice, I don't know.

Arris

Unread post

Either Keisha Lance Bottoms or Stacey Abrams would make a good VP. However I do lean toward Bottoms

billking

Unread post

Olivaw » 27 Jun 2020, 2:03 pm » wrote: Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Keisha Lance Bottoms and Val Demings are the top four, according to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/politics ... index.html

I don't know why but everytime I hear Val Demings she just nails it on every topic and has a very no nonsense aura of authority to her, I don't see any reason why she couldn't be the one.

RollingRock

Unread post

Liberals Only Moderator
Liberals Only Moderator

Beer
billking » 01 Jul 2020, 3:45 am » wrote: I don't know why but everytime I hear Val Demings she just nails it on every topic and has a very no nonsense aura of authority to her, I don't see any reason why she couldn't be the one.

I like Val Demings, too.  I'd gladly support her.  She did an outstanding job in the impeachment inquiry as well.  She's tough, intelligent, and would make a great VP.